Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by tpetsch »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-10-13 17:11 So here is the clip with the GS308T with the power supply that came with it plugged in what we felt to be the most musical way. Comparing this with Clip B will show the difference between the two directions of the power supply. You can also make other comparisons if you haven't lost interest by now. Comparing it with Clip C will show the differences between the GS308T PS and the GS108Tv2 PS both used on the GS308T switch. Finally comparing this clip with Clip A will show you the difference you can expect between the GS108Tv2 and the GS308T when using the PS units that come with their respective switches. Have fun.

D https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij3tz6z309ctk ... M.mov?dl=0
A https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouk4k9ih861o1 ... M.mov?dl=0

I still prefer the bands interplay & togetherness of "A" over this new "D" clip, as my brain just sorts out "A" easier. Although I do hear that "D" "Sounds" better in Hi-Fi terms, it's just that the band doesn't play together as well on "D". ...Guess it's just me this time.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I like version D a little better than C. The music seems a little more alive, listening is even more fun.

Perhaps it is because the power supply, as plugged in for this recording, causes less interference in the switch. It can do what it is supposed to do better.
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Excellent, thank you Thomas! I’ll get a 308T and see if we get the same results with European 220-240V.

Edit: I’ve just remembered that it’s a universal SMPS, so the results should be the same.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-10-13 17:11 So here is the clip with the GS308T with the power supply that came with it plugged in what we felt to be the most musical way. Comparing this with Clip B will show the difference between the two directions of the power supply. You can also make other comparisons if you haven't lost interest by now. Comparing it with Clip C will show the differences between the GS308T PS and the GS108Tv2 PS both used on the GS308T switch. Finally comparing this clip with Clip A will show you the difference you can expect between the GS108Tv2 and the GS308T when using the PS units that come with their respective switches. Have fun.

D https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij3tz6z309ctk ... M.mov?dl=0
So I need to put down the Scotch* and listen to:
D: 308T + psu from 308T
C: 308T + psu from 108T (your fave?)
B: 308T + 'usp' from 308T

* drink, not tape...
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

D for me. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

B got a nice energy and drive to it while D appear to have more feeling.
I can't pick a winner when listening to the clips but both are really good.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer D to B (the one I picked first time)
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

I prefer D.
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

My speaker build is back on track after waiting 4 months for the bass units to arrive! There’s still shed-loads of work to do and the following clip is severely compromised (cabinet not sealed, bass unit not screwed in, tweeter resonance not damped by a passive crossover, tweeter screwed to a piece of wood, resting on the bass enclosure at 90 degrees, cabinet full of bricks to reduce the internal volume, only one channel playing, using a budget dsp active x/o, etc, etc!), but this should give you an idea of the direction I’m heading in. Enjoy!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0RG4TcsmiaGBz
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Spannko wrote: 2022-10-15 16:21 My speaker build is back on track after waiting 4 months for the bass units to arrive! There’s still shed-loads of work to do and the following clip is severely compromised (cabinet not sealed, bass unit not screwed in, tweeter resonance not damped by a passive crossover, tweeter screwed to a piece of wood, resting on the bass enclosure at 90 degrees, cabinet full of bricks to reduce the internal volume, only one channel playing, using a budget dsp active x/o, etc, etc!), but this should give you an idea of the direction I’m heading in. Enjoy!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0RG4TcsmiaGBz
I like what I am hearing. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting. Certainly sounds a bit unfinished but still better than some speakers I have heard. I look forward to hearing them when they are more complete.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, me too. That's a break through moment. Sounds very promising.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks chap’s 👍 Choosing the drive units feels like the easy bit. I’ve got a feeling that getting an enclosure and crossover to work harmoniously with them could be quite a challenge!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Nice Spannko!

Very promising indeed!

What song is that you’re playing?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks Fredrik!

The song is called “A Madman From Manhattan” by Jack White.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3H0OE56 ... JtX7049Xaw
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

MM phono stage comparison. The two Lejonklou phono stages are well warmed up but as both they are brand new will not be run in for several weeks, or perhaps months, thought I'd do this now.

I thought about doing it blind but people can always organise that by themselves with an assistant if they want to.

Track #1 A lesser known R.E.M. single - thought this would be good for tune dem as it gets straight into the song.
1.) Wakonda MM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrkgsn3f30n5o ... 5.mp4?dl=0
2.) Gaio 2.4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l04gahnk1mnzu ... 2.mp4?dl=0
3.) Slipsik 8.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/84dp50javix5c ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Track #2 Whilst it has a slow build up, I picked this cos it always seemed a bit out of tune and unpleasant when they start singing the chorus at approx. 1min 20sec.
4.) Wakonda MM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b46pslnfhemje ... 1.mp4?dl=0
5.) Gaio 2.4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh653pbta1ico ... 9.mp4?dl=0
6.) Slipsik 8.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqdt1w50slgyq ... 9.mp4?dl=0

Deck is Lingo/Ekos 2/VM95ML. There's not really enough bass for normal volumes, but the pace is about right. The Lingo/Ekos/Adikt deck has the necessary bass but the Adikt sounds a bit sluggish at times (similar to Koil/Krystal). My theory is that modern Linn carts are not voiced for a pre-Cirkus bearing especially in terms of pace. Whereas, the VM95 and rebuilt Troika are much zippier.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-20 10:50 MM phono stage comparison. The two Lejonklou phono stages are well warmed up but as both they are brand new will not be run in for several weeks, or perhaps months, thought I'd do this now.
Interesting! Are they all played with the Wakonda as preamp? Which one do you prefer IRL?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I really like the Slipsik. I think it adds some needed tunefulness without losing very much of the foot tapping Linn vibe. I think the system as a whole is a good compromise although that won't stop me trying a boazu next. I can understand some folks preferring the Wakonda but for me the Slipsik works a lot better.

On the nait / Keilidh office system, either phono stage is a good improvement. Not only more tuneful but I hadn't realised how weedy sounding the nait phono stage is.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Ok, I needed to reevaluate, deleted my first attempt, I just much prefer an A/B over an A/B/C.

IMO, cough, Considering the REM clips only, the Wakonda holds it's own in this compario, the Giao sounds very similar and in tune except what happened to all that backround info in the opening of the track?, what is that, a synth & backround voices going "Aaaahhh"?, not really making that out as well on the Giao. The Slipsik probably needs to bake in more, it's nicely reveling but it's just presently not holding it all together as well as the Wakonda and the Giao tune wise, need to revisit this again after the Slipsik has had some time. But all & all sounding very nice Charlie!
Last edited by tpetsch on 2022-10-20 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks tpetsch. Agree A B is always the preference although you could organise that by yourself... A vs B, A vs C, etc 😀

I know what you mean and can hear what you're hearing but I also seem to have an ear in the Lejonklou camp and appreciate another side or benefit. And yeah, some run in would be good. Let's face it, the Wakonda has a 20 year advantage there. Worth a revisit in the new year I think.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

I'm glad you're happy with your system Charlie, it is coming along nicely. You know, at the end of the day the rest of us are all just evaluating these clips, and while informative and somewhat accurate their still a fry cry from actually being in the room/environment picking up on all those important subtle nuances that you are. I'm simply voicing my "opinion" reflecting upon things that I'm personally sensitive to by whats coming across on my $400 laptops onboard speakers being fed via WiFi..
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-10-12 08:33
I found this hard - but I think B held my attention more, so B for me.
Speaking of vintage Quads as shown in this post last week, here's fun a little article just published:
https://robbreport.com/gear/audio/audio ... 234752012/
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-10-20 20:19 I'm glad you're happy with your system Charlie, it is coming along nicely. You know, at the end of the day the rest of us are all just evaluating these clips, and while informative and somewhat accurate their still a fry cry from actually being in the room/environment picking up on all those important subtle nuances that you are. I'm simply voicing my "opinion" reflecting upon things that I'm personally sensitive to by whats coming across on my $400 laptops onboard speakers being fed via WiFi..
Thanks tpetsch. I totally understand and thanks for the post.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

For me, Gaio is a nice step up from the Wakonda, making it sound a bit slurred (pitch wise) and disjointed. I also think that the Slipsik could do with a few more hours use.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I have a clear preference for the Slipsik. "Driver 8" is my favourite track from Fables of The Reconstruction. Which pressing do you have? I can (as usual) recommend the original US pressing, I have the Gloversville.