Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi all! For starters, this wasn't a fair comparison - just something I threw up for fun. Linn has a new Silver Interconnect II cable that replaces the original. I heard it might be good so I ordered in a pair. This compares the mk II to the original. But the original are the best two individual original RCA Slivers I have and the mk II are the first pair I have opened and were not burned in at all. Using that 1 through 4 numbering the mk II are 1 and 4 and the originals are 2 and 3.

There are things I like about the mk II but like most here I am not convinced yet. However, I will burn these in for a couple of months and I also have another couple pair that are being put in use elsewhere. So eventually I will be able to pick the best two out of six that are burned in and do a more fair test. This was just some listening I was doing to get an early feel and I thought I might as well pop the clips up here.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

well Thomas that was actually a comparison I was waiting for. I am pretty impressed if 1 and 4 are the new MKIIs / not completely burned in Silver Interconnects because if they are out of the box that good to create confusion if your selected old Silvers are better than there is a good hope those are winners.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-06-03 20:39 Hi all! For starters, this wasn't a fair comparison - just something I threw up for fun. Linn has a new Silver Interconnect II cable that replaces the original. I heard it might be good so I ordered in a pair. This compares the mk II to the original. But the original are the best two individual original RCA Slivers I have and the mk II are the first pair I have opened and were not burned in at all. Using that 1 through 4 numbering the mk II are 1 and 4 and the originals are 2 and 3.

There are things I like about the mk II but like most here I am not convinced yet. However, I will burn these in for a couple of months and I also have another couple pair that are being put in use elsewhere. So eventually I will be able to pick the best two out of six that are burned in and do a more fair test. This was just some listening I was doing to get an early feel and I thought I might as well pop the clips up here.
Ha, very good ...

This looks to me like Cirkus vs Karousel ...

However great music from Karousel and Silver Mk II ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-28 20:52 I can tell you from past experience that putting a Rega Planar 2 or 3 in front of quality Naim electronics and Isobariks is a recipe for fatigue. The flaws of the turntable are pretty much all that is noticeable.
Hi Thomas,
This is in "general" your experience with Rega TT in front of Naim ... or old Rega Planar 2 & 3 in front of quality Naim equipment ...
Do you have experience with new P 6, 8, 10 ... Question is as always from point of view on musicality ...
Thank you ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

as stated already at the Linn Silver Interconnect discussion ... got my pair of Linn Silver Analogue Interconnect ll‘s today and they play nice and wonderful
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-06 13:03
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-28 20:52 I can tell you from past experience that putting a Rega Planar 2 or 3 in front of quality Naim electronics and Isobariks is a recipe for fatigue. The flaws of the turntable are pretty much all that is noticeable.
Hi Thomas,
This is in "general" your experience with Rega TT in front of Naim ... or old Rega Planar 2 & 3 in front of quality Naim equipment ...
Do you have experience with new P 6, 8, 10 ... Question is as always from point of view on musicality ...
Thank you ...
I have experience with the Planar 6 and the RP8 and RP10 but not the newer Planar 8 and Planar 10 as we don't currently have them on display. I actually quite like the Planar 6 and feel it is a very good value turntable, probably an even better value than the Planar 3, which I used to and still consider as one of the champs. The 6 is a musical table and a very good choice for the money. But the Majik LP12, especially with the new arm and Karousel, is an outstanding value for money. I have not tried the new Planars in front of Naim equipment (for one thing we don't carry Naim equipment) or really other higher end equipment. But the hierarchy hasn't changed and an LP12 through a Cambridge AX35 ($349.00US) and a pair of PSB Alpha P5s ($399.00) is still basically assured to musically beat any lesser turntable regardless of what you plug it into.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-06-10 21:37
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-06 13:03
Hi Thomas,
Thank you ...
I have experience with the Planar 6 and the RP8 and RP10 but not the newer Planar 8 and Planar 10 as we don't currently have them on display. I actually quite like the Planar 6 and feel it is a very good value turntable, probably an even better value than the Planar 3, which I used to and still consider as one of the champs. The 6 is a musical table and a very good choice for the money. But the Majik LP12, especially with the new arm and Karousel, is an outstanding value for money. I have not tried the new Planars in front of Naim equipment (for one thing we don't carry Naim equipment) or really other higher end equipment. But the hierarchy hasn't changed and an LP12 through a Cambridge AX35 ($349.00US) and a pair of PSB Alpha P5s ($399.00) is still basically assured to musically beat any lesser turntable regardless of what you plug it into.
Thank you Thomas for your answer, that is exactly what I wont to know ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

here is a new comparison - as there is some discussion about a dedicated power supply for the hifi here is a comparison between a dedicated one versus a normal one.
The Hifi one is on a dedicated circuit breaker with a fuse (not automatic) has a 4mm2 cable and only one power socket ... I am not able to check if the cable has the right direction.

The other one is on an automatic circuit breaker has 2.5mm2 cable - the cable was as well not checked for best direction.

Option 1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u42vl6mydipw ... 7.mov?dl=0

Option 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kd9wzlgh4g7jz ... 3.mov?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Listening to option 2 I relax and enjoy the music.
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Defender wrote: 2020-06-14 09:35 The other one is on an automatic circuit breaker has 2.5mm2 cable - the cable was as well not checked for best direction.

Option 1

Option 2
Option 2 for me as well, no. 1 sounds stiff.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for your feedback - thats also what I hear ... but I am still impressed how clear your statements are as I found it more difficult to decide when I was listening to my own recordings.

Option 1 was the regular power distribution
Option 2 is the dedicated Hifi power distribution
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I might do another recording tomorrow to show how just turning the fuse to the other direction is going to screw up musicality. The fuse is about 8-10meters away.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

beck wrote: 2020-06-14 10:02 Listening to option 2 I relax and enjoy the music.
Agreed - option 1 has nice sounds but option 2 is much more musical.

Is it just me or is this is quite a common finding with comparisons .

One option has impressive sounds but the other has better musicality and is more enjoyable.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

u252agz wrote: 2020-06-14 17:24
beck wrote: Listening to option 2 I relax and enjoy the music.
Agreed - option 1 has nice sounds but option 2 is much more musical.

One option has impressive sounds but the other has better musicality and is more enjoyable.
I find it to be quite common. One of the reasons why it is not a trivial task to improve on a musical hifi system.
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I agree its common however not always the case. I also agree with beck that this is the main reason why many develop their systems in the wrong direction ... which is easy if you dont have the right focus. Thats also why having this forum and people reassuring or disagreeing is wonderfull.

here is
Option 2 again

Option 3 is the same but the fuse turned
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g7guw3xdlqqe ... 1.mov?dl=0
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-06-14 09:35 The other one is on an automatic circuit breaker has 2.5mm2 cable - the cable was as well not checked for best direction.

Option 1

Option 2
Here I'm for option 2. Singing ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-06-14 19:54

I agree its common however not always the case. I also agree with beck that this is the main reason why many develop their systems in the wrong direction ... which is easy if you dont have the right focus. Thats also why having this forum and people reassuring or disagreeing is wonderfull.

here is
Option 2 again

Here I'm for Option 3. Here I like musicality especially in the vocals ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-14 20:22 Here I'm for Option 3. Here I like musicality especially in the vocals ...
uups - I still think I like the Option 2 a little bit more
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

here is
Option 2 again

For some reason, I find this comparison difficult. Leaning towards 2.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2020-06-15 13:07
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-14 20:22 Here I'm for Option 3. Here I like musicality especially in the vocals ...
uups - I still think I like the Option 2 a little bit more
Yes ... You and Fredrik like Options 2 which is as well excellent, but to me when ever are vocals in game, my mind goes there = in this case they are ..... with special communication and make my decision to go slightly to Option 3. Maybe I'm wrong ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

2 for me as well.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

2 flows better , but there is quite a bit of 3 which Runs it close.

Maybe a couple of different tacks would help ?
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

here is
Option 2 again

Definitely option 2 for me.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for all the feedback ... as already said I also prefer the Option 2 although the initial thought after turning the fuse was - “that also sounds good“ but than I realized it came together with less understanding of what is going on
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Defender wrote: 2020-06-16 15:19 ................although the initial thought after turning the fuse was - “that also sounds good“ but then I realized it came together with less understanding of what is going on
What really matters in a nutshell.
Playing cd’s…………