Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by ThomasOK »

Yep, the iPhone 7 does appear to pick up more music than the 4S. Nice track.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the comments Beck & Tom.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I had promised to stay away but cannot. My systems sound has changes a lot since I started posting and now I think it is time for another showdown between my linn black interconnects and my linn silver interconnects.

I think you are going to find this interesting!

Linn black: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nevkk61o9mx5b ... 5.mov?dl=0

Linn silver: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7snqiaqayprz ... 3.mov?dl=0
Playing cd’s…………
jewa

Post by jewa »

Silver is better!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

jewa wrote:Silver is better!
Thank you jewa for listening. I will make some comments in a day or two. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Wow! Are those both at the same volume level? The Silvers are indeed superior IMHO. Much more dynamic, it is easier to hear the notes and the playing of the bass, the voice comes through more in tune and with more emotion, the synth, the drums - everything is more powerful and more enjoyable. What do you think beck?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote:Wow! Are those both at the same volume level? The Silvers are indeed superior IMHO. Much more dynamic, it is easier to hear the notes and the playing of the bass, the voice comes through more in tune and with more emotion, the synth, the drums - everything is more powerful and more enjoyable. What do you think beck?
Both clips recorded at full blast.

I think that your ears are in contact with a clever brain. :-) I will though make some comments later.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This comparison between my linn black interconnects and my linn silver interconnects is THE MOST INTERESTING COMPARISON I have ever done.
There is no doubt that my linn silvers are the best on almost every level. I agree with jewa and ThomasOK. Listening to the clips leave no doubt.
Why is it then that at the end of the day I would choose my linn black interconnects to use together with my system?

Sitting in front of my system listening to it using my silvers I fall in love with the pinpoint accurate sounds coming from my speakers though I miss something in the midrange that my blacks deliver.

When listening to my system using my blacks I forget the sound and fall in love with the music. It is as if the sound my blacks deliver takes a small step back and makes room for the music where the silvers try too hard.
I guess it has to do with the difference in the none verbal information (physical feeling) these interconnects deliver to the listener too. In this area my blacks feel so natural while my silvers feel somewhat uneven.

Charlie1 wrote that he always found the sound from my system balanced and listeneble. I think he got it right. Part of it is because of my linn black interconnects.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer the Silvers at approx 1min where they seem easier to follow the lead guitar tune. I sometimes preferred the blacks at approx 1.39 when the beat kicks in and they seemed more fun / groovy, but ended up liking the Silvers a bit more the last couple of listens. Maybe I'd have changed back again if I'd carried on listening. If I get time tomorrow then I would like to download the files and listen again - just cos I'd like to come to a decision one way or the other.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

New advancement to my systems sound points in the direction that the better my system gets the more in favour of my silvers it turns.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I downloaded the clips and much prefer the Silvers around 1min. I prefer them elsewhere too. The Blacks somehow smudge things together more but do so in an appealing way - maybe that worked better for me around 1m 30s last night when listening to a poorer quality stream.

Why not try and source the old 'better' Silvers - they might give you the best of both worlds. They are very nice although might take you a while to track down a pair.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:I downloaded the clips and much prefer the Silvers around 1min. I prefer them elsewhere too. The Blacks somehow smudge things together more but do so in an appealing way - maybe that worked better for me around 1m 30s last night when listening to a poorer quality stream.

Why not try and source the old 'better' Silvers - they might give you the best of both worlds. They are very nice.

That is the ones I have got! Now I will end up like the rest of you all with the same kind of gear! :-) Thats no fun at all. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

beck wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:I downloaded the clips and much prefer the Silvers around 1min. I prefer them elsewhere too. The Blacks somehow smudge things together more but do so in an appealing way - maybe that worked better for me around 1m 30s last night when listening to a poorer quality stream.

Why not try and source the old 'better' Silvers - they might give you the best of both worlds. They are very nice.

That is the ones I have got! Now I will end up like the rest of you all with the same kind of gear! :-) Thats no fun at all. :-)
No, black it is. As long I keep my system as it is the silvers show a ever so slight tendency to detach the timing of the bass from the rest of the music. With the blacks everything fits. So less fidelity but more music.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Fair enough Beck. Sounds like a good reason to keep them and you're the one in best position to know.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I had another listen this morning to the downloaded clips. I do hear something around 1m30s that sounds more integrated on the blacks. Think I stand by the lead guitar being easier to follow on the Silvers around 1min. Interesting one.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:I had another listen this morning to the downloaded clips. I do hear something around 1m30s that sounds more integrated on the blacks. Think I stand by the lead guitar being easier to follow on the Silvers around 1min. Interesting one.

It is difficult via these clips but try a steady count to 4 (in your head) that lasts 1 low and one high "sirene" note from the start. Keep counting until the synth bass comes in (4 times 4 beats from the start) and feel how it fits the generel beat you uphold with your counting. The silvers are dragging slightly in the bass region not upholding the generel beat.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Maybe tweak the speaker position to tune to the Silvers? (if that would help?)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

ThomasOK wrote:Wow! Are those both at the same volume level? The Silvers are indeed superior IMHO. Much more dynamic, it is easier to hear the notes and the playing of the bass, the voice comes through more in tune and with more emotion, the synth, the drums - everything is more powerful and more enjoyable. What do you think beck?

Agree with most of above but I prefer Blacks here- more enjoyable and to mind therefore more musical.

Ideally need to visit beck and listen in real life with this one.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote:

Agree with most of above but I prefer Blacks here- more enjoyable and to mind therefore more musical.

Ideally need to visit beck and listen in real life with this one.
Interestingly, I was about to write almost the exact same thing earlier today. But before I posted it, I got interrupted by a shipment arriving.

There is something very right about the black clip. I dig the song more, although it sounds worse in most ways. As I've said before: Those Silver interconnects of yours are probably not a great pair.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you all for listening and your input. It is always good to get "a second opinion" from the forum. I can easily live with my blacks. They do not leave me wanting and that is something to cherish.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:Maybe tweak the speaker position to tune to the Silvers? (if that would help?)
What about this Beck? It might explain the unusual situation where the Silvers are not best in all ways.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:Maybe tweak the speaker position to tune to the Silvers? (if that would help?)
What about this Beck? It might explain the unusual situation where the Silvers are not best in all ways.
I do not think it would help but maybe Lejonklou knows more about that. I am not completely giving up on my silvers but letting them rest for now.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

beck wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:
I do not think it would help but maybe Lejonklou knows more...
Curious to know thoughts on the idea myself, whether speaker positioning would be expected to help at all or if the sense is that there's something more fundamental 'wrong' with the your Silvers, beck. I do agree that the sound of the Silver was better but the Blacks were more musical... Has me wondering / worried about my Silvers, and considering digging out my Blacks...
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I did a funny experiment using both blacks and silvers in parallel between my linto and my lk100. It did sound like a mix of the two interconnects and did not solve anything but funny test non the less! :-)

Talk about scotch blend!
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

beck wrote:I did a funny experiment using both blacks and silvers in parallel between my linto and my lk100. It did sound like a mix of the two interconnects and did not solve anything but funny test non the less! :-)
Talk about scotch blend!
You go directly from the Linto to the LK100?
How do you change volume?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677