Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by Spannko »

Or get a circular bubble like the one Naim supplied with the Aro. This gives a 360 degree view, without having to touch the level. Come to think of it, haven’t I seen circular bubbles mounted into a puck which sits on the turntables spindle?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, you can although I found them quite difficult to work with. Also, they have to be high quality cos they span such a small distance from end-to-end that the base needs to be perfectly level. Not sure the plastic ones are much use.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Maybe one of these will do the trick!

https://www.leveldevelopments.com/prod ... -0-01mm-m/
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-07 15:11 Yeah, you can although I found them quite difficult to work with. Also, they have to be high quality cos they span such a small distance from end-to-end that the base needs to be perfectly level. Not sure the plastic ones are much use.
If you use an inexpensive plastic one then back it up with a high quality German made Stabila -one time to double check as a standard like I did many years ago- and the measurement still Zero's out perfectly then it's good to go forever forward. Remember, your leveling a finished & flat piece of wood -plinth- or a perfectly flat machined turntable platter, then you have the LP12 platter outer raised lip to contend with to BTW, you really don't need a very long level, long levels are needed to span the average bubble across a section of unfinished wavy lumber stud or other.

I also own one of these which is impressively accurate for the money, Made in Austria:
https://www.amazon.com/Keson-LKTSF-Plas ... r=8-1&th=1
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

The "A" band sounds like they have been rehearsing a little bit longer.. "The B" band is a bit more all over the place, finding the tune harder to follow..
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-10-12 01:28 The "A" band sounds like they have been rehearsing a little bit longer.. "The B" band is a bit more all over the place, finding the tune harder to follow..
I kind of agree but find the “swinging” feel of B more to my liking. So B for me.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I enjoyed A a little more...

That'll teach me to use my old phone 🤦‍♂️ Changed phones & preference, but leaving my answer unchanged for original integrity - curious if others get different results on different devices? 🤷‍♂️
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2022-10-12 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I found this hard - but I think B held my attention more, so B for me.
Pete

Linn LP12 (Lingo1, Kore, Karousel, Akito1, Tramp2), Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

B
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

A sounded instantly just right and after that B just seemed more speactacular. But going back and forth a few times between them, I'm liking B more and more.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

B for me too.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Listening again I find B more open and relaxed while A sounds a little “squeezed” to me.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

B4Me2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

OK, while those two have some validity, they were not the two I originally intended, although I agree with the majority finding. So I am going to put up the clips I originally intended to which is the same clip A but a different second one which I'll call C to reduce confusion. Feel free to compare B to C if you wish as well. Yet one more new clip will be posted before this is over.

A: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouk4k9ih861o1 ... M.mov?dl=0

C: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i30p3swz2v1f ... M.mov?dl=0
The LP12 Whisperer
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

"C" further enhances the best quality's & "Tune"fullness of "A", so "C" for me by a nose his time. Although "C" is a bit overall leaning to the bright side though now, so kinda a tossup perhaps, that higher frequency balance may start to grain on me over time..

I just listened to "A" & "B" again, still finding "B" to be more "Hi-Fi", less in tune, a bit of a mess.

Also, it's interesting to read some of the responses like "more spectacular" and "swinging", "Squeezed" as these are all "Hi-Fi" terms IMO, responding to the "sound" and not the "tune", also another said "A" sounded right instantly" -as the more in tune track should, I would think?- if your listening at home your only going to play the track once, and "A" grabbed you, so that says something, but yes, it's not the whole story & I've changed my mind too at times. ...but less mentions of the tune. For me if the tune simply isn't there then it's just sounds & noises, not music.
Last edited by tpetsch on 2022-10-12 18:32, edited 2 times in total.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

B is Best, followed by C and lastly A at the bottom.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Version C touches me the most, the rhythm and the expressive voice of the singer draw me into the flow of the music.
Then follows B and after that A.
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I prefer B the most, then C and A the least.
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m sticking with B, but tbh I wouldn’t put money on it!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I'm going with C this time.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

B for me ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-10-12 17:36 OK, while those two have some validity, they were not the two I originally intended, although I agree with the majority finding. So I am going to put up the clips I originally intended to which is the same clip A but a different second one which I'll call C to reduce confusion. Feel free to compare B to C if you wish as well. Yet one more new clip will be posted before this is over.

A: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouk4k9ih861o1 ... M.mov?dl=0

C: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i30p3swz2v1f ... M.mov?dl=0
Here C for me.

Sounds to me like continues the development from A, B to C as best one from the three ...

Maybe I'm wrong ... long time not practicing Tune Method.
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was going to post another clip before the reveal but I thought people had waited long enough. In all cases this was the Källa playing off Spotify with a piece by Mino Cinelu from the album by the same name. It is an album I like quite a bit and has never been released on vinyl. So for a long time CD was it. I have to say that I find the album off Spotify to be musically superior to what I remember of the CD played on the same system with a CD12, even on the least of these clips. But the clips do show musical differences. These all used my normal setup with AmpliFi HD connected to port 8 on the switch and Källa connected to port 7 both with 2.5 meter BJC CAT6a cables oriented properly. So here is what we were listening to.

A Netgear GS108Tv2 switch
B Netgear GS308T switch (the replacement for the GS108T which is also less expensive)
C Netgear GS308T switch

So what is the difference between B and C? The power supply used. In order to keep the comparison as accurate as possible I used the same power supply on the first two clips I made - A and C. It was the power supply that came with the GS108Tv2, which I had found in the past was a little better than the similar PS that came with a GS108 that I use elsewhere. I also had the units stacked on a wooden shelf with the one connected on the bottom and I power cycled each unit before making each clip. Also the GS308T had been plugged in for months so it should be well burned in. So you are just hearing the difference between the two switches. On clip B, which was recorded after clip C (as you can see in the time stamp but which I didn't check closely enough before posting the first pair of clips) I used the power supply that came with the GS308T. In addition it is plugged in in the same direction as the GS108T PS but that turns out to be the wrong way. I did make another clip with it oriented in the best sounding direction with the wire going to the left when plugged into a 3 prong outlet with the ground down. The GS108T is most musical with the PS wire going to the right.

In room Simon and I found clip C, the GS308T, immediately more tuneful, more enjoyable and more musical than Clip A, the GS108Tv2. Again these were using the GS108Tv2 power supply. Then I tried the GS308T power supply plugged in the same way for Clip C and we both felt it was definitely not as good. We didn't directly compare this with the GS108Tv2 as we didn't feel the need. Then I made another clip with the power supply in the right direction but we still didn't like it as well as the GS308T with the GS108v2 power switch. I will post that one so you can see what you think.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

So here is the clip with the GS308T with the power supply that came with it plugged in what we felt to be the most musical way. Comparing this with Clip B will show the difference between the two directions of the power supply. You can also make other comparisons if you haven't lost interest by now. Comparing it with Clip C will show the differences between the GS308T PS and the GS108Tv2 PS both used on the GS308T switch. Finally comparing this clip with Clip A will show you the difference you can expect between the GS108Tv2 and the GS308T when using the PS units that come with their respective switches. Have fun.

D https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij3tz6z309ctk ... M.mov?dl=0
The LP12 Whisperer