Opinions of AT 440MLa on Akito II

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

G man

Opinions of AT 440MLa on Akito II

Post by G man »

I have an LP12 purchased new around 1984 or so. I had been running a K9 on the Akito II arm for a few years, but felt I was not quite getting "the music" off the disk. Recently, I purchased an AT 440 MLa, partly based on internet buzz, and partly based on price (if it does not work well, not too big a deal). However, after 35 hours or so, though there are certainly qualities from the cartridge I can admire, it is not overcoming the fact that it is an electro-mechanical device reading modulations in the groove. It is more extended, smooth, and detailed than the K9, but up to now, it is not getting out of the way and playing the music well enough.

I suppose it could just be me, but given the price, it could be that it is not going to be good enough. The table has had the Cirkus and Lingo upgrades, as well as recently gone through a Linn Clinic. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Do I need a much better cartridge? Does the AT just need more time?

Thanks,
Glenn
May all who seek find emotional comfort and spiritual peace
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

To be honest, many carts are better than a K9.
On the other hand, most are a lot worse... :wink:

You have a good LP12/PSU/arm, it deservs a good cart - why not Adikt?
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Glenn and welcome to the forum!

I have never listened to the AT 440 ML, so can't comment on that specifically. But when it comes to the internet buzzes, I currently can't think of one such product that I have been impressed by. Same thing with magazines; if everyone praises it, the chances are good it's one of those really soft and 3D-impressive performers that don't deliver the music at all. One of the few exception was the CD12, but I suspect many praised it just because it was so expensive and nice looking that they didn't dare say anything negative.

As Music lover said, your turntable seems really good, so an Adikt would be my first choice. I use one myself together with Cirkus/Ekos II/Lingo II/Trampolin/Quadraspire Wall Shelf. It sounds really good in my opinion, better than the K18 that it replaced (but that was worn out, so difficult to make an honest comparison).

Another thing is that the setup of the LP12 is quite critical - you need to consult someone who knows what they are doing. The phono stage and the physical placement of the turntable are also important. Please tell us more about that. It just might not be the cartridge after all...
Vidar P

Post by Vidar P »

The AT440, as all AT's, will suit the Akito 2 nicely; I actually have used it shortly myself. As a matter of fact, the Linn K5 and K9's are, I believe, AT designs.
However, I had far more success with the At OC9 although it requires a quiet MC riaa; and is a bit more expensive.

The AT440 will, I believe, show most of it's abilities after about 20 hours, but it wont start to sing properly until after 50 hours.

Regards
G man

Post by G man »

Thanks everyone. Right now the phono amp is a Bellari. Again took a chance, but his worked out: mine is quiet and sounds pretty good. I have had better in the past (Levinson, Sumiko), and in fact have a Sumiko "The Phono Amp" in storage somewhere. It used to sound pretty good and beat out several others in my system before I purchased it. That was a while ago though. It works with mm and mc cartridges too. These are some of the reasons I decided to try the AT cartridge: might want to go mc when I get the Sumiko back in the system. It is also why I bought the Bellari as a stopgap.

I will give the AT some more time, realizing that an upgrade may be called for at some point. As for the table, the suspension was replaced when the Cirkus was installed back in 96 or 97. It was replaced again at a clinic last year. I had the dealer readjust it again when I bought the Lingo because it was out again (actually out within a day or two after the clinic). Took it back again shortly after that because it was out again. I may have to get aquainted with doing it myself. It is level at home, though I do not know if it is level when worked at the shop.

The rack is a very large Sound Anchor. Only the top has a shelf or platform, the rest just being frame. That top is layered acrylic, pvc and corian. The table sits on a light, adjustable oak platform purchased from a Linn dealer years ago. This oak platform is on the top shelf. I have had this table a long time, and as a result am not totally ignorant. Of course, this does not mean I know anything of relevance either.

Again, thanks fellas.
Glenn
May all who seek find emotional comfort and spiritual peace