Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by Lego »

B sounded less impressive ,so my immediate thought was it must be more musical,understood B more .Better intelligibility.
I know that tune
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

There’s a couple versions of Wicked Game on Spotify. One is off the album Heart Shaped World and the other one is off Best of Chris Isaak. The Best of version is significantly louder so maybe a different master.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-11-04 14:01 It's not possible KALLA to be better on vocal (the most sensitive instrument, expressing emotions) and not so good on drums, bass or ...
Or maybe it is? My memories of Källa, compared to LP12, are similar to this. The leading instrument on Källa, whether voice or sax (or...) was rendered with a truly compelling cleanliness, subtlety and emotion. The LP12 had more force, and probably more detail, behind the other instruments, so that the musical presentation was radikally different. I was surprised that although in some aspects I was hearing "more" with the LP12, I was hearing "better" with Källa and Spotify.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-06 13:08
V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-11-04 14:01 It's not possible KALLA to be better on vocal (the most sensitive instrument, expressing emotions) and not so good on drums, bass or ...
Or maybe it is? My memories of Källa, compared to LP12, are similar to this. The leading instrument on Källa, whether voice or sax (or...) was rendered with a truly compelling cleanliness, subtlety and emotion. The LP12 had more force, and probably more detail, behind the other instruments, so that the musical presentation was radikally different. I was surprised that although in some aspects I was hearing "more" with the LP12, I was hearing "better" with Källa and Spotify.
Wife & I can relate to that description: in Tom's clips, it felt like there was more to the rhythm with the LP12, but less to the voice. In the Källa clip, it felt like there was more to the voice, with the rhythm taking a supporting role rather than driving the presentation... How much of this is LP vs version on Spotify, and how much is LP12 vs Källa remains to be heard :)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I came late to the game and was happy enough that I didnt read your choices before I tested the recordings by myself. I know this song very well and was not 100% convinced that „is it“ when I heard A … even without hearing B.
B sounded better to me with respect to the flow but the final driver was the voice of Chris.
When I read B is Källa I shouted yes, yes, yes!
Well I am looking forward to a demo of Källa when Marco makes it possible.
But in the end I think I would like to have a combination of A and B … the fullness of A with the emotion of B.
What I mean is B sounded a tiny bit brighter/thinner to me but that can be the mastering of one or the other.

Would be great to hear a comparison of an example where we know LP and Digital is closer together from the mastering process. Maybe Chris Isaak Best Of Album
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

btw we are comparing a 50.000USD frontend to a 8000USD frontend (not sure what the Källa is in the US)
… that is impressive.
and its more likely our LP12 is not as tuned and toqued to the max as Thomas‘s is

edit: prices updated 75.000USD frontend (LP12/Singularity) to Källa frontend 8500USD thats deflationary
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Duplicate post, couldn't delete...
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2021-11-06 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-11-03 19:22 Let's try these:

A) https://www.dropbox.com/s/dijjxvgs3927t ... M.mov?dl=0

B) https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2zl5d6hgh78u ... M.mov?dl=0

This is not an exacting comparison and has a technical flaw or two. It is posted here more to see how interesting people find it and to generate some discussion. Have fun.
Thanks for posting Thomas, I really appreciate being able to listen to the Kalla versus your current LP12. And that's a great song to use for these music links as well. Needless to say, both music links sound really good, and I could certainly enjoy listening to both sources with a great deal of pleasure! Overall, the Kalla is hitting well above it's weight class. And the differences between these two sources aren't what I could call great either, especially considering it's not an identical comparison. In addition, I would have to listen to both of these sources in person at the same time, to have a better idea of how they compare sonically. After listening a few times to each link, "A" seems to have a more full and lively sound with a little more involvement. However, the Kalla would certainly be a great choice for individuals that don't want to pay all that money for a full spec LP12, but at the same time don't want to compromise on sound quality either! I'm now more curious than ever to hear what the new Radikal power supply and Ekstatik cartridge brings to the table!

Thanks again Thomas!
Tony Tune-age
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 16:30 .. curious .. to hear what the new Radikal power supply and Ekstatik cartridge brings to the table!
Certainly of interest to those that have the funds and a substantial investment in LPs & in their LP12 but, for price context, "the new [Klimax] Radikal power supply and Ekstatik cartridge" will *each* take the same if not more money off the table as a Källa.

Imo, it's great to have a digital source component that can compete at Klimax LP12 level, for such a comparatively affordable price. Vive la différence :)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 16:51 The Kalla would certainly be a great choice for individuals that don't want to pay all that money for a full spec LP12, but at the same time don't want to compromise on sound quality either!
I did mention the cost difference between the Kalla and full spec LP12, certainly notable!
Tony Tune-age
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 17:07
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 16:51 The Kalla would certainly be a great choice for individuals that don't want to pay all that money for a full spec LP12...
.. the cost difference between the Kalla and full spec LP12, certainly notable!

It's the extent of the "cost difference" & the "all that" which appears to be 'all the more' [$ and notable] now for an LP12 to stay ahead of a Källa...
There are going to be those who must have the best LP12 they can. On the evidence of these clips, and responses, there are those who consider Källa to be a "great choice" without any qualification. That's why I said vive la différence ;)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-06 17:50
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 17:07
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 16:51 The Kalla would certainly be a great choice for individuals that don't want to pay all that money for a full spec LP12...
.. the cost difference between the Kalla and full spec LP12, certainly notable!

It's the extent of the "cost difference" & the "all that" which appears to be 'all the more' [$ and notable] now for an LP12 to stay ahead of a Källa...
There are going to be those who must have the best LP12 they can. On the evidence of these clips, and responses, there are those who consider Källa to be a "great choice" without any qualification. That's why I said vive la différence ;)
It's hard for me to have a 100% qualification either way, since the links aren't an identical comparison. And in order to know either way, I will have to listen to each source in person. But even with the costs of a cell phone, internet cost, and music service cost, the full spec LP12 is still way more expensive. So for the money and the sound, the Kalla is certainly a great choice no matter what!
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-06 17:01
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-06 16:30 .. curious .. to hear what the new Radikal power supply and Ekstatik cartridge brings to the table!
Certainly of interest to those that have the funds and a substantial investment in LPs & in their LP12 but, for price context, "the new [Klimax] Radikal power supply and Ekstatik cartridge" will *each* take the same if not more money off the table as a Källa.

Imo, it's great to have a digital source component that can compete at Klimax LP12 level, for such a comparatively affordable price. Vive la différence :)
Not that it makes the comparison of value any less valid but in the interest of accuracy the Ekatatik is "only" $7150, a bit short of "the same if not more money". But still a considerable amount, and it will wear out over time. The Klimax Radikal 2 is $8450 so close enough to the Källa $8495 to be considered the same. Absolutely no question the Källa is an amazing value as I feel the clips indicate. On the other hand, I haven't figured how to get it to track my 2500+ records!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-06 13:08
Hi David,
You are right, what I want (you for sure already hear it) to make Tune Method on both sources LP12 and KALLA, as we do it here, on the same record / performance / recording / version or name it, that is why I mention "The difference is probably in different recording as Tom mentioned ..."
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-04 17:16 Yes, I believe ECM vinyl and CD/downloads come from the same masters. In the time of my ADS/3, vinyl was distinctly preferable to me. Among my recent ECM vinyl: Bayou by Thomas Stronen et al, Entendre by Nik Bartsch, Live by Marcin Wasilewski Trio, Garden of Expression by Joe Lovano. All would make interesting comparisons. Older albums, perhaps Blue Maqams by Anouar Brahem, and In Praise of Dreams by Jan Garbarek.
Yes, +1, I would like to add ECM WATT. There is Carla Bley as option ...
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'd only looked at UK prices - £6,500 & £5,500 vs £5,600* - and figured US pricing would be close enough :/
ThomasOK wrote: .. in the interest of accuracy the Ekatatik is "only" $7150, a bit short of "the same if not more money". But still a considerable amount, and it will wear out over time. The Klimax Radikal 2 is $8450 so close enough to the Källa $8495 to be considered the same.

There are some things...
ThomasOK wrote: .. I haven't figured how to get [Källa] to track my 2500+ records!

For everything else... ;)
ThomasOK wrote: Absolutely no question the Källa is an amazing value
Indeed :)

* Klimax Radikal 2; Ekstatik; Källa respectively
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-06 17:01

absolutely
never thought I would say that but now with hearing the examples of Källa my investments towards the LP12 stopped. My thought process is: my LP12 is at a lower level than Thomas’ with respect to component’s as well as with respect to fine tuning. My phono stage is an Entity vs. the Singularity‘s.
The value for money investing into upgrading the LP12 has seriously decreased with the appearance of Källa.
So it seems more value to me to have a digital source than trying to squeeze out the last bit for a lot of money on the LP12.

Källa could be Game Over

… and there is still the chance that Källa will become even better with possible upgrades
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

I just bought a new soldering iron and was thinking how cool it would be for a Kalla in kit form? ...Saying this half jokingly, but it would be cool.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2021-11-06 20:30 … and there is still the chance that Källa will become even better with possible upgrades
Exaktly :-)
…….and with possible upgrades of Spotify as well.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

In case anyone is interested I posted some clips of the JBL 308P vs. Zu Omen Dirty Weekend with Linn Klout, and HAKAI vs. LP12 using the JBLs over in my Me and My System thread here:
https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 835#p60835
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

“That way” evokes my feelings!
Playing cd’s…………
Scooter62

Post by Scooter62 »

This way: “Umm - Mo'e - An - (y)EE - Why.”

That way: “m - o - n - e - y”

IOW, I preferred this way to that way. Those little JBL speakers are VERY happy in that set-up either way.

And what a righteous Strat quack on that recording!
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Considering getting a new HIFI device.
But would like your opinions on what you believe to be more musical:
Recorded with laptop mic so horrible sq.

1. Virginhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/60c68242v9arj ... .flac?dl=0
2. Virginhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/qoqpt795orggk ... .flac?dl=0

1. ILOMITOhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/scf5civqbcwft ... .flac?dl=0
2. ILOMITOhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/cybiyfa83vei6 ... .flac?dl=0

Source material for the L versions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7panjod0457gh ... .flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjz6fyl6nyfhj ... .flac?dl=0

Let me know if I should save my money or splash it.. :)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi fredrik thank you for the clips we are used to base the decisions on clips which are recorded with an apple phone - so you dont need to worry about recording quality. Thats also the reason we „know“ what to expect. As you are using a different tool that might confuse some of us/the outcome.

for me it was easier to follow the music in your #2 clips. But I am often enough wrong with the playground clips
so better wait for more input