Melco firmware update sounds better

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Melco firmware update sounds better

Post by donuk »

I know a couple of us have played around with Melco NASs, and I have owned one since they first came out in the UK. I bought it because I could hear an improvement over the sound of a conventional NAS, and it is a very neat solution to have all my CD collection, in effect, sat neatly in the hifi shelves. No NAS on the floor, no fan noise, no ugly little wires.

The news is that there has just been a firmware upgrade - easy to do via the internet, which includes a newer version of Twonky.
I have just done this and am amazed at the improvement in sound quality, which I was not anticipating. I am so impressed that I have written to Alan Ainslie, Mr Melco UK, and asked how this could be. He says that they have made extensive changes to the firmware with this upgrade, so my findings are not surprising.

(He also mentions that the accompanying Melco CD ripper and app is due to be available any time.)

I know that on some forums that one is discouraged from reporting a view that changes in the digital domain affect sound quality; but I hear it for myself while not anticipating any changes.

Of course it could be all psychological I know, but I pass this finding on for anyone who has a Melco to try.

Donuk cold downtown York....

[PS if you do this upgrade, (I read) it is important to do an option 2 from SETTINGS to re-sync the database else you might get odd searching behaviour with new Twonky database. I found the automatic reboot on installation was sufficient, but - I use Lumin - I found my (Lumin) playlists pointed to the wrong addresses and had to be deleted. A small sacrifice to get an upgrade equivalent to half a black box.]
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Melco firmware update sounds better

Post by donuk »

The release of Melco firmware, 3.0 has just been announced
http://www.melco-audio.com/downloads/

It now has the ability to directly import your CDs onto its hard drives.

Donuk Sunny Downtown York
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Have you any idea what ripping software is being used? I've looked, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned on the Melco website.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I am not sure if anyone on this site uses the Melco - but there is some new firmware, which allows CDs to be played through it from a CD reader. Not used this facility.

Donuk Sunny Downtown York
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

If you have upgraded to Firmware 3.10 upgrade to 3.11 immediately.

There is an issue around the possibility that 3.10 might mess up the FAT and lose data on the Melco hardrives. (all models I think).

Fortunately I seem to be OK here, but there are some poor folk who have had to reformat and reinstall everything.

Bad luck for Melco - software developer's nightmare.

See their website for more details. Upgrade is easy via their internet installation menu.

Donuk sunny downtown York
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thankful for your updates, Don!

I don't have a Melco and haven't even tried it, but Thomas OK reported very positively about it.