Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by beck »

Can changed polarity (main power cord) be heard and more importantly can the clip recording the most natural sound from my system be identified through these clips?

links removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-09-02 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

B for me
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, B for me too, although I initially thought A listening to the first few seconds only. But then played a couple more sections with the whole band and it flipped the other way. Interestingly, went back to the beginning and can hear it differently now. I think that one instrument at the start is a good example where I can sometimes get caught out when using tune dem. Cheers Beck.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I think your thoughts Charlie1 show very well what is difficult when comparing clips.

What I find interesting is when listening to the beginning clip A seperates the noise and the saxophone from each other making it kind of annoying to listen to. Clip B folds it all into "one" sound.

Clip B represent my normal setup.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

That was the difference for me: A separated things so they were easier to follow individually, but lost the music in the process... I can see how that might be perceived to favour A at the beginning. B just felt more 'together', natural and musical.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree that B is the more tuneful/musical. I find the beginning of A a bit annoying. However, I also find it easier to hear what the organ is doing on B when the other instruments come in whereas in A it seems to be lost in the sauce. And, yes, AC polarity definitely makes a musical difference.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote:I agree that B is the more tuneful/musical. I find the beginning of A a bit annoying. However, I also find it easier to hear what the organ is doing on B when the other instruments come in whereas in A it seems to be lost in the sauce. And, yes, AC polarity definitely makes a musical difference.
Yes. In B, some of the instruments are more 'there' as part of the whole, rather than out of time & tune and MIA as a result (Missing In A(ction) ;)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I find B much more musical - A is quite challenging to listen to. Big difference.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I need your help again. Same exercise changing AC polarity but now using my linn silver interconnects. Which clip is most tuneful?

links removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-07-24 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

B seems more fun/enjoyable. I'm a bit tired now though so that's my excuse lined up if I got it wrong :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

One more set of clips of the same for those who are in doubt:

Links removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-07-24 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I had hoped to solve the problems I have with my silvers and their performance in my system. I even told Charlie1 that I had succeded by changing the AC polarity! I can now say I failed and must accept that they are slightly weird.
Back to my blacks. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This is as close as I could get:

Links removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-09-01 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I like them both. I prefer Silvers now though, although maybe the blacks do 'something' better but I can't describe it.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:I like them both. I prefer Silvers now though, although maybe the blacks do 'something' better but I can't describe it.
Yes, listening to the clips it is a close call. What I can say is that if you listen carefully from 0.14 and on you should be able to detect a struggle between the instruments regarding the timing of the music when listening to my silvers.
When listening in my room this creates an uneasy feeling. With my blacks I can relax fully and enjoy the music.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, i hear it too. This time I prefer the blacks - on my Windows laptop instead of iPhone. I didn't know which clip was which either, in the Chrome tabs. I admire your perseverance. Maybe sell them and try another pair of Silvers.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:........... Maybe sell them and try another pair of Silvers.
Yes, that I could do. For now I will just relax and be happy that a year! after I started this tread I have finally reached my goal. I have just put the cherry on the top of the cake by resetting the bias on my Ekos once again. It is kind of weird to just sit back and be happy with the setup of my system. :-)

There are other things to consider. How do I get my lk100 recapped? I have been playing music with only one tweeter for a while now (including on my clips above) and have got my hands on a cheap Trikan speaker that will serve as spare parts for my Espeks.
Playing cd’s…………
teatime

Post by teatime »

Intersting. I also prefer the first recording. There is something fishy about those silvers! Perhaps get them re-soldered?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

teatime wrote:Intersting. I also prefer the first recording. There is something fishy about those silvers! Perhaps get them re-soldered?
I have had others on this forum taking a look at them and they seem factory soldered so I do not think that is the way to go.
I feel so lucky now that I can enjoy all my records without thinking something is wrong. This digitally recorded track with danish artist Mickael Simpson is a new favorite of mine:

link removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-09-02 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Prefer the blacks - big difference, even in the first few seconds. Timing and tune so much better.

It would be interesting to see what those silvers do to another well tuned system, before you make changes to them.

Anyone close to Becks who could try them out ?

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Those Silvers are broken. It's not the first time I've heard and heard_of Silvers that are no longer musical. The mechanism is unknown, but some (it's a rare occurrence) just go bad for no particular reason.

Don't spend any more time on broken cables, life's too short.

What you can do is check whether both (left and right) sound equally bad. If they do, sell them - stating clearly that you think they sound bad. Then get a new pair or stick to the blacks.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:Those Silvers are broken. It's not the first time I've heard and heard_of Silvers that are no longer musical. The mechanism is unknown, but some (it's a rare occurrence) just go bad for no particular reason.

Don't spend any more time on broken cables, life's too short.

What you can do is check whether both (left and right) sound equally bad. If they do, sell them - stating clearly that you think they sound bad. Then get a new pair or stick to the blacks.
That is what I am going to do. Thank you for listening.
Playing cd’s…………
einj

Post by einj »

Hey guys!

Have to say I really appreciate these videos since they give a glimpse of what Lejonklou gear sound like! Too bad there aren't too many videos of lejonklou in the web. I often find myself listening to youtube videos of other peoples great systems, even though I have a perfectly capable one myself. :)

Also, if someone would be kind enough to record a 242s with lejonklou amplifiers, I would be grateful! I have a pair myself and haven't seen a video of them yet I think.. Thanks and keep the videos coming!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

einj wrote:Hey guys!

Have to say I really appreciate these videos since they give a glimpse of what Lejonklou gear sound like! Too bad there aren't too many videos of lejonklou in the web. I often find myself listening to youtube videos of other peoples great systems, even though I have a perfectly capable one myself. :)

Also, if someone would be kind enough to record a 242s with lejonklou amplifiers, I would be grateful! I have a pair myself and haven't seen a video of them yet I think.. Thanks and keep the videos coming!
Just buy a Tundra Stereo - you will not regret it!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I have had the integrated Boazu , Tundra stereo , and Tundra Monos driving my 242s and they all sound great.

The Lejonklou amps sound really good with most of Linns speakers - but with 242s just fantastic.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s