Post by Charlie1 »

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by beck »

Great clips Charlie1!

You can now start dancing! :-)

Easy to hear the benifits of the upgrade of your Tundra.

You have no reason to be unhappy with your system. Enjoy. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:
beck wrote:I am now in a situation where a digitally remastered copy can be just as good as the analog copy I own. Have a listen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c3gky5z771au ... 2.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s40wik6oyp4p7 ... 0.mov?dl=0
Are we picking a preference here? What is the difference between them?

My initial preference is with the first clip.
I am just listening and gathering imformation not changing the setup as it is now not making any final judgement.

You are listening to an analog record and a digitally remastered record.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: Easy to hear the benifits of the upgrade of your Tundra.
Cool! I was a bit worried it doesn't come across too well, and then thinking about whether a Sat morning with washing machine and dryer running was a good idea.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:You are listening to an analog record and a digitally remastered record.
OK, sorry, comprehension is not one of my strengths.

Hope I picked the analogue version! :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

beck wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:
beck wrote:I am now in a situation where a digitally remastered copy can be just as good as the analog copy I own. Have a listen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c3gky5z771au ... 2.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s40wik6oyp4p7 ... 0.mov?dl=0
Are we picking a preference here? What is the difference between them?

My initial preference is with the first clip.
I am just listening and gathering imformation not changing the setup as it is now not making any final judgement.

You are listening to an analog record and a digitally remastered record.
I agree that you have them both sounding musical but I am liking clip one a little bit better. The third may be corny but it is also much fun!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: ....... The third may be corny but it is also much fun!
I agree Thomas! :-). Each time I hear the horn I start to giggle. It must be because of me being a musician reacting on its pitch being a quarter note to high at max changing with the pressure from the hand!
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:
ThomasOK wrote: ....... The third may be corny but it is also much fun!
I agree Thomas! :-). Each time I hear the horn I start to giggle. It must be because of me being a musician reacting on its pitch being a quarter note to high at max changing with the pressure from the hand!
Forgot to play that clip earlier - I was getting the hurry up from my wife.
Yes, quirky and fun and very easy to follow the tune, despite the many processes going on between your recording and playing back on a laptop - amazing really.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Very nice set of clips and they certainly demonstrate clearly the superiority of the Tundra 2.5. The instruments and voices all sound more real, more texture, more subtle shadings, more dynamic contrasts, more vocal nuances - they all sound like better musicians. And for the second set you picked a hometown boy - I liked it so much that when it ended prematurely I had to go to the web and find it so I could listen to the whole thing. A bit ironic, on the other hand, that you would pick the song "Still the Same" for this comparison. ;-)

One question though, I notice the lights are off on the 2.5 clips. Has the upgrade changed the preference there? My experience with the Tundra maps is that they are a touch more musical with the lights on. Maybe it can get better yet!
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:Very nice set of clips and they certainly demonstrate clearly the superiority of the Tundra 2.5.
That's great to read. I was a little too close to this one to be able to really be sure, via the clips. Always been V happy with what's changed in the room.
ThomasOK wrote:more subtle shadings, more dynamic contrasts, more vocal nuances
Really glad you picked up on that - it's just how I feel too.

I didn't mention it before, but, like you say, it's more dynamic which is something I wanted (as mentioned in other thread). It really helps with the uptempo tracks.

The other week I was moaning about car magazine reviews and how they are often not critical of a car at the time, but then refer to its weakness when the new 'better' model is released. It's like they don't want to upset the manufacturer first time around. But sometimes, you just don't realise something until it's improved upon. So, whilst 2.2 has a more laid back Californian dreamer feel, it wasn't so strong on 'some' driving rock. I think T2.5 really changes that and a few tracks I'd "gone off a little bit" are now back to their best.
ThomasOK wrote:And for the second set you picked a hometown boy - I liked it so much that when it ended prematurely I had to go to the web and find it so I could listen to the whole thing. A bit ironic, on the other hand, that you would pick the song "Still the Same" for this comparison. ;-)
Ha - I'd not twigged that. I never put any thought goes into the lyrics sung in these clips, so that's quite funny.
ThomasOK wrote:One question though, I notice the lights are off on the 2.5 clips. Has the upgrade changed the preference there? My experience with the Tundra maps is that they are a touch more musical with the lights on. Maybe it can get better yet!
I just did it for aesthetics. Also, the KK light goes off too, after a minute or so. I will have to compare now though. I didn't notice any difference when I first switched.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

OK, something Beck and I were debating earlier. These two clips may divide opinion but that's fine - we can't agree all the time. Nothing to do with mains blocks or supports this time...

Option 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5hebwokhayzj ... 9.MOV?dl=0
Option 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7eg0w9pk2an9 ... 0.MOV?dl=0

Just an 80s 'Nice Price' re-issue but I should really get an original pressing what with this being one of my favourite albums in my late teens, just when I was discovering vinyl and 20 years of wonderful rock/pop music history instead of just listening to REM and The Cure. Free are not really underrated but don't get the attention they deserve, imo. For example, never see many programmes on them.

PS Beck will know the topic but not which one is which :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

All hands on deck! We need as many answers as possible.

A way of answering would be discribing what one hear in each clip maybe not even finding a preferred one!

I prefer option 1 (though slightly missing the more open top on option 2).

P.S. I just love how your system grooves Charlie1!
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Beck. Sorry to keep banging on, but I'm getting the occasional flashback of 12-15 years or so ago when I still had an Exposure XV amp, prior to going Linn Majik Kontrol / 6100. There's a vitality and boogie (or something similar I can't put my finger on) that seems reminiscent of that earlier system. My guess is that even long time Naim and Exposure owners would enjoy the Tundra.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Option 2 for me. Option 1’s high frequencies in particular sound discordant.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m loving your T2.5, Charlie1!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote:Option 2 for me. Option 1’s high frequencies in particular sound discordant.
I hear the discordance but even more there is just a better flow and interplay between the musicians on clip 2.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Option 1 is lid-on and option 2 is lid-off.

I too prefer the sound of option 2, especially the top-end, like everyone else.

Musically, I enjoy both but for different reasons. I feel 2 is a bit more tuneful and flows better. It's easier to follow a melody and overall sounds slightly more pitch accurate. With 1, I hear a tighter band playing together, which is also satisfying, but in a different way. If I follow one instrument and then expand my awareness to keep track of a 2nd or 3rd, then this process is easier and they seem more in-sync with one another. So, with the Free song (and the Daft Punk song), I prefer 1, but this is a choice that might shift for me, depending on the style of music.

90% of my listening is with lid-on anyway, just to keep the dust off, so it's only a bit of fun and always interesting to put a spot light at those rare times when we have different options. I think comparisons like this one help me not get too fixated with right vs wrong and leave the door open for other music lovers, as opposed to audiophiles, to experience music in a slightly different way to myself.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2018-08-19 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

+1 Good well thought through answer. I agree.

I will try listening more with lid on but most of the time I listen with it off.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Closing my analog versus digitally remastered vinyl compare Charlie1 and Thomas both picked the analog copy. I am just glad that I can now also enjoy my digitally recorded/remastered vinyl.

Closing my Ekos setup hunt everything has come out on top. I have lost nothing but gained even more. More focus and togetherness. The slightly missed “romance” is back and I am happy! :-)

Just listening to some 45 rpm that has improved too.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote:I’m loving your T2.5, Charlie1!
Cool!
Fredrik's products keep getting better and better :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:Closing my Ekos setup hunt everything has come out on top. I have lost nothing but gained even more. More focus and togetherness. The slightly missed “romance” is back and I am happy! :-)
Great, win/win then.
"romance" is an interesting word. Like anything we write, I might think I know what you mean, but without being in the same room, it's hard to know for sure.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:
beck wrote:Closing my Ekos setup hunt everything has come out on top. I have lost nothing but gained even more. More focus and togetherness. The slightly missed “romance” is back and I am happy! :-)
Great, win/win then.
"romance" is an interesting word. Like anything we write, I might think I know what you mean, but without being in the same room, it's hard to know for sure.
Yes, not very precise but it just covers that I can fall in love with the music. When gaining precision one can end up with a “cold” sound that leaves me cold! :-) It is all about the music.

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5adji7m1bf5wu ... 0.mov?dl=0

After: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p58h4kh567fmi ... 0.mov?dl=0

Aarhh.......words are never enough and though your system is clearly better than mine and not deliberately this is becoming kind of a Lennon/McCartney competition (in a good way though)! ;-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:"romance" is an interesting word. Like anything we write, I might think I know what you mean, but without being in the same room, it's hard to know for sure.
Yes, not very precise but it just covers that I can fall in love with the music. When gaining precision one can end up with a “cold” sound that leaves me cold! :-) It is all about the music.

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5adji7m1bf5wu ... 0.mov?dl=0

After: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p58h4kh567fmi ... 0.mov?dl=0

Aarhh.......words are never enough and though your system is clearly better than mine and not deliberately this is becoming kind of a Lennon/McCartney competition (in a good way though)! ;-)
It did laugh when I first saw your clips earlier :)

Thanks for the description and the clips say it all - the old setup was more laid back, but I definitely prefer the newer setup and find it easier to follow. Coincidentally, it's a similar improvement to the T2.2 to 2.5 upgrade, to my ears anyway.

I only mentioned "romance' cos it's interesting how we pick certain words that kind of fit our experience, but of course, they might mean something quite different to someone else.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2018-08-19 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercice

Post by beck »

And right you are! The clips say it all. :-)

Now, I am walking in a minefield here but as this is so important to me I have to do it!

Standing at a crossroad I have to choose my way forward.

What if I am really only doing digitally recorded/remastered vinyl a favour here?

What if trying to bridge the analog and the digital world actually takes something away from the analog signal that cannot be retrived in the above setup again recognising the two worlds as being ultimately incompatible......

I like the “fatter” laid back sound from my first “Blue” clip. I find it more fulfilling in some ways.

If this should be the end of my search in the hifi world it would ultimately make it nessesary for me to have different setups for analog and digital recordings!

Never a resting moment and always with this nagging feeling...........

My feeling at this moment is that ultimately analog and digital have different takes on what they “hear” in the recording proces and that they each work best at slightly different “frequences”.

So to get the best out of my record collection I would have to be able to change the “dial” when listening to the “Radio” to get the best possible message through.
Playing cd’s…………
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

The T2.2 vs T2.5 comparison was very fascinating! Huge difference IMHO.