Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by beck »

I agree with tokenbrit. Use it in the kitchen. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Already chopped onions on it, just a few min after posting the video-clips :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

maffe wrote:Already chopped onions on it, just a few min after posting the video-clips :)
Definitely the best thing you can do with it (based on those clips).

I bought two variants and my wife is pleased with both :)

Hey, at least we tried.

I also made some improvised feet for the boards but that didn't change the result.

Classy looking system by the way.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Charlie1 wrote: Definitely the best thing you can do with it (based on those clips).
-Darling have you seen our big cutting board, can´t find it?
*Music playing loud*
-No, I have no idea hunny? Better order pizza, share that bottle of red and listen to music :P
Charlie1 wrote:Classy looking system by the way.
Thx!
Trying to keep it minimalistic looking, living in a small apartment so no "man cave" look.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

maffe wrote:
Charlie1 wrote: Definitely the best thing you can do with it (based on those clips).
-Darling have you seen our big cutting board, can´t find it?
*Music playing loud*
-No, I have no idea hunny? Better order pizza, share that bottle of red and listen to music :P
Charlie1 wrote:Classy looking system by the way.
Thx!
Trying to keep it minimalistic looking, living in a small apartment so no "man cave" look.
Forgot to say welcome! It is a plessure to get something new to listen to and my question is what does your system consist of?
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Go back and listen again to Maffe's clips. Am I the only one who hear the clips sounding better when listening to them from tokenbrit's citation??? ".......clip......"

To me it sounds more in tune and less "schrill". Goes for other clips in citation too when I listen to them from my ipad speakers.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:Go back and listen again to Maffe's clips. Am I the only one who hear the clips sounding better when listening to them from tokenbrit's citation??? ".......clip......"

To me it sounds more in tune and less "schrill". Goes for other clips in citation too when I listen to them from my ipad speakers.
I've downloaded them and re-listened. I do think that I'm not the most reliable witness your honour, and prone to misjudgement. However, after several listens I still think the clip with the chopping board seems a bit strained and strung out to me - a bit like when then network-over-mains units are switched on in our house, but not that bad. There is perhaps something more impressive about the chopping board clip but suspect there's more chance of it getting on my nerves after a while.

It was harder this time around :( Maybe I'm having a bad day. I've already listened to Linntek's clips and they sounded all the same! Might have to download those too.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyway we can download them? They sound the same on this laptop. Sorry. If you put a gun against my head then I'd go for clip 3 but it's the slimmest hunch. There's probably some massive difference between them but for some reason I'm just not getting it tonight.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Maybe a little info on my clips. It is a recording from my Adikt. Tracking force is between 1.5g and 2.5g. Unfortunately I got the clips mixed up so I can't tell which numbers relate to what clip.

Recorded like this:

DS-I optical out (RAW) to a MacMini. Audacity software recorded in 96kHz/24bit. Saved in MP3/320kbps.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Linntek wrote:Unfortunately I got the clips mixed up so I can't tell which numbers relate to what clip.
Ah, this is gonna be a useful test then :)
Would the time stamps or file sizes help you?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Nope. I just started a recording and started at 1.5g - played 25 sec - added some force - played 25 sec and so on.
Then I cut the 20 sec pieces and pasted them. Then I saved them individually - then they got mixed up in the process. I'll make new recordings with can be identified.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I vote for 175!

I didn't listen beyond 200, as that was so much worse. The bass player got replaced by a sloppy dude.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I agree. At 1.75 the bass becomes a part of the music instead of working against it.

(From the first clips I guess that clip2 is 1.75 :-))
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:Go back and listen again to Maffe's clips. Am I the only one who hear the clips sounding better when listening to them from tokenbrit's citation
I think you might be right after all. Perhaps someone else can let us know what they think.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Christmas special: Try and follow the pitch of the bass guitar at the beginning of the recordings (played on the added very low B-string). What setup of the system does the best job?

Links removed
Last edited by beck on 2016-12-31 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

beck wrote:Christmas special: Try and follow the pitch of the bass guitar at the beginning of the recordings (played on the added very low B-string). What setup of the system does the best job?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e92qqtt75c47l ... 2.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzmp1n7q6amns ... 2.mov?dl=0
I am not sure about the 'pitch of the bass guitar', but there was only one clip that made sense to me; that I enjoyed listening to with appreciation for the bass guitar together with the other instruments... Since that's not what you were asking for, I'll refrain from saying which to allow others to play along.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

tokenbrit wrote:
beck wrote:Christmas special: Try and follow the pitch of the bass guitar at the beginning of the recordings (played on the added very low B-string). What setup of the system does the best job?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e92qqtt75c47l ... 2.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzmp1n7q6amns ... 2.mov?dl=0
I am not sure about the 'pitch of the bass guitar', but there was only one clip that made sense to me; that I enjoyed listening to with appreciation for the bass guitar together with the other instruments... Since that's not what you were asking for, I'll refrain from saying which to allow others to play along.
Forget about pitch and just make your comment about which clip you like. :-) I am sure we are listening for the same thing.
As you state above it is all about where it all comes together in a meaningful way.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

2nd one. I re-downloaded them from your quote given your observation that reposting makes the clips sound better... They seemed a little closer second time, but I still prefer the 2nd clip over the first.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I will wait with my input but say that I agree with you about in and outside of "...." seem different and that differences between clips seem to become smaller when taken from inside "....". So when listening for differences it might be best to use the clips the normal way! :-)

And none of the clips here sound the way they do on my ipad and the clips on my ipad is nowhere near what I hear in my room but that is the name of the game. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, I find no significant differences in quality.

There's more bass in the first clip, less in the second. It's easier to follow the second, but I'm not sure it's any better.

Sorry, I may be tired. I just decided it's Christmas!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:Sorry, I find no significant differences in quality.

There's more bass in the first clip, less in the second. It's easier to follow the second, but I'm not sure it's any better.

Sorry, I may be tired. I just decided it's Christmas!
Last clip is from my present setup. I agree with Tokenbrit that the second is better but in a subtle way (like when Charlie1 tested old versus new powercords). Lets see how long I can avoid changing it!

A merry christmas to you and all the rest in here.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

My last clips in 2016 and my final clips in here are showing (or not) what small changes in pitch relation sounds like. So no significant change in flow but my best setup to date getting me very close to reaching my goal set half a year ago. Which clip do you prefer (if any)?

Links removed
Last edited by beck on 2016-12-31 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, time for me to kill a few birds with one stone. I haven't posted anything on this thread for a while (nor have I had time to listen to the recent posts and comment) but I thought I would post something I hope you find interesting, and maybe even delightful. As there have been requests for more JBL recordings this will also add one to the group, I think the first one with the matching sub included. Plus it shows my home system fully configured for now (the crossover for the sub may change) so this is a recording of the 3677s with the 4645C sub all driven by Tundra Mono 2.2A Tarandus amps and the Sagatun Mono 1.3 Tarandus preamps and my fully Klimax LP12 on NOKTable with Harmoni racks and Dahlquist DQ-LP1 crossover.

This video was taken in the evening with my new Canon EOS 80D camera which boosted the light level so it is a bit grainy. This is my first clip using this camera which I mounted on a tripod. This has the big advantage of making it very difficult for me to block a mic with my thumb (which has messed up more than one clip I have done in the past). It seems to sound good to me and I plan to use it for future clips. Finally, this is a complete track (over 5 minutes) from my favorite Christmas album so it is also a Happy Holidays track for you all! I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ylb5j9k33jj1 ... 3.MP4?dl=0

A little note: our dog, Bella, decided to come in the room and listen with me after the track started. While she cleverly skirted the Christmas tree without getting in the picture frame, you can hear her climbing up on her ottoman and the clinking collar at the beginning. So it is not the system revealing something you've ever heard on this record before. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.