Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-09-28 22:39 M was a clear preference with both laptops for clip 2 but I struggled with the other two clips, esp Madonna...
Curious whether that was possibly, partly down to a lack of familiarity (?) with 2, whereas you know the Madonna clip, esp, so you pick up on the "drive" of N? (meant to help understanding; not judge or play psychoanalyst ;)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I prefer M.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-09-28 23:44 Curious whether that was possibly, partly down to a lack of familiarity (?) with 2, whereas you know the Madonna clip, esp, so you pick up on the "drive" of N? (meant to help understanding; not judge or play psychoanalyst ;)
I assumed the style of song made it easier but you could be right, or bit of both perhaps.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Playing M first makes N sound not very good. Playing N first sounds pretty good but then playing M it's easily better - more life to the music. I only listened to track 1 and I didn't get a chance to listen to the previous set of clips. I'm on vacation this week and just dropped into the store for a meeting with our Linn rep who is in the US for the first time in about 3 years.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Offerdal

Post by Offerdal »

There was a bit of rebuild before these last clips. With Mr Lejonklou thoughts I put the trampolinfeet back on Urika. Then rebuilt one of my Harmonihyllan. All spruce. Now K-referens bottom shelf, 2 Oden and Tor vs Mimer K top shelf.
Actually it took a while before I could film the clips beqause I just put plate after plate on the Lp12, I thought it was that Good, and the M was alot better in the room.

M= Tor top shelf
N= Mimer K
Last edited by Offerdal on 2022-09-30 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I'm voting for O.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

+1
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

O
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

O for me too.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

O for me too
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

O
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Offerdal wrote: 2022-09-30 07:37 M= Tor top shelf
N= Mimer K
Did you try Trud?
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

alsO
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

O2

Sounding really good btw.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Here’s something a little bit different. Two tweeters filtered through a mini dsp, which does a fantastic job of removing at least 80% of the musicality of anything fed through it! However, the differences are relative, so the result should still be valid. The videos are time stamped to differentiate them.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0R5qXGF1GIAyVD
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2022-09-30 17:39 Here’s something a little bit different. Two tweeters filtered through a mini dsp, which does a fantastic job of removing at least 80% of the musicality of anything fed through it! However, the differences are relative, so the result should still be valid. The videos are time stamped to differentiate them.

Clips seem quite quiet, and 'noises off' (from the kitchen?) didn't help... :)

Not sure about "timestamped" - link took me to 2 vids: 1 of 2 appeared a fraction louder but less interesting; 2 of 2 quieter but conveyed a bit more accomplished playing.

DSP: Dishes and SaucePans? What's for dinner? ;)
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Too much cowbell!, actually sandpaper block, now I can't stop hearing that guy in the song among other issues..

Just between the Moby O1 & P1 I prefer the P1, more Hi-Fi Vs, more overall musical, P1 Jams forward as one cohesive piece better, more emotion, more in tune..

Reminds me of similar conundrums when doing back to back comparisons of Linn Black Vs. Linn Silver, on some pieces of music one is better than the other, but usually the Black won out for me just on the basis of overall musicality, cohesiveness & tune. But I agree, it took me several listens, at first I thought I preferred the O1, so much more info I thought, but it's all there in P1 too, just better managed.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Re: O or P

I’m going against the tide with this one. I get the impression that O has a cleaner sound with a tight bottom end which really helps with the bass line on the first track, and P has a loose bottom end which does it no favours at all. So O took a 1:0 lead. On the second track, the bass was less influential. Focussing just on the guitar, it felt like it was easier to hear on O (because of O’s cleaner/clearer sound), but on P, the guitar (which was less audible) felt slightly more in tune. As is usual, one we hear something like this we can’t unhear it! So the more I went backwards and forwards, the more the “fluffy musicality” of P became apparent and the more slightly disjointed and slightly a-musical O became. Again, for me, it boiled down to a clip with a slight HiFi bias (O) compared to one with a slight musical bias (P).

PS. I’ve just read tpetsch’s response. It appears that we went through the same process. I’m not saying we’re right though. I just found it interesting because I thought I was the only person preferring P!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-09-30 18:00
Spannko wrote: 2022-09-30 17:39 Here’s something a little bit different. Two tweeters filtered through a mini dsp, which does a fantastic job of removing at least 80% of the musicality of anything fed through it! However, the differences are relative, so the result should still be valid. The videos are time stamped to differentiate them.

Not sure about "timestamped" - link took me to 2 vids: 1 of 2 appeared a fraction louder but less interesting; 2 of 2 quieter but conveyed a bit more accomplished playing.

Yes, unfortunately just a bit too quiet. For some reason, the dsp X/O puts out a very low signal. All the gains were turned up to 11 and the Boazu was literally flat out straight into the tweeters! Thank goodness I didn’t get a spike on the mains, it could have been a very expensive experiment! Having said that, I’ve never had any mains noises/pops coming through the Boazu, and what you’re hearing is the Boazu at 11.5 and it’s dead silent. Remarkable!!!

There are two time stamps. 16:36 and 16:38

Nothing special for dinner tbh. My daughter has covid and I feel like I’ve been run over by a train, so just something quick and easy.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2022-09-30 20:21 the Boazu was literally flat out straight into the tweeters!
Does flat out mean level 78 (which is -2dB) or did you remove the child protection lock and turn it up to 100 (+20 dB)?

I will need to redo this feature on Boazu in the future. First of all, level 80 (orange), which is level in =level out, has become the always-perfectly-safe-level when using Källa as a source. Then I’m wondering whether the default should perhaps be unlimited (to 100) and the child protection feature need to be selected by conscious choice.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-09-30 21:03
Spannko wrote: 2022-09-30 20:21 the Boazu was literally flat out straight into the tweeters!
Does flat out mean level 78 (which is -2dB) or did you remove the child protection lock and turn it up to 100 (+20 dB)?

I will need to redo this feature on Boazu in the future. First of all, level 80 (orange), which is level in =level out, has become the always-perfectly-safe-level when using Källa as a source. Then I’m wondering whether the default should perhaps be unlimited (to 100) and the child protection feature need to be selected by conscious choice.
Ah, it must be level 78 then. Personally, I like the idea of a limit on the input, but then Källa is my only source, so they’re well matched.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2022-09-30 20:21
tokenbrit wrote: 2022-09-30 18:00

Yes, unfortunately just a bit too quiet. For some reason, the dsp X/O puts out a very low signal. All the gains were turned up to 11 and the Boazu was literally flat out straight into the tweeters! Thank goodness I didn’t get a spike on the mains, it could have been a very expensive experiment! Having said that, I’ve never had any mains noises/pops coming through the Boazu, and what you’re hearing is the Boazu at 11.5 and it’s dead silent. Remarkable!!!

There are two time stamps. 16:36 and 16:38

Nothing special for dinner tbh. My daughter has covid and I feel like I’ve been run over by a train, so just something quick and easy.
2 of 2 for me was 16:36 - thought you meant timestamps within the video; iCloud didn't make them obvious on my 'not an iPhone' :p

Hope you & your daughter feel better soon.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, hope you get well soon.

Can't make a decision on your clips - sorry
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This one was particularly unsuited to clips, I think. Background noise, varying levels and apparently different frequency-amplitude curves.

I have compared drive units this way and found it quite revealing, in the room at least. But then I haven’t used any DSP (just makes it more difficult) and have volume matched them. It’s also beneficial to establish how low they can go in frequency and still play a better tune - this works exactly like when tuning subwoofers. It gets better and better and better the lower you go (on subwoofers it’s higher instead of lower), and then decidedly worse, which is where you’ve reached the limit in frequency where the drive unit isn’t contributing to the message, but rather distorting it.

Worthwhile exercises that are in stark contrast to how engineers usually go about it.

My initial feeling was that I would have picked the first tweeter, but I don’t feel that I can do this on clips. There are simply too many variables, which you can easily get a grip on when in the room and playing around for an hour.

Get well soon!