Speaker test on The Gadget Show

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Speaker test on The Gadget Show

Post by Charlie1 »

Just saw an interesting piece on a UK programme called 'The Gadget Show'. They recorded an acoustic guitarist/singer live in a concert hall and then professionally produced a CD of the recording. They returned to the concert hall and setup a blind listening test comparing 1.) a small pair of £400 Mordant-Short Mezzo 2 speakers, 2.) the singer/guitarist playing live once again, and finally 3.) a pair of top of the range £12,000 KEF Ref 207/2 speakers. Both sets of speakers were fed by Marantz top of the range pre/power system. The presenters had to try and guess which was the live performance.

Both presenters were able to guess which was which correctly, but interestingly, they found it very difficult to correctly guess between the live performance and the little Mordant Shorts, although they sounded different. They found the live recording "more directional and punchy", the Mordant-Short's more "rounded and mellow" but with "a live feel", and the KEFs had a "big deep sound". One presenter said the hairs on his neck were standing up after hearing the KEFs, so they must have been doing something right as well. Despite these differences they were very surprised just how close the three performances were. However, I noticed that they were both very much more animated and excited after hearing the live performer, so I think they instinctively knew that it was live.

Anyway, I found it quite interesting, especially as the presenters are probably not Hi-Fi buffs and were just trying to spot the live performance, not judge bass or treble etc. I'm afraid they didn't use the Tune Method and didn't remove the speakers not being used during each test. Looked like it was all setup my a Hi-Fi retailer.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Speaker test on The Gadget Show

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote: especially as the presenters are probably not Hi-Fi buffs and were just trying to spot the live performance, not judge bass or treble etc. I'm afraid they didn't use the Tune Method
Yes, their feedback indicates they DID evaluate on sound, not on musicality.
If they HAD evaluated on musicality, it's totally impossible to miss the live performance. Even Linns best active Komrisystem is WAY WAY from a live concert.
Not from a sound perspective, but from a musical perspective.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree with ML, all systems mess upp the musicality quite a lot.

It varies how "untrained" people judge musical reproduction when they are asked to determine what is best. Some go by feeling, which I regard as the best approach. Others become analytical and only hear sounds and details. In reality that means they don't understand anything, because there is too much information to handle analytically.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I understand. I think the woman presenter was probably judging more by feeling as I don't recal here making many comments about the sound, but she immediately reacted to the live performance, whereas the man found it particularly hard to know which was live and which was the small speakers.

I'd love to do that test using Tune Dem and Linn products to experience for myself just where today's Hi-Fi compares with the real thing.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

The problem with using tune dem on such a test, is that you will actually judge two different performances, even if the musicians of course will do their best two make them as equal as possible.

I'm no musician, but it seems to me that the ability of musicians to communicate differs from time to time.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You are right, Broccoli. If they play like crap and their instruments are out of tune as well, the live performance will loose. :)

I wouldn't mind making experiments with this kind of setup. Considering that the musicians are source first, their performance will probably determine the outcome. But I suspect the reproduction will have other faults, that will feel important compared to the live performance.

The main problem is that there are so many steps from picking up the sounds to reproducing them with a pair of speakers. It's much easier to start with a record - like most of us enthusiasts do - and try squeezing as much enjoyment out of that as possible.