Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

WheresMyNaim

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-10-06 19:43
WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 19:38 Rumor has it Macca replaced Ringo on drums sometimes.
I like Ringo's drumming on Beatles LPs, especially the earlier ones where his timing is great to my ears. I guess he wasn't the most technically proficient though.
Me also, Jeff Lynne usually chose well. Bevan played with The Move and Black Sabbath. Got around for a guy with poor sticks.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 19:38 Rumor has it Macca replaced Ringo on drums sometimes.
I like Ringo's drumming on Beatles LPs, especially the earlier ones where his timing is great to my ears. I guess he wasn't the most technically proficient though.
A reporter once asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. “He’s not even the best drummer in the Beatles!” came back the reply 😂😂😂
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Spannko wrote: 2020-10-06 20:51
A reporter once asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. “He’s not even the best drummer in the Beatles!” came back the reply 😂😂😂
Humorous line but debunked by Snopes etc.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 21:24
Spannko wrote: 2020-10-06 20:51
Humorous line but debunked by Snopes etc.
Never let the truth spoil a good story! Anyway, I’m sure I’ve seen the footage.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

If you have witnessed the footage step forward into the limelight Spannko.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Ringo Retort

Post by Ron The Mon »

None of the Beatles were spectacular musicians. The key to their success was creativity, including Ringo. Ringo is my favorite Beatle; I like his singing, drumming, and humor. I've seen his "All Starr" band several times.

His drum parts are clever, and always fit the song. Listen to "She Said She Said" off Revolver as an example. In "When I'm Sixty-Four" he plays brushes on the snare, bass drum beat along with bass guitar, and occasional tastily hitting the bell of a cymbal; very cool.

If Ringo wasn't that good, why do so many drummers have trouble playing his parts? Watch this video. I always read it was George Martin who detuned Ringo's drums. However, in this video you clearly hear he still detunes his tom-toms (at least in 2015).

Paul McCartney only played drums on four Beatles songs. They happen to also to be songs George Harrison didn't play on, because neither of them were in the studio on those dates.

Ron The Mon
Ringo-Fan
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I'm currently watching this hour long drumming lesson by Yogi Horton as he takes us through the history of funk/r&b session drummers.Near the start he gives RS a mentio n saying he was a big influence on Motown drumming as he had impeccable timing.You're in good company Charlie1😁
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote: 2020-10-07 00:11 I'm currently watching this hour long drumming lesson by Yogi Horton as he takes us through the history of funk/r&b session drummers.Near the start he gives RS a mentio n saying he was a big influence on Motown drumming as he had impeccable timing.You're in good company Charlie1😁
:)
I got through half of that video so far. I learned quite a lot from it- although coming from a point of knowing very little so some folks may not get so much out of it.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for SBLs

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-10-06 19:01 Wasn't looking for SBLs (or any more speakers) but my dealer offered them at a good price so I thought I'd give them a try. One previous owner.

They've literally just been plonked down on the carpet so not level or anything. I do have some grills to fit too. Quite a complicated speaker by the sounds of it.

I don't think they are as musical as Kans (as things stand now) but they are technically very proficient whilst still engaging.

The 32.5 has been running a few days but the BD160 is cold - I swapped it over cos they seemed to need a bit more power than the 110 could offer. Trusty VM95C on the Ittok/K9 body.

Sorry, more Eagles :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ygcrfri6jqio ... 1.MOV?dl=0
Great, it's in their blood ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 23:15 If you have witnessed the footage step forward into the limelight Spannko.
Ha ha, yes, I must have dreamt it!

Re: Ringo’s drumming. I’m another fan, for the same reasons others have mentioned.
El Mero Mero

Re: Playground for SBLs

Post by El Mero Mero »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-10-06 19:01 Wasn't looking for SBLs (or any more speakers) but my dealer offered them at a good price so I thought I'd give them a try.
Very nice! I have never heard them but would really like to. I have also owned a pair of Rega ELA mk 1.5 like the ones in your previous video. I liked them but could not stand the monotone bass.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Spannko wrote: 2020-10-07 15:01 Ha ha, yes, I must have dreamt it!

Re: Ringo’s drumming. I’m another fan, for the same reasons others have mentioned.
You have to love Ringo and facts. He plays well on the underrated Flaming Pie.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Ringo Retort

Post by Tendaberry »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2020-10-06 23:55 None of the Beatles were spectacular musicians.
That may be so, but I still think Paul is a fantastic bass player, Ringo a great drummer and I do enjoy George's guitar playing.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I will let your ears bleed one more time as I find this important.

Listen for the drum parts. Which drummer is better? Bev1 or Bev2:

Bev1: Link removed

Bev2: Link removed

Further down you can find the right K20 clip.
Last edited by beck on 2020-10-08 22:14, edited 3 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Bev 1 plays tighter to my ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting comparison. On Bev2 I can hear the drum sound more clearly, but Bev1 has the better drummer.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Bev1 for me. It's better ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Bev1 got a skillful musician drumming with energy and a purpose. Bev2 sounds like a lifeless recording of Bev1.
So.. what caused the difference this time?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2020-10-08 17:51 Bev1 got a skillful musician drumming with energy and a purpose. Bev2 sounds like a lifeless recording of Bev1.
So.. what caused the difference this time?
Bev2 is me trying some single wire K20 up against Bev1 which is my normal K400 bi wire setup.

I got the K20 cheap and was interested in hearing what it sounded like in my system.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ha, I am using the K20 in the wrong direction! Makes them boring to listen to. The other way is much better.

Bev2 (K20 direction changed) :

Link removed

So now the starting question is kind of out of date. Links will be removed again.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I missed the clips - what's the answer to the (out of date) question: is k20 single-wired (in the right direction ;) as good or better than k400 bi-wire? Did you try different configurations with the single-wired k20 connections at the speakers? And, if you do find single-wired to be better, as others have found, then are you able to test your k400 single-wired, against the k20, with the 'spare' connectors isolated and insulated for safety?
Or maybe you're too busy enjoying the music that single-wired brings - less is more ;) :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

tokenbrit wrote: I missed the clips - what's the answer to the (out of date) question: is k20 single-wired (in the right direction ;) as good or better than k400 bi-wire? Did you try different configurations with the single-wired k20 connections at the speakers? And, if you do find single-wired to be better, as others have found, then are you able to test your k400 single-wired, against the k20, with the 'spare' connectors isolated and insulated for safety?
Or maybe you're too busy enjoying the music that single-wired brings - less is more ;) :)
You did not miss anything important! :-)

I am in the middle of trying out K20 in my setup and I want to take my time to get the best out of it before making any final call (including using it in the right direction!).
With my cd player it only took a couple of years!

What I can say is that the musical timing I get is very natural and cd has lost any sign of being thin and “digital” sounding.

CD and K20 are most likely staying and later on (as you say) I can experiment with my K400 if I decide to do so.

My K400 setup play music with a vitality that I do not wish to loose. This I think will be the hardest act for any other speaker cable (configuration) to follow.
Playing cd’s…………
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I may have missed something Beck, but have you tried using just half the K400 in single wire mode.
Better than K20 to my (non-tunedem) ears.....

Donuk
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

donuk wrote: 2020-10-09 18:16 I may have missed something Beck, but have you tried using just half the K400 in single wire mode.
Better than K20 to my (non-tunedem) ears.....

Donuk
No, no. That may happen in 2022 or thereabout! :-)

Remember that to me the investigation is almost as joyful as the listening itself. If anyone had told me ten years ago that in the future I would be listening to cd’s on a cheap cd player and enjoy it I would have shaken my head in disbelief! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Talking about investigating:

Yesterday I tried something I have been thinking about for a long time. With single wire K20 as speakercable I bipassed the connection plates on the back of my Espeks using aluminium foil to connect the binding posts on the outside. Later I will use spare parts of speakercable.

I have for a long time suspected that my preference for bi-wire/tri-wire had to do with the plates used by Linn to connect the binding posts on the back of the Espeks.

And my suspicion was confirmed. The small downside I had heard using singlewire was gone.
Musical flow is now similar to my bi-wire setup.

The investigation goes on...........
Playing cd’s…………