Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by springwood64 »

Interesting. I'm single wiring my Espeks using the connection plates. Which posts do I need to connect to replace the plates?
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

If you use the bottom two posts for your speaker cable you need to make connection to those above in the same vertical row and colour (three red connected and three black connected).

Use speaker cable to make the connection. Others have done this before and I am sure you can find pictures/videos on the net to look at secure ways to do it.

If you want to avoid the plate connection completely you just choose the tri-wire plate when making use of the above.
Playing cd’s…………
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

If you want to bypass plates on the back of speakers, try soldering two speakers plugs, at exactly the correct spacing to the end of one piece of wire, making something that looks like an "F".

To make this easy to solder precisely, take an old piece of wood and drill two holes in it so that the speaker plugs fit tightly in. Obviously you make the holes exactly the critical distance apart.

And as Mr L might say, you have to use the right solder at the right heat.......

Donuk
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have just shifted to the tri-wire plate avoiding any Linn plate connection between the posts.

It makes a big difference for the better! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Why have any plate? I assume the triwire plate has no connections between posts.
Pete

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

donuk wrote: 2020-10-11 12:27
And as Mr L might say, you have to use the right solder at the right heat.......
O dear, I'm not sure my cheap soldering iron and 'included free' solder will be up to the job.

I'll try first with some of the speaker cable from my unused length of K400. I can l keep the cable direction consistent too.
Pete

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-11 12:44 Why have any plate? I assume the triwire plate has no connections between posts.
Correct!

Just to keep them a safe place so they do not get lost if you at some point want to sell them on! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Linn K400 bi wire:
Link removed

Linn K20 single wire:
Link removed

Linn K20 single wire using tri wire plate only connecting the posts with aluminium foil! :
Link removed

I need to make some proper connection between the binding posts. This is turning out to be quite a surprise! :-)
Last edited by beck on 2020-10-12 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer the k20 options to k400 but no surprise to me there.

What I'm struggling with is the k20 options. I think I prefer the middle clip so just single wired on its own but maybe a different track would shed a different light on them.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-10-11 16:54 I prefer the k20 options to k400 but no surprise to me there.

What I'm struggling with is the k20 options. I think I prefer the middle clip so just single wired on its own but maybe a different track would shed a different light on them.
Yes, nothing is final yet. I need to investigate further and make some proper connections for the binding posts to compare with the Linn single wire plate.
The idea is to avoid using the connection in the Linn single wire plate and make a quality one yourself.

When listening to the normal single wire solution on my Espeks using the single wire plate with the K20 (middle clip) I lack a slight bit of flow in the music.
Playing cd’s…………
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I was very surprised by the degree and character of the difference between the two K20 clips. I will definitely experiment with my Espeks
Pete

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-11 18:05 I was very surprised by the degree and character of the difference between the two K20 clips. I will definitely experiment with my Espeks
Me too! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Have you tried single wire with just one pair from the K400? That's what I'm using. The K400 runs under the floor for about 6m, so I'm not keen to replace it....
Pete

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-11 18:09 Have you tried single wire with just one pair from the K400? That's what I'm using. The K400 runs under the floor for about 6m, so I'm not keen to replace it....
No, it has not been possible for me yet. I have tried with the normal single wire plate in place just connecting my bi wire cable to it. It sounds ok but I think I prefer the K20 to that solution.

I would in your place just use the K400 you have got and experiment with the replacement for the single wire plate.
Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Have you guys tried connecting the speaker plugs directly to the treble? That's usually the top two posts on the speaker terminal.
The treble always benefit from having the best quality signal and It's also recommended by Fredrik to do so when running speakers in a single wire configuration.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2020-10-12 08:12 Have you guys tried connecting the speaker plugs directly to the treble? That's usually the top two posts on the speaker terminal.
The treble always benefit from having the best quality signal and It's also recommended by Fredrik to do so when running speakers in a single wire configuration.
I have tried it now and it works. It is a slightly different presentation. There are some things I also like when connecting the cable directly to the bass inputs.

I will have to try it out for a longer period to find out what works best for me.
Playing cd’s…………
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2020-10-12 08:12 Have you guys tried connecting the speaker plugs directly to the treble? That's usually the top two posts on the speaker terminal.
Good call - I will try it out.
Pete

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have found out that my last K20 clip was “out of phase” explaning the very different sound.

I have made a new clip and here you can compare it to my other K20 clip.

K20 connected to the bass terminals using the single wire plate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqiym589aqfje ... 0.mov?dl=0

K20 connected to the bass terminals using tri wire plate and aluminium foil to connect the terminals:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6ymak5depu7d ... 2.mov?dl=0

Next step is still to make a proper connection between the terminals.

The clips are much closer now but I prefer the last avoiding the single wire plate.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-11 18:09 Have you tried single wire with just one pair from the K400? That's what I'm using. The K400 runs under the floor for about 6m, so I'm not keen to replace it....
Ha, I have just tried using my bi wire K400 cable into my Espeks configured as a single wire speaker using aluminium foil to connect the terminals.
I connected the K400 to the treble and the bass terminals and got a new version of the sound!

There are a lot of options to try out! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2020-10-12 09:07 I have found out that my last K20 clip was “out of phase” explaning the very different sound.

I have made a new clip and here you can compare it to my other K20 clip.

K20 connected to the bass terminals using the single wire plate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqiym589aqfje ... 0.mov?dl=0

K20 connected to the bass terminals using tri wire plate and aluminium foil to connect the terminals:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6ymak5depu7d ... 2.mov?dl=0

Next step is still to make a proper connection between the terminals.

The clips are much closer now but I prefer the last avoiding the single wire plate.
I prefer second clip using tri wire plate now. More than anything, there seems to be too much resonance in the first clip which is distracting for me. The second clip dampens that down.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Also worth trying - some folk prefer - connecting the plugs diagonally. This way the inevitable resistance caused by the links is shared equally between the speaker networks.

Donuk
PS I know one should not criticise, but, Beck, I am sure having your LP12 sitting on another piece of equipment is not good for SQ. IMHO.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

donuk wrote: 2020-10-12 10:21 PS I know one should not criticise, but, Beck, I am sure having your LP12 sitting on another piece of equipment is not good for SQ. IMHO.
You are most welcome Donuk.

In my setup the Sondek is an important part of it all. Nothing in my setup is by the book! :-)

My stand is optimised for the weight of the Sondek compressing some rubber layers so removing it will make things worse!

If I get the time I will post clips showing the difference.

Starting many years ago with my completely useless stand I got for free from my big brother I have just kept going for years and years listening and adding small features to make it better.

It may not be the right way to do it but I really do enjoy what I have got. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

beck wrote: 2020-10-12 10:44
It may not be the right way to do it but I really do enjoy what I have got. :-)
Then, my friend, it IS the right way to do it. Continue enjoying it!

Donuk
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

donuk wrote: 2020-10-12 10:21
Also worth trying - some folk prefer - connecting the plugs diagonally. This way the inevitable resistance caused by the links is shared equally between the speaker networks.
Whatsmynaim is right, treble inputs is the most musical. There are very few exceptions to this, but they do exist. I had Espeks in a room where using the bass inputs was best. When other parts of the system changed, I retested the connection on the rear of my Espeks. Every time, bass was always best. Puzzling.

I have never met or heard of anyone using the Tune Method who says that a diagonal connection is more musical. It's a silly theory invented by someone who didn't listen.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-10-12 18:04

I have never met or heard of anyone using the Tune Method who says that a diagonal connection is more musical. It's a silly theory invented by someone who didn't listen.
That's a very strong dismissive response, Mr L! Not my preferred configuration I must admit, but it was suggested to me by an established Linn dealer.......

Cheers from damp York

Donuk