Totem Dreamcatchers

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Flatcoat

Totem Dreamcatchers

Post by Flatcoat »

Recently, I have actually been buying some speakers to try with my systems. These have incuded Ninkas and Keltiks - I have an Akurate Exakt 10 channel box which with the Tundra Stereo amps I also have, I can try a lot of combinations.

I had read reviews of the Totem Dreamcatchers (Stereophile) which were very favourable and briefly listened to a set a couple years ago. So when a pair appeared on Ebay, I went for them and got them for £ 255. They are one of the best purchases I have ever made. I am using them with a Majik DSi (internal power amp off) and driven by a Tundra Stereo 1.2 power amp. They sound absolutely phenomenal. You can not believe the sound they are producing. I am listening to the Communards - Don't leave me this way and can not move on from repeating the track at present for the pleasure it is giving !

I can honestly say they are one of the best speakers I have heard for the pure pleasure they are giving. What is more remarkable is that at present they are sitting on top of my Ninkas in my office - so not exactly optimised for best performance. I should also mention that the dimensions are: 11.3" (287mm) H by 5.1" (130mm) W by 7.1" (180mm).

I should also say that a major reason for how good they sound is the Tundra Stereo 1.2 amp I am using which is driving them effortlessly. I am gradually increasing the volume on the DSi and at present it is playing at 80 with no problem !
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Totem Dreamcatchers

Post by lejonklou »

Flatcoat wrote:I am listening to the Communards - Don't leave me this way and can not move on from repeating the track at present for the pleasure it is giving !
I love that feeling!

Totem Dreamcatchers? Not sure if I've listened to them. Chris @ Hidden Systems - have you played them to me?
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

I heard them at Anthony's a couple of years ago and was very impressed. Great little pair of speakers. If I didn't already have 109s for the library then I might well have bought a pair.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Frederik you were there at Anthony's for the release of Tundra Mono 1s if I remember correctly.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

macrotech2 wrote:Frederik you were there at Anthony's for the release of Tundra Mono 1s if I remember correctly.
Ah! The small ones he placed on top of a pair of 242's? They were pretty good!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote:
macrotech2 wrote:Frederik you were there at Anthony's for the release of Tundra Mono 1s if I remember correctly.
Ah! The small ones he placed on top of a pair of 242's? They were pretty good!
Yep, they were the ones.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I am helping a mate set up his first streaming hifi. In fact his first decent system.
I was able to get a Sneaky and some Dreamcatchers from Chris Fuller at Hidden hifi - the guy who sold me my Tundra 2.

Well the parcels have come to my house as my mate is away, and I could not resist the temptation to check out the Dreamcatchers on my own system which consists of a Melco, Linn ADS/2, Tundra 2 and Spendor A6s. (with of course the mandatory 2.48m of old style "K200.") Yes, I know I need a pre-amp.....

My God! Not even properly run in, the Dreamcatchers, situated on the top of my A6s do some things that my speakers do not. Bounces along so tunefully with an impressive dynamic range. I got my wife to listen, she did not realise I had switched speakers...

So firmly recommended from sunny and warm downtown York. Thanks for the recommendation Chris.

Donuk
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

In what size room(s) are you listening to the Dreamcatchers? I listened to the Element Embers, but wasn't impressed. Admittedly that was in a larger room at a 'box mover' audio outlet, and not with Linn or Lejonklou electronics, so just wondering how much difference the room & set up make to mini Totems...
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

About 3.5 m by 4.5m is the size of my room
Not ever going to be ear-bleeders or disco boxes, but very musical and dynamic.
Donuk sunny downtown York
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

donuk wrote:I am helping a mate set up his first streaming hifi. In fact his first decent system.
I was able to get a Sneaky and some Dreamcatchers from Chris Fuller at Hidden hifi - the guy who sold me my Tundra 2.

Donuk
Hi Don from Chris at HiddenSystems aka. Hidden HiFi - I've been called worst J.

Totem Dreamcatchers are a great design and show up the source. They have metal tweeters but on good hifi #lejonklou you do get an amazing sound for the £599 retail UK. I played their smaller (very small) Kin's but they like a sub IMHO.

Tokenbrit mentioned not liking the Embers - they use Torrent drive units that have a cross over point much higher so the mid range can seem softer compared with say a 3k array of Linn. The Embers use the Arro tweeter and work well in small/medium rooms. Before a HiFi dealer I used Model One Signatures for 15 yrs which are now discontinued - they were incredible for their size.
dreamcatcher-hero-mahogany@2x-1.png
dreamcatcher-hero-cherry@2x-1.png
dreamcatcher-hero-black-ash@2x-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos