Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by beck »

kallesprätt wrote: 2020-07-10 11:06
beck wrote: Great kallesprätt!

This is this first time I listen to your digital setup and fully get into the music. I think you can guess my preferred clip.
I guess so :)
It´s crazy what a pair of cables can do!
👍 😃

Digital is easy! ;-)

You just have to keep “looking” until you find the music.

Voted by pm.

One more thing: open voting has pros and cons.

We need open voting to discuss and educate each other. It is not easy to let go listening for sound more than music. Therefore it would be a shame if every voting ended up being “secret”.
Playing cd’s…………
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

Feel free to vote, I have already made up my mind.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2020-07-10 11:09 We need open voting to discuss and educate each other. It is not easy to let go listening for sound more than music. Therefore it would be a shame if every voting ended up being “secret”.
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

So to make this an open comparison I can tell that I prefer clip 1 from kallasprätt. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Clip 1 for me too
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This is one of those times I wonder if the first playing of clips doesn't have a problem. When I first listened to Clip 1 I thought something was wrong. Then I listened to Clip 2 and thought it was better. Then I listened to Clip 2 and Clip 1 a second time, in that reverse order, and preferred Clip 1, and the same going back in the first direction. This was before going to the last page and seeing other's comments. Now I still prefer Clip 1 each time regardless of which I listen to first. Maybe it gets buffered on the computer once you have played it? I'm not sure but I have had this happen before where a clip sounds bad once and then sounds better a second time, etc.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-07-10 23:39 This is one of those times I wonder if the first playing of clips doesn't have a problem. When I first listened to Clip 1 I thought something was wrong. Then I listened to Clip 2 and thought it was better. Then I listened to Clip 2 and Clip 1 a second time, in that reverse order, and preferred Clip 1, and the same going back in the first direction. This was before going to the last page and seeing other's comments. Now I still prefer Clip 1 each time regardless of which I listen to first. Maybe it gets buffered on the computer once you have played it? I'm not sure but I have had this happen before where a clip sounds bad once and then sounds better a second time, etc.
As ThomasOK surely knows it is possible to download the dropbox clips onto your own device and listen to them in a better and safer manner with a very quick shift when going from the one clip to the other.

You only have to tab the three dots in the top right corner.
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-07-10 23:39 This is one of those times I wonder if the first playing of clips doesn't have a problem. When I first listened to Clip 1 I thought something was wrong. Then I listened to Clip 2 and thought it was better. Then I listened to Clip 2 and Clip 1 a second time, in that reverse order, and preferred Clip 1, and the same going back in the first direction. This was before going to the last page and seeing other's comments. Now I still prefer Clip 1 each time regardless of which I listen to first. Maybe it gets buffered on the computer once you have played it? I'm not sure but I have had this happen before where a clip sounds bad once and then sounds better a second time, etc.
I’ve noticed this too. When it happens, I’ve a feeling that it’s got something to do with us experiencing “aural shock” which takes a short time to recover from. When we’ve got used to the new sound, we can then start hearing the finer differences.

Also, I think it takes a track or two for my ear phones to warm up.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Spannko wrote: 2020-07-11 07:37
Also, I think it takes a track or two for my ear phones to warm up.
+1, I also recognize this = time to worm up of headphones, since there was longer time no "clips". Than go to YouTube to worm-up things :-)...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2020-07-11 00:00
As ThomasOK surely knows it is possible to download the dropbox clips onto your own device and listen to them in a better and safer manner with a very quick shift when going from the one clip to the other.

You only have to tab the three dots in the top right corner.
I didn't know that :-(
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

+1, in way clip 1 and than 2 and opposite first 2 than 1 ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi Thomas thank you for bringing this up - I got real unhappy because when I heard the clips I also preferred option 2 the first round. Than beck wrote he preferred option 1 so I gave up. Maybe there is still hope?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Defender wrote: 2020-07-11 17:48 hi Thomas thank you for bringing this up - I got real unhappy because when I heard the clips I also preferred option 2 the first round. Than beck wrote he preferred option 1 so I gave up. Maybe there is still hope?
I am not failproof and can easily make mistakes.

Stick with your own gut feeling and ask for explanation if in doubt. This is not a competition. We are trying to understand what is going on.

That is hard enough. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I didnt felt it like a competition but I know that I trust your ears - so your take is kinda like a benchmark for me.
And as I want to get more consistent with my opinion it helps me.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

kallesprätt wrote: 2020-07-10 10:53 Cable comparison!
Microconnect vs Blue jeans cables between Hakai->Switch->Nas

1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g4syaac3qxuq ... 8.mov?dl=0

2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pw3w53q9fqzo ... 1.mov?dl=0

/Kallesprätt
For me Clip 1.

For final decision (beside other upper mentioned issues) most important for me was supporting vocals ... on Clip 1 they are in tune ... supporting. On Clip 2 they are are out of tune ... something like leading ... or loud ...

Also Clips are more than 1 min. and I try to listen and compare at the beginning, where it was harder to make decision ... but than come part with supporting vocals (1+ min.) ...
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Defender wrote: 2020-07-11 17:59 I didnt felt it like a competition but I know that I trust your ears - so your take is kinda like a benchmark for me.
And as I want to get more consistent with my opinion it helps me.
I can feel the weight on my shoulders getting heavier! :-)

I did come on strong with my opinion about kallesprätts clips and I apologize for that. It makes it difficult for less trained ears to take a different stand. I do understand why clip 2 could be the chosen one for many..........
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-07-11 18:02
For final decision (beside other upper mentioned issues) most important for me was supporting vocals ... on Clip 1 they are in tune ... supporting. On Clip 2 they are are out of tune ... something like leading ... or loud ...
That is a great “observation” Vlado. I can hear it too!
Playing cd’s…………
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

I prefer clip 1 which is the Blue Jeans cables.
To me it’s clear after the first seconds that clip 1 is a lot less stiff and have better flow than clip 2, and their voices has more nuances and more emotion, but then I have heard the difference at home and know what to listen for.

/Kallesprätt
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer 1 as well.
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

To make things clear are we taking about the Blue Jeans cat 6a?
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

Robert Lake wrote: 2020-07-14 15:21 To make things clear are we taking about the Blue Jeans cat 6a?
Yes, #1 is Blue jeans cables cat 6a 8,5 foot.
#2 is microconnect cables
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

There seems to be a growing following for the Design a Cable Catsnake cat6a with a floating shield. Has anyone heard it?
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

Spannko wrote: 2020-07-14 22:24 There seems to be a growing following for the Design a Cable Catsnake cat6a with a floating shield. Has anyone heard it?
1: Design a cable Catsnake Cat6a floating
2: Microconnect
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Ah! I forgot that you’ve already compared the catsnake to the microconnect.

I know nearly everyone preferred the microconnect, but I found them very close, with a slight preference for the catsnake. However, I agree with everyone that the bjc is quite a bit better than the microconnect, so it looks like the bjc is the current Lejonklou forum favourite.

Some time ago I did a bjc and Meicord shootout where the Meicord was preferred by everyone who voted. I’ll record the cables again and see what people think this time round.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Here is a funny one! 😃

Do you prefer the music in normal playback or as part of a programmed playlist?

Normal : https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q6dtqzawgbmn ... 5.mov?dl=0

Program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr8lec67t8dic ... 9.mov?dl=0
Playing cd’s…………