LOL :)

Vaguely normal is perhaps closer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by ThomasOK »

beck wrote: 2021-06-22 18:19
Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-22 18:11 I thought this was an improvement recording a new track but listening back I'm not so sure now :(

Normal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuqkno6ffwpk7 ... 1.mp4?dl=0
Felt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2vhijry3amdb ... 0.mp4?dl=0
I just want you to stay Normal. I actually like you that way.......
The clips look like there is felt under the legs on both clips but I do like the first clip better.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 21:57 The clips look like there is felt under the legs on both clips but I do like the first clip better.
Wouldn't put it past me to mix up clips, but I checked and you can just about see the removed felt pads under the white table. They are the same colour as the carpet so difficult to spot.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was just looking at the big dark pads under the table legs which looked the same in both clips.
The LP12 Whisperer
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-22 13:34
Spannko wrote: 2021-06-22 10:34 The spikes/skeets idea is worth persevering with though, it’s definitely got its merits. Different spikes? Different skeet type things? Different materials? Ball bearings? The list is endless!
I'm just intrigued by the fact that the LP12 likes to be decoupled from the floor. Perhaps allowing the legs to be free but changing the surface would help. clearly something heavy is no use, but perhaps something hard and light.
I’m not surprised it likes to be decoupled from the floor tbh. Turntables are pretty efficient vibration detectors and any vibration entering the turntable from the floor can’t be a good thing. Most of the vibration in the floor will be generated by the system, so by the time the vibration gets back to the cartridge it’ll be well behind the beat, severely affecting the pitch and timing of subsequent notes.

I’d say the support should be massless, inert and protect the turntable from its surrounding environment. Barry Diament has kitted his recording studios out with rubber inner tubes under his equipment in order to reduce the effects of microphony. I think he uses a board on top of the inner tube (I need to check on his website).
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-23 00:28 I’m not surprised it likes to be decoupled from the floor tbh. Turntables are pretty efficient vibration detectors and any vibration entering the turntable from the floor can’t be a good thing. Most of the vibration in the floor will be generated by the system, so by the time the vibration gets back to the cartridge it’ll be well behind the beat, severely affecting the pitch and timing of subsequent notes.

I’d say the support should be massless, inert and protect the turntable from its surrounding environment. Barry Diament has kitted his recording studios out with rubber inner tubes under his equipment in order to reduce the effects of microphony. I think he uses a board on top of the inner tube (I need to check on his website).
Thanks Spannko!

Makes sense.

Looks like if I try anything then something between the Lack table top and the LP12 might help. Shorter legs probably won't impact it much.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-22 18:11 I thought this was an improvement recording a new track but listening back I'm not so sure now :(

Normal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuqkno6ffwpk7 ... 1.mp4?dl=0
Felt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2vhijry3amdb ... 0.mp4?dl=0
Normal for me, without felt.
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

System is sounding really good despite your LP12 not bouncing as well as it could.

I'm flipping between the two. At first I preferred 2 (on top) which seemed easier to follow. But sometimes I would listen again and clip 1 seemed more together and grounded. So I don't really know. I'd probably need another song to help me decide, but if pushed, I'd opt for on top.

What are the speakers by the way?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

speakers are Dynaudio Contour 60 - I also have difficulties to decide which is more musical
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

My first thoughts after listening to those two tracks was That's a really Live room, and how I would try throwing down a rug in front of the speakers to quell at least some of all those hard surface reflections happening. ...Besides that I like the sound your making and I think I preferred track No.2. Seemed to be a little more in control overall, but hard to tell.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Defender wrote: 2021-06-23 22:03 I also have difficulties to decide which is more musical
What about shuffling them along so they are more evening spaced on the top shelf?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I enjoy it more on top, clip 2. Both sound good but got into it more on the second clip. Nice choice of music!
The LP12 Whisperer
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Clip 2 for me ...
Nice, very nice.
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Clip 2 for me too..........
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for all your feedback which is consistant with what I hear - with respect to the recommendations: they are really much appreciated because sometimes we do some things and there is a possible chance for a cheap upgrade in musicality which we just dont aware of.

actually I hoped for more improvement after I lifted the Radikal up from the floor - lifted the Entity up from the floor and the Sagatun Monos are not stacked on each other anymore.

@Charlie: I tried to distribute the Entity and the Radikal more evenly on the board but either the Radikal had on leg up or the Entity had one leg up and I dont think it makes them more musical being in a peeing dog posture (which also means my board is not straight).

@tpetsch: there is actually a rug in front of the speakers but you cant see it as I my back problems keept me away from taking the slade slabs out of the room yet ... and I didnt want Tom to see it ;)
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Your components may need a few days to settle, before they sound their best...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Defender wrote: 2021-06-24 10:42 @Charlie: I tried to distribute the Entity and the Radikal more evenly on the board but either the Radikal had on leg up or the Entity had one leg up and I dont think it makes them more musical being in a peeing dog posture (which also means my board is not straight).
I find one or more pieces of paper under one leg works well.
kampak

Post by kampak »

this is actually an easy one I think… clip 2 for sure
well done, and maybr there is still more to come, as Tendaberry mentioned!?
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Back to Black Ash vs Oak. Now the Oak deck is fitted with a Goldring refurbished Troika.

MC phono cards were cold and the deck could probably have done with settling overnight but I was too impatient to wait and made some clips anyway. Besides I need to run the cart in yet so will take a couple of weeks.

Oak Deck (Black liner, Lingo 1, Ekos 2, Troika): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyl5wp518xbp1 ... 2.mp4?dl=0
Black Deck (Black liner, Lingo 1, Ekos 2, Adikt): https://www.dropbox.com/s/i533e3d2qfejy ... 0.mp4?dl=0

First impression is that it doesn't seem as tuneful as the black deck but is a better match for the overly warm Saras, so not sure if it's a keeper or not. It's definitely my type of sound though - very coherent to the way my brain works, like the Adikt / K9.

Bonus: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1g18gj0uvk5o ... 1.mp4?dl=0
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Not much in it,at the moment leaning towards the MM...It's been decades since I've listened to that track but it seems to be slower than I remember.
I know that tune
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I think the Troika needs a few weeks of running-in, but it sounds promising already. I like the Adikt too, though.
Last edited by Tendaberry on 2021-06-30 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote: 2021-06-29 16:18 Not much in it,at the moment leaning towards the MM...It's been decades since I've listened to that track but it seems to be slower than I remember.
I find phone clips do that in general but perhaps you're picking up on something else.

Their live versions from the late 70s are much quicker - mental new wave sound.

Here's a good one that's also on Spotify... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT-XMZEbq_I
Tendaberry wrote: 2021-06-29 16:25 I think the Trioka needs a few weeks of running-in, but it sounds promising already. I like the Adikt too, though.
Thanks Tendaberry. Yes, looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-06-29 16:25 I think the Trioka needs a few weeks of running-in, but it sounds promising already. I like the Adikt too, though.
+1 ... give time to Troika, if I my suggest, don't make fast decision ...
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-29 15:52 Back to Black Ash vs Oak. Now the Oak deck is fitted with a Goldring refurbished Troika...
Cool comparison; thanks for posting. Feels like a head v heart kind of choice; precision v passion; original lineup v quality cover band (giving it their all). Tough call - the Troika could do with loosening the reins a bit; the Adikt has been at the stash...