Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by beck »

Just lovely. Thank you and happy holidays to you too! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: As there have been requests for more JBL recordings this will also add one to the group, I think the first one with the matching sub included.
Very nice set-up, Thomas.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote:Well, time for me to kill a few birds with one stone. I haven't posted anything on this thread for a while (nor have I had time to listen to the recent posts and comment) but I thought I would post something I hope you find interesting, and maybe even delightful. As there have been requests for more JBL recordings this will also add one to the group, I think the first one with the matching sub included. Plus it shows my home system fully configured for now (the crossover for the sub may change) so this is a recording of the 3677s with the 4645C sub all driven by Tundra Mono 2.2A Tarandus amps and the Sagatun Mono 1.3 Tarandus preamps and my fully Klimax LP12 on NOKTable with Harmoni racks and Dahlquist DQ-LP1 crossover.

This video was taken in the evening with my new Canon EOS 80D camera which boosted the light level so it is a bit grainy. This is my first clip using this camera which I mounted on a tripod. This has the big advantage of making it very difficult for me to block a mic with my thumb (which has messed up more than one clip I have done in the past). It seems to sound good to me and I plan to use it for future clips. Finally, this is a complete track (over 5 minutes) from my favorite Christmas album so it is also a Happy Holidays track for you all! I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ylb5j9k33jj1 ... 3.MP4?dl=0

A little note: our dog, Bella, decided to come in the room and listen with me after the track started. While she cleverly skirted the Christmas tree without getting in the picture frame, you can hear her climbing up on her ottoman and the clinking collar at the beginning. So it is not the system revealing something you've ever heard on this record before. ;-)
There's a lot of stuff between you and the system there Thomas. Surely that's not good for the music?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Thomas! Sounds very nice!
beck wrote:My last clips in 2016 and my final clips in here are showing (or not) what small changes in pitch relation sounds like. So no significant change in flow but my best setup to date getting me very close to reaching my goal set half a year ago. Which clip do you prefer (if any)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40f9qe1r3scfa ... 3.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/925nf2cjr6ufa ... 5.mov?dl=0
These two feel a bit odd as they are so different sound wise. I can't enjoy the second clip because the bass is so out of tune, it's almost as if each note wobbles.

I thought there might be something wrong with my phone or dropbox, so I tried them several times. But each time they sounded the same.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:Thank you Thomas! Sounds very nice!
beck wrote:My last clips in 2016 and my final clips in here are showing (or not) what small changes in pitch relation sounds like. So no significant change in flow but my best setup to date getting me very close to reaching my goal set half a year ago. Which clip do you prefer (if any)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40f9qe1r3scfa ... 3.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/925nf2cjr6ufa ... 5.mov?dl=0
These two feel a bit odd as they are so different sound wise. I can't enjoy the second clip because the bass is so out of tune, it's almost as if each note wobbles.

I thought there might be something wrong with my phone or dropbox, so I tried them several times. But each time they sounded the same.
Thank you for the response. Yes I have given up on using the clips to show anything about this area of the sound from my system. That is not what they are best at. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

So I guess the second clip is what you consider better?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

At the time I thought so but I have moved on. I had hoped to nail it but had not succeded fully. It seems so simple. Put a finger in one ear and hum along with the tune or create a second line of tones in harmony with what you hear from your system. If it is dead easy to do then your system is producing music "in tune". If not there is something wrong or?

To cut it to the bone I want my system to make my head nod and I want to be able to sing along in tune without making an effort. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It would be fun to hear your system live one day, beck. And to see and hear what it is that you do.

Do you tweak alone or do you have someone to help you? It's often much easier if you're two or more, provided everyone has a good idea of what musicality is about.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you for the good advice and thank you for taking me somewhat seriously:-) So I will backtrack to this setup and see what the future brings. Link removed. I am better at listening to other peoples clips than producing them myself. That I will do in the future.

An artist has to end the performance with a bow. So my system and I will wish you all a Happy New Year! It has been so much fun for me. :-)

A deep bow with a fitting piece of music from my little system.

Link removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-01-07 12:26, edited 3 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

maffe wrote:Just for the fun of it I bought a IKEA cutting board today just to try under my LP12 :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3jkdve23art3 ... 1.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m1u44glyg4yy ... 1.mp4?dl=0
Same clip now with TM2 "Tarandus" :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjq6uux6m03mn ... 1.mp4?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I really like your clips maffe and when comparing to your original first clips it is easy to hear the improvement.
I like to hear some more different music from your system so just go for it. It is nice to hear the Adikt for a change.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote: I like to hear some more different music from your system so just go for it. It is nice to hear the Adikt for a change.
Thats not impossible to arrange :)
Just took the same clip since it was the only I had pre-Tarandus
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

You misunderstand me. I like to hear more from your system as it is now. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote:You misunderstand me. I like to hear more from your system as it is now. :-)
Any wishes of genre?
Clips recorded with Sony a7 and a voigtländer lens, converted and clipped down using "4Videosoft Free Video Converter"

Yesterday I played 16 albums and out those it was 6 double LP´s, so 22 LP´s under the Adikt :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

One of my early posts about half a year ago or more in here was four clips with some of my favorite music. I like most music so you can pick a few of your favorites! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Hope you have a Prozac prescription close by :P

Shot yesterday after the film clip:
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote:<snip> I like most music so you can pick a few of your favorites! :-)
Managed to make on little longer clip today, before our cat decided that he was mor important :P
This is from is from one of the albums thats most important to me.

https://videos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VF4 ... aster.m3u8
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Definately something I have never heard before. What is it?

This clip and a few more together with a description of your system could be posted in the "Me and my system" category. It would be great for all in here to look at and listen to.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote:Definately something I have never heard before. What is it?
It´s Joy Division - New dawn fades from the record Unknown Pleasures.

Might post something in "Me and my system", just need to get my head around to do it :P
hoolamonster

Post by hoolamonster »

maffe wrote:
beck wrote:Definately something I have never heard before. What is it?
It´s Joy Division - New dawn fades from the record Unknown Pleasures.

Might post something in "Me and my system", just need to get my head around to do it :P
Awesome song!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

One of my favourite albums. Discovered during my first year at Uni.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Using AKG K240 studio headphones it is clear that the new iphone makes a better recording. So beautiful and lovely. With the AKG I can clearly hear your system and it sounds lovely. I can fall in love with that voice. Great recording. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

My friend has an APP that by "hearing" your clip tells me it is London Grammar with Waisting My Young Years from the record If You Wait. The APP is called Soundhound. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

You got it. It's a really good album too, if you're into that type of music.