Speaker cables other than Linn

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Naim amps (except the Nait-5) do consider the speaker cable as part of the load seen by the amplifier. If the speaker cable is not within Naim's capacitive load expected specs, it could end up damaging the amplifier.

K20 is exactly the same type of cable as Naim's NACA4 so there is no issue using K20 on Naim amps. Recent amps are designed to expect NACA-5 (or a similar capacitive load) as the speaker cable.

I'm using K20 on my bedroom's NAIT-2 and works wonderfully with my Rega Kytes.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Wolfie wrote:Marketing bullsh*t, if you ask me!
No, it isn't.

Naim amps (not sure about the latest designs as I haven't looked into them) uses a quasi-complementary output stage which can be found in RCA's semiconductor power circuits manuals from the 1960's. I have a 1968 copy in my bookshelf. It's easy to see that this type of design is inherently unstable.

I have played a bit with Naim amp boards and they are prone to oscillating when loaded with too much capacitance - something which the speaker cable can present. Therefore Naim demands the use of a low capacitance cable, such as NACA4/5. If they didn't do this, they would be acting irresponsibly IMHO.