LP12 Motor

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Mikeg

LP12 Motor

Post by Mikeg »

Hi

My 1982 LP12 has had what I thought were the important upgrades, with the exception of the current crop, Keel etc. One thing I haven’t changed is the motor because it seems to be working fine, speed is spot on, no noise and no vibration can be felt when in operation (using the tips of my fingers).

However after reading a few comments about the improved sound quality of new motors I looked at the Linn manual, which confirmed there had been at least two upgrades to the motor, which improved the sound. Since I have also heard the benefits of reduced motor vibration (bolt mod, TAPS variable output, motor screws ‘snug’ etc) I am now wondering whether a new motor would be a worthwhile upgrade or is it best to leave well alone.

Thanks

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It doesn't seem like anyone here knows the answer to your question, Mikeg... :(

The new motors are based on the same design, so it's details that differ. My guess is that a change could be beneficial, BUT I have measured the performance of several LP12 motors and they have a quite noticeable variation in rotational accuracy in between different species. This means that it might boil down to the precision of the individual motor, rather than new versus old.

In any case, I think the new ones are most likely a bit better (at least on average) than the old ones. I have changed some motors, but not made any proper evaluation as I haven't fully adjusted the LP12 before and after the change.