Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-28 00:32 OK, more clips, aided and abetted by Bella. There are three clips here but they are not an A/B/C. Compare Clip A to Clip B and let me know which one you feel is better. Then compare Clip B to Clip C and do the same. You are comparing two different changes, they just have Clip B in common.

Clip A
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vf8fay8nxc2v ... m.mov?dl=0

Clip B
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mtmlv0yarn87 ... m.mov?dl=0

Clip C
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7k1q9ftpwgzm ... m.mov?dl=0
A & B ... Prefer B ... B is much better in all aspects ... on A is missing complete low / bass range ...
B & C ... Prefer B ... C is somehow confused ...
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I almost changed my mind reading tokenbrit and charlie1 and listening again but then I listened to the drummer from 13 sec in the video and forward and hear him getting the feeling of the beat “right” with the rest so I still prefer B.
Playing cd’s…………
AlbannachFE

Post by AlbannachFE »

Seems I'm in a minority of one, then!
I prefer Clip A - B & C sound, well, weird, like a different recording almost; the vocal, while clearer and more detailed, doesn't really sound like Anderson to me, it seems rather strident and hard, and it 'sticks out like a sore thumb'. Clip A is more coherent, natural, with a vocal that actually sounds part of the music.

This is on the basis of listening through crappy laptop speakers - I'll try and have listen later with headphones to see if my opinion changes.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-28 00:32 OK, more clips, aided and abetted by Bella. There are three clips here but they are not an A/B/C. Compare Clip A to Clip B and let me know which one you feel is better. Then compare Clip B to Clip C and do the same. You are comparing two different changes, they just have Clip B in common.
Well, apart from the fact that the first riff is missing in A, I find B a lot better really. I am, however, struggling to decide between B and C.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

AlbannachFE wrote: 2020-02-28 11:27
This is on the basis of listening through crappy laptop speakers - I'll try and have listen later with headphones to see if my opinion changes.
Yes, do it, you will see / hear difference ...
I at the beginning of TM training I also do it in 2 way, but with headphones is much easier and real decision .....
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-02-28 11:30
Well, apart from the fact that the first riff is missing in A, I find B a lot better really. I am, however, struggling to decide between B and C.
+1 for B ... in A - B.
I don't want to push you in some direction ... But A & C are (for me) at same level ... with note to C ... less missing low frequency ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Hi
Think I like B most. A little more in tune and clearer.

Would like to share some clips with you. Is it just to make a recording with the phone and put it on dropbox?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yep, that's all.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Ok here we go, hope I don´t interrupt previous session. This is two two wallshelfs I use for my LP12 named left and right. Need help to decide which one that is best.

LeftA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqiq3p2l5rw4e ... A.mov?dl=0
RightA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uab0i5am3c026 ... A.mov?dl=0

LeftB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdwr93yie2d3h ... B.mov?dl=0
RightB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo6t21rbfttjz ... B.mov?dl=0
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Freddy wrote: 2020-02-28 13:20 Ok here we go, hope I don´t interrupt previous session. This is two two wallshelfs I use for my LP12 named left and right. Need help to decide which one that is best.
Defo prefer LeftA.

Seemed closer on the B clip and then I kind of lost the plot, so would need to come back to it later.

But what about the Harmoni? Isn't that the best place for your deck, even if the floor is not concrete?
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2020-02-28 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ha, on first listen I clearly prefer RightA (more emotion in voice) and RightB clips. Lovely.

I will return for a second listen tonight. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Freddy wrote: 2020-02-28 13:20 Ok here we go, hope I don´t interrupt previous session. This is two two wallshelfs I use for my LP12 named left and right. Need help to decide which one that is best.

LeftA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqiq3p2l5rw4e ... A.mov?dl=0
RightA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uab0i5am3c026 ... A.mov?dl=0

LeftB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdwr93yie2d3h ... B.mov?dl=0
RightB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo6t21rbfttjz ... B.mov?dl=0
For me Left ... on A only.
Right is something wrong with female voice ...
Music First ...
Vlado
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Wow, mixed views on this one... I’m on Right.

But it’s difficult. My initial impression was the the acoustic bass and Kurt’s singing gelled better on right. Then I probably listened too many times and got decreasingly confident...
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tricky one! Dave Grohl's brushwork sounds off and slightly confused on the left one, I have a small preference for right.
Last edited by Tendaberry on 2020-02-28 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Clip A
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vf8fay8nxc2v ... m.mov?dl=0

Clip B
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mtmlv0yarn87 ... m.mov?dl=0

Clip C
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7k1q9ftpwgzm ... m.mov?dl=0
decision between A and B was a clear B for me - started with A and thought what happened to your system and hoped B was better and it was

between B and C it was more close and even I think C shows more details I preferred B a little more

A was 70% compared to B 100% and C 95% in that comparison
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

got kinda confused with the naming
liked Left A first but than heard Right A and was also hearing more emotion in her voice like beck so I compared them again and I am Right A now
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-27 23:43
maffe wrote: 2020-02-26 18:56
beck wrote: 2020-02-26 18:21 Yes, I can now hear the trap (recording) I might have fallen in, as with the ThomasOk clips! Maybe we (I) are reaching a kind of limit when differences are small? Or I have to adjust......
Don’t think you have fallen into any trap!
Testing different variations with one vs two slipsik
So when are you going to let us know which is which?
Curiosity killed the cat and we can’t have that;)
One or two more clips and we’re done!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Freddy wrote: 2020-02-28 12:53 Hi
Think I like B most. A little more in tune and clearer.

Would like to share some clips with you. Is it just to make a recording with the phone and put it on dropbox?
yes Freddy best is to do as mentioned before set the phone to Flight Mode - no Bluetooth no wifi no carrier
record the clips upload to Dropbox with the dropbox app ... copy the link

make sure no mike is blocked through the way you hold the phone during recording
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A lot of interesting commentary on my three clips, but that is what I expected. A little preamble before the reveal. In preparation for the show I am listening to a bunch of records, less for pure enjoyment (although I am enjoying them), and more for suitability. Records I use at a show have certain characteristics that aren't necessarily as important at home.
1. No "audiophile" standards that you will hear in every other room.
Sorry Dianna Krall, sorry Nils Lofgren but Keith Don't Go in my room. I do bring some records that could be considered "audiophile" but only if they are really good musically and are not overplayed.
2. Mostly they have to have a fair amount of energy
People generally don't sit and listen very long so 10 minute quiet piano or guitar intros don't make it. Pieces which have a fair amount going on pretty quickly, like "Aqualung", play the best most of the time. Mellow jazz is fine but again is best when multiple instrumentalists are playing. However, I am bringing a newer "trance" rock album and some other things like Chopin piano nocturnes (see #5). Sometimes you can get by with playing really mellow stuff late in the day when things are quieting down.
3. They must have pretty quiet surfaces
While at home I don't care as much, at a show any record that has noise, even some that I would consider not too bad, will get the digital guys complaining "Why do people listen to this noisy vinyl." Yes, this was said in my room once. I don't care as much about those types but really quiet vinyl on a system like mine, which further minimizes it's effect, tends to blow a lot of people's minds, and it removes a possible objection to the sound (I sound like a salesman there).
4. They must be good musically
This should go without saying, and also ties into #1, but there is a lot of just plain dreck played at shows.
5. There must be much variety
This isn't hard for me as I listen to a very eclectic bunch of music. But I feel it is necessary to have records that can appeal to almost every taste (OK I don't have any Hip Hop). So there will be all sorts of music and from all different time periods. I am very proud of having been told many times at each show that we have the best musical taste of anyone at the show. I also enjoy getting surprised and pleased looks when someone wants to hear Beethoven's 7th and I ask whether they would prefer Böhm or Kleiber.
6. Generally the whole album should be good
This isn't hard and fast as I might bring something for one or two particularly good cuts. But you often get talking and the whole side of the album plays. This isn't good if all except one track are pretty lackluster. Although you can sometimes be surprised as last year when I brought a Steely Dan record I only liked one track on and found the whole thing was actually quite good - which was brought home when Fredrik asked what that great track was and I noticed it was one of the tracks I didn't think I liked!
So most of what I've been making clips of are things I have been listening to deciding if they go or stay. I'm still on the fence about "Hit Me With You're Best Shot" - not because I don't think the track is good enough - but because of the other tracks. More specifically because the next track is "Hell is for Children" and I can't listen to it without crying.

So back to these three clips. I knew that there would be some interesting takes on them because of what they are and I was certainly right! So the quick breakdown:
Clip A My original US "Aqualung" album. Almost certainly a first pressing as I bought it as soon as it was released.
Clip B The 25th anniversary "Aqualung" remixed by Steven Wilson from 24/96 digital masters of the original multi-track analog tapes
Clip C The same record as Clip B, but with all Lejonklou AC cables instead of Linn Longwells on the Sagatun Monos and Tundra Monos

Clip A and B were meant to be fun and to prove a point - that records from well mastered digital tapes can be quite musical. I'm still not 100% sure which I like better as I haven't just relaxed and listened through a whole side of each. But I surprised myself by tending towards the 25th anniversary version and that is the one which will go to the show. So something to poke a little fun at analog purism - including my own.

Steven Wilson is a brilliant remixer and always attempts to not modernize the sound but to make it sound more like what the artists originally envisioned. The artists he has remixed for, including King Crimson, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Tears for Fears, etc. have all been quite pleased with his results. So, yes, as some noticed it actually is a bit different version. I do think it is one that serves the music and I did like it more in the room.

Clip C is also controversial but there is likely reason for that. In room I definitely preferred Clip C as I felt everything worked together musically more than Clip B. Some might have sensed my preference from the length of Clip C. On the other hand, the Lejonklou cables were just unwrapped prior to plugging them in. So they weren't burnt in and were cold. They also hadn't time to relax from their folded up state. I'm quite sure this helped some of the varying opinions on B and C from all of you. I just didn't have time to burn them in first and wanted to get them in the system so they are ready for Axpona.

Finally, I can't claim Bella settled down for C because she liked it better. It is more like she was trying to get my attention on Clip B so I would let her outside, which I did while I switched cables. But she didn't seem overly impressed with Clip A. Also I hadn't noticed I cut off the first part of Clip A, but such is the problem when trying to navigate back to your seat around the dog and get there in time to start the recording. The 11 second clip where I nearly tripped over her was deleted. :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Good set of clips Thomas. Have a great time at Axpona. Your setup should make some “noise”! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Hey Thomas,
I really liked to read how much you thought about the show. You are an good ol sales guy - know your audience/customers and the situation you are going to present at - really well thought through.
Every customer of yours should be really really happy and spoil you. Wonderful to have you here.

With respect to the clips - if you had asked which of them we would think had some kind of digitalization in it I would have instantaneously pointed at clip A.
Not happy that I was not able to distinguish Longwell vs. new Lejonklou power cords as you last comparison was obvious to me.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Defender, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. The last comparisons used Lejonklou power cables that had a fair bit of burn in. The first one of just the Radikal was with a Lejonklou AC cable that had been used for months and the other had at least about a week on the cables I used for the SINGularity pair. So using totally fresh cables was throwing a bit of a curve ball. If I get a chance I'll do another set of clips once these four cables have a fair bit of time on them.

Yeah, I did find it interesting that several of the analog people preferred Clip B or C over A, myself included.

Thanks for the other positive thoughts from you and beck. I look forward to my customers spoiling me. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I am trying to optimize my arm torques (and also trying to understand how much my torque driver is off) but it seems there is either a torque with more musicality or one where I can follow voices better ... I would than think the torque between the two should do but that also doesn't perfectly work:

Clip 1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4gtck7dcl0uf ... 1.mov?dl=0

Clip 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko7p46uxwpzpa ... 9.mov?dl=0

Clip 3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/88alf9xclyqm1 ... 7.mov?dl=0

positions are one notch and the next notch - Clip 2 is in between two(half a notch)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Clip 1 for me.

I do not believe in listening for the setup that makes it easier to follow something. Music is about what is shared between the musicians.

I want to be touched by the music and just let my thoughts fly when listening.

Your clip 1 can do that to me. Your system sounds great Defender! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

1 for me as well.

Maybe try the other side of the A setting...