Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: TV in the room Vs No TV in the room

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2020-02-12 14:09 I thought I’d try removing the TV and recording the the before and after. To keep the “If you haven’t listened blind, the test is invalid” brigade happy, I’ll reveal which is which when a few people have had a chance to listen.
Thanks for the chance to listen without knowing which is which...
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Spannko wrote: 2020-02-12 14:09 I thought I’d try removing the TV and recording the the before and after. To keep the “If you haven’t listened blind, the test is invalid” brigade happy, I’ll reveal which is which when a few people have had a chance to listen.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bw5oi4f48h ... fiyqa?dl=0
For me better is: 11.56.04
Background:
Have the same effect as removing drivers from the room = more clear tune, easier to follow the tune and better body of the instruments
Music First ...
Vlado
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by Tendaberry »

anthony wrote: 2020-02-12 14:16You could always try the intermediate version Davaar 4.70......
I quite like it at klimax level.
Good idea, thanks for the tip!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

That's a nice improvement. Guitar notes seem to decay better and you get more of a feel for the atmostphere and mood.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

+1. But I do not like the hole in the wall!

On a different note! ;-). Do we know for sure that this “machine” does not break down when reaching page number 100!?

:-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

TV in the room Vs No TV in the room: The big reveal!

Post by Spannko »

Beck’s the winner cos he was the only person who noticed that a hole had replaced the television in the second video. I quite like these videos where we remove something and see if anyone notices.

I’ve removed the speakers in the TV, which turned out to be surprisingly easy: just 16 screws on the back, and the whole thing just separated.

The speakers turned out to be two mini reflex loaded plastic cabinets, with what looked like Bose type folded “wave guides” or whatever they call them (like in the Wave Radio). I’ve circled the ports on the photo. They just unplugged and lifted out. I’ll keep them so they can be replaced in the future if needed.

It only took about 10 minutes and was well worth doing. Thanks to RtM and TO’K for prompting me to do what I’ve been meaning to do for a while.

EDIT: Oops, I posted the wrong link to the photos. Here’s a working link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mrowfwz2a63 ... RF2ja?dl=0
Last edited by Spannko on 2020-02-12 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Longwell vs. Lejonklou Volex Cable

Post by Ron The Mon »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-08 18:19 I had hoped to get more comments on the last clip...

...on the subject of inexpensive upgrades, I might as well spill the beans. The only difference between the last two clips is the power cable going to the KRadikal.
Clip 1 is... the older Linn US AC cable made by Longwell.
Clip 2 is the latest Lejonklou US AC cable made by Volex.

I think I will be able to offer them for the same $40US that the latest (and also pretty good) Linn AC cables go for. I'd say that qualifies as a pretty inexpensive upgrade!
Tom,
When I listened on my phone a few days ago, I thought Clip 2 was noticeably better. After listening today over my hi-fi, the difference is HUGE in fundamental, tune-dem-only comparisons.

Put me down for one. If I try it and like it, I'll need at least two more. It will be my first Lejonklou purchase and I won't feel like such a freeloader here. It really is a good value too; I can get two cables for around the same price as one LP12 belt.

Lastly, is this Lejonklou Volex cable the same as the captive cable on the Entity and Slipsik?

Ron The Mon
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Hi Ron,
I have to warn you cause you know one Lejonklou buy usually leads to another. So consider that before you end up having to sell your boat to be able to buy an Entity ... even if the initial investment looks like a bargain.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Without the TV is certainly better. Now what do you do with the TV?

I felt the improvement with the Lejonklou AC cable was significant, I wasn't sure how it would be perceived as it is certainly still quite good with the Linn Longwell. I have since put Lejonklou AC cables on the SINGularity units and it is further improved, as you would expect. The good news is that Fredrik did get a large batch of both US and EU power cables and I am getting about half of the US ones. They are also quite reasonable and will sell for $40US. I already have over a dozen sold and will be appropriating several for my own system. In partial answer to another question, I don't believe it is the same cable on the Slipsiks as I think they are bought in with bare wire on the phono stage side. They are very similar being also Volex cables with the same AC connector. Possibly Fredrik can elaborate. Also on a question earlier from tokenbrit, these are not the same cables that were supplied with Lejonklou products before very recently. While the previous cables have been from Volex, this is the first time we have seen them with "VOLEX" also printed on the cable, rather than Ta Hsing, Baoing, etc. This is the easiest way to identify the new ones (although the cables I am getting will have the Lejonklou logo engraved into the AC plugs). These have only been available for a few months so anything I shipped last year or before will not have them. Previous ones were good, but these are better as it seems everybody heard in the clips.

Ron doesn't have to worry about an Entity with his beloved AT-VM95c. A Slipsik 7.1, on the other hand, would do him much good!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-12 22:42 Ron doesn't have to worry about an Entity with his beloved AT-VM95c. A Slipsik 7.1, on the other hand, would do him much good!
I forgot to add a smiley in the other post ...
I think in this case he can take the risk. 😀
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I have to say I have never heard such a big difference with a power cable like in your clips Thomas (and the Longwell cables are at a high level already)
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

This and That

Post by Ron The Mon »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-12 22:42 Without the TV is certainly better. Now what do you do with the TV?
Modern TVs are very easy to dismantle. Lay the TV (screen side down) on a bed with a soft sheet to protect the screen. Take photos along the way for easy reassembly. Remove all screws. Some are different lengths, so I lay them in the same pattern for reassembly. Lift off back cover. Unclip speakers. Unscrew and remove. Put speaker screws back in. Save speakers in a zip-lock baggy in case you ever need them again. Print photos if you think it will help with reassembly and put in the bag.

[I wrote this before seeing Spannko's post above]
Ron doesn't have to worry about an Entity with his beloved AT-VM95c. A Slipsik 7.1, on the other hand, would do him much good!
Tom,
When we last compared, you liked my Naim MM phono stage better than Gaio but thought Slipsik best. It was close, but I preferred the Naim overall. In full disclosure to all, we were using a well-regarded $4000 power supply for the Naim.

Since Slipsik has been improved by two generations and a half since then, I'll have to listen again. Call me when the cables arrive and you can loan me a Slipsik and Boazu.

Ron The Mon
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I posted the wrong link to the photos of the TV with the back removed. Here’s the correct link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mrowfwz2a63 ... RF2ja?dl=0

As RtM says, it’s VERY easy to remove the speakers.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Now that “what is going on in the hifi world” has been sorted I needed to find a new hobby. It is rather peaceful and can be enjoyed while listening to music.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh6120p8d8omf ... 3.jpg?dl=0

Posting it here to get to page 100! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2020-02-13 10:17 Now that “what is going on in the hifi world” has been sorted I needed to find a new hobby. It is rather peaceful and can be enjoyed while listening to music.
Fill your boots but I'm glad to see the back of them. I've been there with an iron and cloth trying to melt the bloody things, but not too much, and then they fall apart when you pick them up, swiftly followed by tears and complaints that I've not done it right.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-02-13 11:17
beck wrote: Now that “what is going on in the hifi world” has been sorted I needed to find a new hobby. It is rather peaceful and can be enjoyed while listening to music.
Fill your boots but I'm glad to see the back of them. I've been there with an iron and cloth trying to melt the bloody things, but not too much, and then they fall apart when you pick them up, swiftly followed by tears and complaints that I've not done it right.
I am rather handy with an iron but I know the feeling! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

beck wrote: 2020-02-13 10:17 Now that “what is going on in the hifi world” has been sorted I needed to find a new hobby. It is rather peaceful and can be enjoyed while listening to music.
you can set it up in a Nivea box (need to be empty) or the lid of the nivea box - than bake it in the oven while visually checking the progress - take it out (use proper tools as it will be hot) and cool it down in cold water
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Whilst everyone is removing unused speakers, I've counted 5 pairs in the office plus a pair of K104 boxed up. I've just got nowhere else to put them except the loft but I don't want them up there. I probably need to sell the Katans really.

Still, I think the 32.5/Hi/250 is sounding better in here after a few days warm up. I enjoy it, although the 32.5/160 is still better...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmkvs4frfjnvl ... D.MOV?dl=0

It's also the antithesis of all those immaculate rooms you see on the Naim forum with perfectly aligned Naim Fraims and no mess anywhere.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2020-04-19 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Not bad. I am nodding my head while listening.... :-)

Aaahhhh.....Still no page 100! Maybe it just ends in a long, long, looooonnnggg....page 99! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-02-13 12:02 Whilst everyone is removing unused speakers, I've counted 5 pairs in the office plus a pair of K104 boxed up. I've just got nowhere else to put them except the loft but I don't want them up there. I probably need to sell the Katans really.

Still, I think the 32.5/Hi/250 is sounding better in here after a few days warm up. I enjoy it, although the 32.5/160 is still better...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmkvs4frfjnvl ... D.MOV?dl=0

It's also the antithesis of all those immaculate rooms you see on the Naim forum with perfectly aligned Naim Fraims and no mess anywhere.
Nice sound, everything else is not important, until you are happy!
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

You need a picture of a really tall speaker to take up some space, like this one for $27k. I bet it sounds great too ;)

I was gonna say 'what could go wrong with a design like that', but with over 20 drive units, I guess the answer is 'quite a lot.'

EDIT: V.A.MKD is the winner!!!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Yes, nice try Charlie1 but you were beaten on the finish line by our Balkan friend!

Now I can relax again! :-)
Last edited by beck on 2020-02-13 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2020-02-13 12:38 Yes, nice try Charlie1 but you were beaten on the finish line by our Balkan friend! :-)
We are always here to make things complicated ... :-);-)

Congratulations 300.000+ views, on 100+ pages ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Defender wrote: 2020-02-13 11:57
you can set it up in a Nivea box (need to be empty) or the lid of the nivea box - than bake it in the oven while visually checking the progress - take it out (use proper tools as it will be hot) and cool it down in cold water
Yes, finally something where I can contribute!

It is critical to have a flat and solid foundation; a think chopping board is ideal.

Keep the iron level - rounding the edges is easily done.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Longwell vs. Lejonklou Volex Cable

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-08 18:19 I had hoped to get more comments on the last clip...

...on the subject of inexpensive upgrades, I might as well spill the beans. The only difference between the last two clips is the power cable going to the KRadikal.
Clip 1 is... the older Linn US AC cable made by Longwell.
Clip 2 is the latest Lejonklou US AC cable made by Volex.

I think I will be able to offer them for the same $40US that the latest (and also pretty good) Linn AC cables go for. I'd say that qualifies as a pretty inexpensive upgrade!
I had a brief listen on the laptop and meant to go back for a more proper comparison, then it got busy on the thread with lots of listening exercises, and I forgot... Sorry. I just made a point of listening again, going through more of an AABA, and while there is something on an A->B, it's really in the B->A that you realise the improvement that you've lost, if that makes sense?

Do you have any thoughts on whether this is because the single cable change is on the KRadikal, so high up the system hierarchy, or would you expect similar improvement going from 2 Longwells on the Sagatun Monos, to 2 of the latest Lejonklou cables on the preamps? Trying to figure priority and number of cables needed across the black boxes... if you have any left unspoken for ;)