Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by tokenbrit »

Bombay sapphire in preference to pistachios... Cheers.

Hopefully you haven't shot Henri in the foot with your choice of this clip over a more 'bouncy' one.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Netgear Vs DIY Power Supply

Post by ThomasOK »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-18 00:32
Spannko wrote: 2021-02-18 00:12 It’s been a while since I lost my way, but I think I might be getting back on track.

Enjoy!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B125nhQSTHUOJ2y
Wow! They are completely different! I don't know what you did but I much prefer the bounce and energy of track B.
Apparently my humor was either too subtle, or too over the top for other forum members. :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ha, ha, ha. You did it again Thomas! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Netgear Vs DIY Power Supply

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-18 19:51
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-18 00:32
Spannko wrote: 2021-02-18 00:12 It’s been a while since I lost my way, but I think I might be getting back on track.

Enjoy!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B125nhQSTHUOJ2y
Wow! They are completely different! I don't know what you did but I much prefer the bounce and energy of track B.
Apparently my humor was either too subtle, or too over the top for other forum members. :-)
Huh? But track B was more bouncy!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Lost my time lost my place in
Sky blue
Actually I found Sky Blue to be more on time. So blue for me. Apparently A is green with envy.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Blue for me too. However, I still enjoyed green which seemed to offer a different slant on the song, more chilled and dreamy.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Another vote for blue
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks to everyone who voted👍

As tokenbrit suggested, I took a bit of a gamble with Nancy’s Bang Bang; it could have gone either way, particularly with the impressive type recording. Fortunately, you guy’s aren’t easily fooled, you stuck to the task of focusing on musicality and are 6-0 in agreement that blue is more musical. Fortunately for Henri, you chose him over the Netgear.

Of course, I’m in full agreement with all your comments, even charlie1’s about the Netgear still doing something which sounds quite interesting. On the whole, I don’t particularly like the Netgear. Despite what it does well (musically), its pitching could be better and the sound is pretty uninteresting (a bit two dimensional, with missing detail). However, on some tracks, it flows quite nicely.

My goal was to build something which was more tuneful and have a better sound than the Netgear. In this respect, one could say I’ve succeeded, but as charlie1 has noted, better doesn’t always mean good enough! The next iteration is already on the drawing board, including ideas for the one after that, so hopefully I’ll be able to put something together which retains what it does well, and improves on its ability to just let the music flow a little bit more.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Well done Spannko! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm sorry I didn't make it before you revealed which was which.

My vote goes to green. I find blue to be overblown and not quite in balance.

I'm however impressed by your progress and fairly certain you will soon beat the Netgear in every department.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, well done - I know it's taken a while and a lot of work
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks for your encouragement guy’s 👍

Fredrik, I accept your comment about Henri being slightly out of balance. I think that’s something the Netgear does quite well too, so it’s more noticeable when comparing them side by side. Maybe this is related to charlie1’s comments, and perhaps Henri, although sounding quite musical, is also sounding a bit more “impressive” than natural?
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Greeting,

After reading some discussion in this forum about Itunes being a more musical ripping software, I decided to give it a listening comparison for myself. In the past, prior to expose to tune method, I had been a a big fan of using EAC with 'secured' ripping option. Out of my surprise, I have just confirmed myself that the itunes ripped files (ALAC) are more musical, in tunes, especially the contrast of the melody is very 'visible' that make it easier for me to follow.

Now here comes the dilemma, I feel that when I rip with with "Correction" in tunes, the music has more dynamic and contrast compared to "without correction". However, I also feel the version without correction has more flow and longer harmonics/sustain so to speak.

I am using old AMD FX 5thousand series(I don't remember exacty) with gigabyte motherboard, with Segate ES Constelation and 8 GB of RAM for my ripping station.
The CD Drive is YAMAHA CRW2100E.
In addtion to that, I just recently bought the Samsung SH-224 DB after read thomasOK posts and tried it myself and I like it very much. with that being said, I just throw the result of the ripped files on both Yamaha and Samsung.

So I have ripped two songs from using 2 drive (Yamaha & Samsung), being ripped on both With and Without Correction.

May I ask everyone opinion as comparison second opinion? 🙏🙏🙏
Attached is the link for all the ripped files.

First Song:
Drive1-Song1-A: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wfcVlw ... sp=sharing
Drive1-Song1-B: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x2EdE0 ... sp=sharing
Drive2-Song1-A: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RbvUVc ... sp=sharing
Drive2-Song1-B: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DNNS0v ... sp=sharing

Next Song:
Drive1-Song2-A:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-lZbfa ... sp=sharing
Drive1-Song2-B: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzbIud ... sp=sharing
Drive2-Song2-A: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGpr1m ... sp=sharing
Drive2-Song2-B: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S11XEm ... sp=sharing

Which one is your most favorite option for each of the two songs (Please use the Tune Method)?

Thank you in Advance.🙏🙏🙏

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

I prefer drive 1 B on both songs
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Thank you. Greatly appreciated...🙏

Anyone else can share some opinion please?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Okay, I'll put my head above the parapet! I was a late convert to iTunes ripping to ALAC, and I found the "no correction" setting to be usefully more musical. My ripping drive is a Samsung SH-224.

For the first song, I initially felt it easy to pick B on drive 1. The difference seemed smaller with Drive 2, and overall I preferred Drive 1 B. Almost! After a second round I am wavering towards Drive 2 B... A third round and Drive 2 B has it, almost, maybe!

On the second song, B was again preferable to A, but this time Drive 2 was the winner on the first round. Edit: round 2 sees Drive 1 preferred...

I'll be interested to see which drive was which, but red-faced if I've chosen the corrected setting!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi David, thanks for sharing your input as well.
I will reveal which drive and option is what after many the responses receive. I honestly feel there is no right or wrong answer, because in this PC I use different motherboard as opposed to your LNAS machine. I am just trying to find whats best for this PC setup from tune method perspective as I want to use it as a ripping machine.

Btw, I find many your post in past very useful in helping me building my Hakkai Network Music Player, thanks for that. I did also built the Hakkai NAS using OMV 4 (i prefer this over OMV 5 after comparing the musicality) connected to Hakai streamer using NFS, and in addition to that, I also use synology ds918 NAS for my "big library" with 4x14TB HDD (SHR). I am interested to build LNAS Unfortunely, by the time I was recommended by my friend, Handoko to check this LJK forum, it was too late. Its so almost impossible to find that asus motherboard and PSU. Found one on ebay bidding last week and was outbidded 🤣

David , Back to my main point, so out of those clips I posted, which one do like THE MOST then?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

audiomonger999 wrote: 2021-02-26 23:04 David , Back to my main point, so out of those clips I posted, which one do like THE MOST then?
1B. But I feel the difference between drives is rather less than the rip settings.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Noted with thanks David... appreciated 🙏
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Hi Ken,
I’ve been unable to play the files on my iPad. I get an error message saying “something went wrong”.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi Spanko. I really have no idea why these clips doesn't play in your IPAD. I tested all on both PC, Hakai and Macbook Pro and all working. I dont have Ipad though, so have no idea.

Can you try it on different platform please?

By the way, Two track from 2 CD was ripped in window 10, using Itunes latest version, in ALAC (.m4a).
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-02-26 23:21 Hi Ken,
I’ve been unable to play the files on my iPad. I get an error message saying “something went wrong”.
Yeah, me too (iPad mini, ,iOS 12.5) . I will try on another device tomorrow.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi Charlie, I googled it about m4a not being able to be played in iOS (ipad n iphome) and it looks like there have been many similar cases like that. Based on what I read, it seems this can be fixed "importing" the files first on itunes. Hopefuly this help as I have no idea since I dont have ipad or iphone. I did however try it on my macbook pro, and it plays just fine....

Ken
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Hi Ken,

Are you using your own cables for playback? What makes them, "the world's best audio cables for your high end system?"

How does your Ares digital network music player differ from a Hakai?
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi FairPlayMonty, yes I am using my own cables for playback. And I don't want to discuss or promote my products here, if you want to talk more about my products you can contact me in private. I am here to discuss and share and exchange some knowledge, especially from tune method perpective which I believe in, to improve my understanding

As for as for Ares is very different from Hakkai. Different software customization and hardware configurations.