Speaker cable question

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Speaker cable question

Post by beck »

As I prefer multi-wire to single-wire would 2.48m 3xK200 be better than getting K600 for my Espeks?
Last edited by beck on 2016-02-23 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Speaker cable question

Post by rowlandhills »

Consensus on here is that new K200 is not as good as the old "K200" made from half of a K400. I would expect that a K600 would beat 3xK200 on that basis.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you for the answer. I was thinking of old K200 if I could get my hands on some or has that speaker cable never existed?
Maybe I should make my K400 into two single-wire cables and ad a third made of one K400 cable I buy combining them into a "K600"?
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Didn't you just find that splitting your K400 was less musical in your system? If so then the obvious answer is to get some K600.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Yes, but that was a result of splitting the two positives from the two negatives. If I keep each set of positive/negative together is it then better with three seperated cables instead of the one K600 cable.
Playing cd’s…………
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

There's no such thing as "old K200" unless people manually split K400.

K600 went out of production a while ago, so it's easier to get three lengths of K400 and split one to use as the extra pair if you need three channels. I'm not sure I see any benefit in choosing to split you K400 such that you end up with 3 separate cables.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ok, thank you.
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

beck wrote:Yes, but that was a result of splitting the two positives from the two negatives. If I keep each set of positive/negative together is it then better with three seperated cables instead of the one K600 cable.
What do you mean by "splitting the two positives from the two negatives"? How did you do this?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote:
beck wrote:Yes, but that was a result of splitting the two positives from the two negatives. If I keep each set of positive/negative together is it then better with three seperated cables instead of the one K600 cable.
What do you mean by "splitting the two positives from the two negatives"? How did you do this?
I didn't quite get that either. I thought you split the two sides of K400 as you would in making the "K200" Fredrik, I and others have made. To split the positive from the negative you would have to remove all the black insulation and untwist the two wires. Unless you are wiring things differently than usual.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Since you posted the photos while I was posting my reply I now see what you mean. That is actually not the recommended way to connect up K400. The two conductors with the stripes (black with red stripe and black with white stripe) would normally be connected together as the positive for your biwire and the two all black conductors would be connected together as the negative. I'm not sure how the way you have them wired up would perform but it would certainly be different.
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you for the answer. My cables are dealer made so I have never thought about it!
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

We tried that wiring scheme way back when K400 first arrived.

It sounds much worse than the correct wiring, where each pair of one positive and one negative conductor is twisted close together.

If you haven't already, try single wire with two 2.48 m K200 (that's a K400 split down the middle), terminated by Linn Knekt bananas (which sound much better than the ones in your picture and will make a bigger difference than the cable itself). I will go so far as to say that if that doesn't sound better than your current wiring, there are other problems with the system which need to be fixed. The bad wiring scheme sounds thick and will cover up problems.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Very interesting! I like the sound I get from my system so some investigation has to take place in the near future. Regards
Playing cd’s…………