Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by Lego »

beck wrote: 2022-01-04 16:38 So, as I try to get my cd replay as close as possible to my vinyl replay, it is always interesting to compare. How close can I get?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqu5vlz8c40os ... 9.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52a8zuh2luod3 ... 3.mov?dl=0

Beware the vinyl version is recorded a bit louder than the cd version….
Although the the players on the LP12 sound as if they have maybe slightly more time on the ball,I'm guessing you're close to that place where the cd player is playing and you don't miss the LP12 and vice versa.That's the way it should be .Proper Hifi replay has no place for partisanism.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Just by coincidence there's bit of a bass player theme going on.

Obviously Paul Simon, with the Chic combo,Bernard Edwards & Nile Rogers .

Sage is........Lingo Kairn Linto .

Parsley is.. Lingo Linto Kairn.

Rosemary and Thyme is........Kairn Lingo Linto

Next set was Joe Cocker with Sly & Robbie .Bass player Robbie Shakespeare sadly died a couple of weeks ago.

All 3 bass players here are now deceased.

I can't imagine a Sly without a Robbie .

DAS ........................Kairn LP12 Linto

MUSIKALISCHE....LP12 Linto Kairn

OPFHER...................LP12 Kairn Linto.

So there you go,I'd say close to 100% consistency as far as members choices went,which is reassuring.

Just goes to show ,most members here know what to listen for in order know what they like.

Many thanks .

Not sure when but my next set of clips will hopefully be;

Lingo 1 Cirkus Ekos1 Akiva(worn) vs Lingo 1 Karousel Ekos 1 AT-VM95C(new).

Many thanks .A good start to the year
Last edited by Lego on 2022-01-05 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Which was Rosemary & Thyme?

I assume that LP12=Lingo (as you alternate between the two in your writing).
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-05 01:02 Which was Rosemary & Thyme?

I assume that LP12=Lingo (as you alternate between the two in your writing).
Sorry I ammended it Fredrik Rosemary and Thyme is Kairn LP12/Lingo1 Linto

Lingo is LP12
I know that tune
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Lego wrote: 2021-12-31 22:45 Ok here's .

1)LINGO1 KAIRN LINTO

2)LINGO1 LINTO KAIRN

3)KAIRN LINGO1 LINTO .....Maybe in that order.

PARSLEY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U4WU3t ... p=drivesdk

SAGE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U391uI ... p=drivesdk

ROSEMARY & THYME

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U2wB0S ... p=drivesdk
For me:
1 SAGE
2 PARSLEY
3 ROSEMARY & THYME
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-01-05 08:07
Lego wrote: 2021-12-31 22:45 Ok here's .

1)LINGO1 KAIRN LINTO

2)LINGO1 LINTO KAIRN

3)KAIRN LINGO1 LINTO .....Maybe in that order.

PARSLEY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U4WU3t ... p=drivesdk

SAGE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U391uI ... p=drivesdk

ROSEMARY & THYME

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U2wB0S ... p=drivesdk
For me:
1 SAGE
2 PARSLEY
3 ROSEMARY & THYME
Ah - I should have read further up the thread ....
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

So Lingo, Kairn, Linto was the order most preferred.

Huh!

The only conclusion I can draw is that I need to continue testing various orders in the power strip and take precise notes of all findings. With Kikkin, Sagatun and Sagatun Mono I had consistent results for long enough to think that I was done with it. But perhaps I wasn't.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-05 12:06 So Lingo, Kairn, Linto was the order most preferred.

Huh!

The only conclusion I can draw is that I need to continue testing various orders in the power strip and take precise notes of all findings. With Kikkin, Sagatun and Sagatun Mono I had consistent results for long enough to think that I was done with it. But perhaps I wasn't.
When I tried to evaluate "audiophile" power cables and strips, I lost my way big time. One reason was that a quick A/B involved constant powering on and off.

Fredrik, how do you cope with this when you test? I know that Tundra takes time to become stable at the trim port, and that Radikal also needs a bit of time, but I have no idea how other units are affected.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

mmh seems like a version of the the Radikal first vs. Sagatun first debate is back … maybe it really depends on the pre-amp and LP12 motor control in use.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Defender wrote: 2022-01-05 13:18 mmh seems like a version of the the Radikal first vs. Sagatun first debate is back … maybe it really depends on the pre-amp and LP12 motor control in use.
If it depends on the specific pre-amp and LP12 spec, that makes it difficult to benefit from others' experiences. I followed the Radikal or Sagatun first debate, and chose Sagatun first. But would Sag-Källa also be preferable to Källa-Sag? I have (so far) only assumed so...

I'm currently running Sag-Sag-Rad-Entity-Källa. I think that's 24 possible combinations, assuming Sags stay adjacent. But I know now that Rad-Entity is better than Entity-Rad, so only six combinations need testing - as long as I accept that power amps come last.

And now that I have Källa, what do I connect to the Sagatun single source input - and is this the ultimate first-world problem?!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

David Neel wrote: 2022-01-05 13:06 Fredrik, how do you cope with this when you test? I know that Tundra takes time to become stable at the trim port, and that Radikal also needs a bit of time, but I have no idea how other units are affected.
I just try to make the conditions as equal as possible. If you disconnect and reconnect the power after 30 seconds, it doesn't take long for the conditions to return to what they were before the disconnect.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

why I would connect Källa to the single source input:
in my system Källa needed considerable louder volume settings than Entity
If Entity is on single source input you hear it start to hum at around orange volume settings (which is the same volume for Källa like green on Entity)
If you have Källa on the single source input you can switch that off if - Entity is on the single source input you cant. But my system might be different.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-05 12:06 So Lingo, Kairn, Linto was the order most preferred.

Huh!

Hold on Fredrik it's a Kairn !!!
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Defender wrote: 2022-01-05 14:38 why I would connect Källa to the single source input:
If Entity is on single source input you hear it start to hum at around orange volume settings (which is the same volume for Källa like green on Entity)
If you have Källa on the single source input you can switch that off if - Entity is on the single source input you cant. But my system might be different.
Thank you, good thinking! I'm no longer getting noticeable noise from Entity after some power changes to non-hifi items in the room, but I like your logic, and coincidentally that's the way it's currently connected. I was quite surprised at the improvement moving from input 1 to single source input, even without using the isolating switches.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

David Neel wrote: 2022-01-05 14:12
Defender wrote: 2022-01-05 13:18 mmh seems like a version of the the Radikal first vs. Sagatun first debate is back … maybe it really depends on the pre-amp and LP12 motor control in use.
If it depends on the specific pre-amp and LP12 spec, that makes it difficult to benefit from others' experiences. I followed the Radikal or Sagatun first debate, and chose Sagatun first. But would Sag-Källa also be preferable to Källa-Sag? I have (so far) only assumed so...

I'm currently running Sag-Sag-Rad-Entity-Källa. I think that's 24 possible combinations, assuming Sags stay adjacent. But I know now that Rad-Entity is better than Entity-Rad, so only six combinations need testing - as long as I accept that power amps come last.

And now that I have Källa, what do I connect to the Sagatun single source input - and is this the ultimate first-world problem?!
A minefield David .Im guessing you'd be swapping Radikal sockets with Källa if was as simple as front-end goes here.It might also be unplug Källa while LP12 working and vice versa .Hours of endless fun .Maybe getting this sorted will get rid of the tinkering once and for all .
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-05 14:30
David Neel wrote: 2022-01-05 13:06 Fredrik, how do you cope with this when you test? I know that Tundra takes time to become stable at the trim port, and that Radikal also needs a bit of time, but I have no idea how other units are affected.
I just try to make the conditions as equal as possible. If you disconnect and reconnect the power after 30 seconds, it doesn't take long for the conditions to return to what they were before the disconnect.
Thank you.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Lego wrote: 2022-01-05 15:24 A minefield David .Im guessing you'd be swapping Radikal sockets with Källa if was as simple as front-end goes here.It might also be unplug Källa while LP12 working and vice versa .Hours of endless fun .Maybe getting this sorted will get rid of the tinkering once and for all .
I've had the assumption that continuously powered is better than swapping - but I do turn the Radikal off at times because the light annoys me. But get rid of the tinkering? Experience says I'll just find something else to play with...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2022-01-05 14:38 why I would connect Källa to the single source input:
Thanks Defender!

I would also recommend to put Källa on the Single Source (direct, never disconnected) input on Sagatun and Sagatun Mono.

The reason is as you say: Källa has a rather low volume and is super quiet. It doesn't add any noise even if you turn the volume up high.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote: 2022-01-05 15:04

Huh!

Yes, I know. But the winning order is not one that I have ever found in practice. Back when I listened to Kairn, Lingo and Linto, I found the order Lingo-Linto-Kairn to be the best. Later I got the tip of preamp first, but I never tested that on a Kairn or a Linto.

I kind of wish there would be an order that was always best. I'd rather not spend time on testing all combinations every time. I will focus on my own products and hope there's still a consistent pattern with them.

A question Lego: Were you using the same outlets in the strip (for instance number 1, 2 and 3) on all combinations? I'm asking because they often sound a little different, so if one combination was using 1, 2 and 3 and another was using 2, 3 and 4 (the unit on outlet 1 being moved to outlet 4), then the conclusions from the test are completely different.

There's also that question of how recently the unit was powered up before the recording. It needs to be the same. As we know from various other clips, some products sound best shortly after being powered up and loose their edge when being powered for too long (example: old Naits). Other products behave the opposite way, sounding better after a lot of warm up and taking a dive when being restarted (example: Radikal).
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-05 16:36

Huh!

Yes, I know. But the winning order is not one that I have ever found in practice. Back when I listened to Kairn, Lingo and Linto, I found the order Lingo-Linto-Kairn to be the best. Later I got the tip of preamp first, but I never tested that on a Kairn or a Linto.

I kind of wish there would be an order that was always best. I'd rather not spend time on testing all combinations every time. I will focus on my own products and hope there's still a consistent pattern with them.

A question Lego: Were you using the same outlets in the strip (for instance number 1, 2 and 3) on all combinations? I'm asking because they often sound a little different, so if one combination was using 1, 2 and 3 and another was using 2, 3 and 4 (the unit on outlet 1 being moved to outlet 4), then the conclusions from the test are completely different.

There's also that question of how recently the unit was powered up before the recording. It needs to be the same. As we know from various other clips, some products sound best shortly after being powered up and loose their edge when being powered for too long (example: old Naits). Other products behave the opposite way, sounding better after a lot of warm up and taking a dive when being restarted (example: Radikal).
Ok I take it the reverse polarity thing is irrelevant with powered active speakers .

Same first 3 sockets used....1 2 and 3 .

System had been on for a few days continually .I've been listening to records from morning to midnight over the last 10 days.

I found Lingo Linto Kairn initially the best but maybe got slight listener fatigue by the end of the night.With Kairn Lingo Linto some albums blew me away while others seemed dull and boring ..only noticed this with the JBLs.
I know that tune
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

My Lingo 1 has always sounded better powered up 24/7. I recall a A/B comparison some years ago when an Audiophile Systems rep visited our store. It was one of those dems that you really had to pay attention to because once it was done it couldn’t be repeated the same day. He played a short bit of a record two or three times so that we were able to get familiar with it. He then powered down the Lingo and powered it back up, then played the same cut again.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote: 2022-01-05 17:48 Ok I take it the reverse polarity thing is irrelevant with powered active speakers
As Kairn inverts the absolute phase of the music signal, you should invert hot and cold in the XLR end of the interconnect that connects to your JBL 308's.

If you have been listening with inverted absolute phase, I kind of doubt that this could alter the results of your mains power order experiment. It would be odd if it did.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

beck wrote: 2022-01-04 16:38 So, as I try to get my cd replay as close as possible to my vinyl replay, it is always interesting to compare. How close can I get?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqu5vlz8c40os ... 9.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52a8zuh2luod3 ... 3.mov?dl=0

Beware the vinyl version is recorded a bit louder than the cd version….
Thank you for the comments! :-)

Think I just now got even closer to the vinyl version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/srfhkhn3x9c76 ... 1.mov?dl=0
Playing cd’s…………
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-05 16:36

Huh!

I had a dedicated 20 amp circuit run to a quad outlet for my Lingo, phono stage, line stage and power amp. It was suggested to me by the manufacturer’s rep that I should cut the plugs off the three amps and connect all three cords to one 20 amp plug.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

John wrote: 2022-01-05 19:42 I had a dedicated 20 amp circuit run to a quad outlet for my Lingo, phono stage, line stage and power amp. It was suggested to me by the manufacturer’s rep that I should cut the plugs off the three amps and connect all three cords to one 20 amp plug.
Indeed that seems to make some sense in theory. I have tried it in several ways, but so far failed to make it perform any better than a good simple strip and regular power cords.

Another "solution" is to have a power strip that is wired with all outlets in parallel rather than in series. But I haven't ever heard that sounding any better.