Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

OPPO WITH LEJONKLOU

Post by u252agz »

Replaced my aging Samsung Blue Ray Player with an OPPO 103 D

Very impressive.

Sounds much much better through the Yamaha AV amp via 10 m Vivanka interconnects, Sagatun ( unity gain) and Tundras.

I then tried it through its analogue outputs directly to Sagatun input 3 via 9 metre Blacks and wow - shockingly good for its price point.

Its also very well built and a doddle to install with automatic connection to the network with a wireless adaptor/ethernet.

Amazingly it detected my NAS drive and can play my digital library - even better quality than when using the Disc transport. Reminds me of when the KDS was temporaly replaced with my sneaky and the updated Tundra Mono 2s had just arrived.

I have not compared the visual/surround sound capabilities as to be honest the Samsung was pretty good for that and I am not sure my set up is really optimized for valid comparisions.

Another plus is that Netflix/ Youtube etc etc all work , almost as well as the apple TV - which to date was the only device which I could tolerate with these apps.

Build quality is excellent - right down to packaging and supply of everything from hdmi cable to usb extension adaptor to wireless adaptor and comprehesive instruction manual.

So all in all - I am impressed and can wholeheartedly recommend the Oppo.

If I had known it was so good - I would have got one years ago.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Robert Lake

Re: OPPO WITH LEJONKLOU

Post by Robert Lake »

Yes, the Oppo 103 is really good. Picture quality is great, it has an excellent movie streamer and good streamer for music. For streaming movies, playing DVDs and Blurays it is highly recommendable for its price. The movie sound is great.

However, I did find that the Oppo could not play some mkv files. Freeware mkv making programs worked, the one I could have paid for didn't work.

The difference between a Unidisk 1.1 and a Movie 05 in terms of picture quality is clear. The picture quality from a DVD is much more natural and detailed and the black stays black. But, I could also describe it with the following example. Simply Red at the Royal Albert Hall on DVD. Oppo gives a very detailed clean picture that is also a bit sterile. Compared with the Unidisk 1.1, the colors and the spotlights on the Unidisk are warmer. Look at the spotlight behind Micheal Hucknall head. It gives his red hair a yellow aura lika that of an angel. After watching the concert I think he has the voice of an angel. He can really sing. Hence, you can say that the Unidisk enhances the experience of watching the concert.

Maybee some people like a accurate documentary of the concert and a natural picture. I prefer to imagine that I am at the concert. I want an total emotional experience from watching music DVDs, which I cannot get from listing to the soundtrack only. For an ordinary movie my preferences are different. Then I accept that the director has clear objective with everything and that I would like to see the movie as the director meant it to be seen. Then the Oppo has the edge.

What about the music? The Oppo is good, I could live with it. But, playing for CDs it is not very good, for streaming the Sneaky is better. For music DVDs both the Unidisk and the Movie are more fun to listen to. They bring out that extra magic to the performance.

I have also tried with Blurays in the Oppo and taken out digital sound to my Akurate Kontrol 0/D. The verdict is the same, good but not fantastic when have heard and watched the concert on a Unidisk 1.1, or a Movie for that matter.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

... And the Oppo 105D sounds even better. There is now much anticipation for the next range of 4K players, but that will be a while yet.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Robert

I have had ( and still occasionally use in the other room) a Classik Movie and agree it is very good for DVDs and quite listenable for CDs - no experience with the Unidisk however.

The Video part of the oppo on the TV/projector seems quite good -much better than the Samsung BRP, but I can't really compare with the classik movie due to completely different set ups.

Macrotech

Although the Oppo sounds good as a streamer with Sagatun/Tundras from its analogue output, I can't see myself using this with the KDS/2 accessing the same digital library.

For AV use, I was told the Oppo 103 and 105 were similar- the audio processing for both being done in the AV amp? . I dont really understand the technology, but am happy with the 103s video output.

All in all , I think the Oppo is a nice piece of kit - good quality for AV/ Audio, remarkably versatile , up to date and great value for money.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

u252agz wrote: For AV use, I was told the Oppo 103 and 105 were similar- the audio processing for both being done in the AV amp?
Yes, if you use HDMI as output from Oppo.
Using analogue output, they sound different. 105 a lot more HIFI but marginally less musical.
But the 105 can be tweaked by tune demmin' all settings. A good bit better. Also I urge all of you to compare the different audio tracks. They all sound different.
It's all about musical understanding!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

ML

Which parameters can one tweak and how.

Is this only possible with the 105?

Also, do you mean that the difference between the two oppos, varies with the musical track?

Out of the two, Which do you prefer for music, using analogue out and optimised settings?

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Robert Lake wrote:The difference between a Unidisk 1.1 and a Movie 05 in terms of picture quality is clear. The picture quality from a DVD is much more natural and detailed and the black stays black. But, I could also describe it with the following example. Simply Red at the Royal Albert Hall on DVD. Oppo gives a very detailed clean picture that is also a bit sterile. Compared with the Unidisk 1.1, the colors and the spotlights on the Unidisk are warmer. Look at the spotlight behind Micheal Hucknall head. It gives his red hair a yellow aura lika that of an angel. After watching the concert I think he has the voice of an angel. He can really sing. Hence, you can say that the Unidisk enhances the experience of watching the concert.

Maybee some people like a accurate documentary of the concert and a natural picture. I prefer to imagine that I am at the concert. I want an total emotional experience from watching music DVDs, which I cannot get from listing to the soundtrack only. For an ordinary movie my preferences are different. Then I accept that the director has clear objective with everything and that I would like to see the movie as the director meant it to be seen. Then the Oppo has the edge.

What about the music? The Oppo is good, I could live with it. But, playing for CDs it is not very good, for streaming the Sneaky is better. For music DVDs both the Unidisk and the Movie are more fun to listen to. They bring out that extra magic to the performance.

I have also tried with Blurays in the Oppo and taken out digital sound to my Akurate Kontrol 0/D. The verdict is the same, good but not fantastic when have heard and watched the concert on a Unidisk 1.1, or a Movie for that matter.

Going briefly off-topic but many many thanks for your comparison review, Robert. I have asked this several times on the Linn forum with little conclusive evidence.
Yes, the Oppo 105 does more, plays more media and reduces box count. Further, the Unidisk laser mechanism has a tendency to fail which gets expensive if you want Linn to fix it. £515 expensive - which I'm still trying to justify. Especially as that's almost half the price of an Oppo 105. But, as long as the sound remains better, I'll stay with the Uni 1.1 and use a Loewe disc player for blu-ray duties. Aesthetically, it also fits with the earlier Akurate casings.

OK, back to the scheduled program.....
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225