Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by Spannko »

Top clip for me. The bottom clip feels too out of tune, regardless of what else it does well.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-04-15 13:24 Top clip for me. The bottom clip feels too out of tune, regardless of what else it does well.
Interesting you pick up on that. There is an 'out of tuneness' about this system in this room (even with the wallshelf), especially at low volume at night and with digitally recorded material. I'll see what happens with the Saras but I was starting to think about ditching the 32.5/160 in there. It's surprising how things can shift with Briks/Kan 1s so perhaps Saras will do a similar trick.

Whilst I love the coherence of vintage Naim amps, I've sometimes found that only the NAC12 and the preamp section in the Nait are tuneful enough in some systems (i.e. the one's Julian did on his own that weren't 'improved' by others). And yet I've managed quite happily with the 32.5 in the Brik system and the 42.5 with Kan 1s. I wonder if it's that transition point between foot tapping and tune dem. Keep them separate and they are happy. Mix and match and they start to expose one another's short comings.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-04-15 16:04, edited 2 times in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Regarding charlie1’s latest clips I think I would go lack and maybe modify slightly by using some gaffa tape underneath the lack bottom making a “star” shape of three pieces of tape......
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-15 13:29
Spannko wrote: 2021-04-15 13:24 Top clip for me. The bottom clip feels too out of tune, regardless of what else it does well.
Interesting you pick up on that. There is an 'out of tuneness' about this system in this room (even with the wallshelf), especially at low volume at night and with digitally recorded material. I'll see what happens with the Saras but I was starting to think about ditching the 32.5/160 in there. It's surprising how things can shift with Briks/Kan 1s so perhaps Saras will do a similar trick.
I hadn’t seen your clips charlie1, I was commenting on markitright’s clip. I’ll listen to yours now.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

LOL!

I had genuinely been thinking that about the setup though :)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve had a quick listen on my phone while supervising the grand children down the local park. So ....

Top clip for me. The bottom clip feels too out of tune, regardless of what else it does well.

😆. Through my phone speakers, the first clip sounds fab! Full of energy, tuneful and really enjoyable. The second clip sounds seems to be really lac(ing) in energy, drive, realism etc. It sounds boring in comparison, although complex parts seem to hang together a bit better than the wall shelf.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-15 12:36

Wallshelf (Sound Org with Archidee shelf):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ab6x0dkjyr0i ... 9.mp4?dl=0

All Lack:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgnr71yj1zppa ... 0.mp4?dl=0
Played on my phone, second sounds easier to sing along with and I'm more inclined to keep listening.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-15 13:29
Interesting you pick up on that. There is an 'out of tuneness' about this system in this room (even with the wallshelf), especially at low volume at night and with digitally recorded material.
You should listen to it on my phone. Sounds lovely and tuneful!
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-04-15 16:23 You should listen to it on my phone. Sounds lovely and tuneful!
Thanks - and maybe that's the answer :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2021-04-15 15:56 I hadn’t seen your clips charlie1, I was commenting on markitright’s clip. I’ll listen to yours now.
To avoid misunderstandings when commenting on clips, please quote the original post you're referring to!

This is especially important when several sets of clips are discussed at the same time.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko gotta spank :D
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-15 17:22 Spannko gotta spank :D
Ouch!
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Spannko wrote: 2021-04-15 16:18 I’ve had a quick listen on my phone while supervising the grand children down the local park. So ....

😆. Through my phone speakers, the first clip sounds fab! Full of energy, tuneful and really enjoyable. The second clip sounds seems to be really lac(ing) in energy, drive, realism etc. It sounds boring in comparison, although complex parts seem to hang together a bit better than the wall shelf.
This was my take also, while both had issues -suggested inherent room issues- the top -for me- was the better performance and more overall "In-Tune". The bottom one while more Shopping Mall Hi-Fi'ish sounded disjointed with sudden attack notes that seemed unnaturally louder, out of place & out of time.

Concerning these clips:

Messing about with the digital setup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkzw3d7uwdt0h ... 0.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fokg9m13j4smp ... B.MOV?dl=0
Last edited by tpetsch on 2021-04-16 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

second clip for me please (the first clip sounded as if something hurries one or the other player - the timing was off for me)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-15 12:36
Wallshelf (Sound Org with Archidee shelf):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ab6x0dkjyr0i ... 9.mp4?dl=0

All Lack:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgnr71yj1zppa ... 0.mp4?dl=0
this one is difficult but I tend to like the second clip more.
By the way it looks like you need a chair for changing records with this wallmount ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Defender wrote: 2021-04-15 18:07
second clip for me please (the first clip sounded as if something hurries one or the other player - the timing was off for me)
I also preferred the second clip. As I was listening to the first clip I was disliking it enough that I was really hoping it wasn't the better one.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm for the Lack clip. In comparison I find the wall shelf Lacks musicality. I found the wall shelf setup a little annoying.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for all the feedback.

Decided I prefer the Lacks (just) so moved the Tukans away from the rear wall a bit and the amps are also warmed up now...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/machsywf5d90f ... 1.mp4?dl=0

Not such a wall of sound (maybe due to less wall reinforcement) but more tuneful I think.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Once again it goes to show that setup is the main thing to concentrate on when you use a good hifi system......
Playing cd’s…………
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-15 20:31
Defender wrote: 2021-04-15 18:07
I also preferred the second clip. As I was listening to the first clip I was disliking it enough that I was really hoping it wasn't the better one.
Fascinating results once again. Thanks everyone for your feedback. My take: the opening guitar riff sounds more "human" on the second clip, but once the rest of the band joins in it's easier to follow on the first, so I picked the first. However, it seems I need to give the second another listen. Easy enough to do.

We're listening to the network switch sitting directly on the Lack with no feet (second clip) vs. with feet (first clip). The feet are ~12mm dia hemispherical self adhesive pads that come in sheets. For convenience I had cut off 2 strips of 3 pads and slid them under the switch with the backing paper still in place. It's possible that too many pads not properly adhered makes things worse, or it might be the GS108t simply plays better when in direct contact with the surface. More experimenting is needed.

There are also some flat, disc shaped feet to try as well. It occurs to me that when comparing the flat to round feet the above method would probably work as we would be hearing the relative differences between the two. But in the clips I posted we're comparing a relative to an absolute, and that is likely skewing the results. I'll try again.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Good idea and was worth trying. What about beck's masking tape suggestion? We don't have any at the moment so can't try it. Mind you, that probably won't have any effect unless you've remove the Lack's insides.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

ULTIMATE DIGITAL VS ANALOGUE COMPARISON!!!

Post by Charlie1 »

Same clips skipping between digital and analogue...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qj6ew9u2ibrb ... 2.mp4?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you Charlie1.

I really needed that laugh. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

:)
We all need a laugh at times.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: ULTIMATE DIGITAL VS ANALOGUE COMPARISON!!!

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-08 20:19 Same clips skipping between digital and analogue...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qj6ew9u2ibrb ... 2.mp4?dl=0
I think we were all aware of your preference for older Linn bearings & Naim electronics, but didn't realise it had gone this far :D Thanks for bringing us up to speed... Eventually ;)