JBL 3677

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: JBL 3677

Post by tokenbrit »

Longer Silvers to allow a 2nd Harmoni rack to be positioned other than between the JBLs, &/or dedicated space for each Tundra Mono, L&R, to be located with each speaker?
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

ThomasOK, have you tried/considered the Yggdrasil shelf? It doesn't quite match the standard width Harmoni shelf in performance, but it is smaller in size. Maybe it could work with the 3677's?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

DelNaja wrote:ThomasOK, have you tried/considered the Yggdrasil shelf? It doesn't quite match the standard width Harmoni shelf in performance, but it is smaller in size. Maybe it could work with the 3677's?
I thought about that but since Anders hasn't developed a Mimer version of it I wasn't thrilled with the idea. My plan is to eventually have Mimers under all main components except the LP12.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

ThomasOK wrote:I thought about that but since Anders hasn't developed a Mimer version of it I wasn't thrilled with the idea. My plan is to eventually have Mimers under all main components except the LP12.
Anders has had problems with the width himself in his main room, he told me a couple of months ago. So a Mimer version of the Yggdrasil is in development. No idea when it'll be finished, though.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

That does sound interesting. It could certainly solve a couple problems if it's good enough.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:I have my 3677's running since 20days and they sound great now, better than my 242mkI.
Warning! they will sound very bad the first days. Stiff, no bass, no dynamics, high frequencies that destroy your ears. But give them HARD beating 24/7 and after 2weeks it's heavenly good.
Guys,
I have now 3677s as well and like them. Ofil stands are ordered too.

My question:

What is best method to connect the speaker cable to the stock barrier strip?

Clamping the bare wire?
Soldering copper ring spades to the speaker cable?
Soldering Knekt bananas to the speaker cable and trying to put the bananas into the barrier strip?
Something else?

Thanks

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2016-11-04 13:49, edited 3 times in total.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Congratulations!!

Are you still running them in?
What did you upgrade from?

Picture please :-)
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

mrco99 wrote:Congratulations!!
Are you still running them in?
What did you upgrade from?
Picture please :-)
Thank you,
yes, they are still running in.
I upgraded from the first gen Naim SBLs and now for the first time listening to classical music makes sense to me.
I will post picture after receiving the Ofils.

Matt
albadrex

Post by albadrex »

Hi,

Congratulations on your 3677 purchase! if you look in the jbl thread you will see helpful instructions on removing the crossovers.. I opted to use the plugs recommended but have kept the crossovers.. I will post a few photos to show the position I found suited for installing speaker connections by drilling at the bottom corner of the input panel.

With best wishes,

Alastair
KDSR(0), Sagatun 1.1, Tundra 2.0a, JBL 3677, Ofil Stands
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thank you, Alastair,
the 3677s need about 6 months for complete running in, so I do not want to modify anything in this time frame. My question regarding connecting the speaker cable is completely related to the stock 3677 terminal.
Maybe I will move the filter outside the speaker later, but so far I have no plans to do so. At the moment I am enjoying the 3677s as they are.

Matt
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote:
Music Lover wrote:I have my 3677's running since 20days and they sound great now, better than my 242mkI.
Warning! they will sound very bad the first days. Stiff, no bass, no dynamics, high frequencies that destroy your ears. But give them HARD beating 24/7 and after 2weeks it's heavenly good.
Guys,
I have now 3677s as well and like them. Ofil stands are ordered too.

My question:

What is best method to connect the speaker cable to the stock barrier strip?

Clamping the bare wire?
Soldering copper ring spades to the speaker cable?
Soldering Knekt bananas to the speaker cable and trying to put the bananas into the barrier strip?
Something else?

Thanks

Matt
Depends. How is the K400 cable terminated tody?
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Since I knew it would be a temporary connection, I just took some Deltron banana sockets (as used on Lejonklou amps) and connected them directly into some crimp on spade lugs of the proper size and then soldered properly. Then I screwed them onto the speaker terminals and plugged the cables into these adapters. Worked well enough to hear what the speakers were about without messing up my cables.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

The first days I tried bare wire clamped to the terminal, then I soldered simple copper ring spades (nothing audiophile) to the cable. From memory maybe the bare wire is slightly better, but it does not look good and is prone to oxydation in long term. Any suggestions?

Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I did it this way:

I cut four 5 cm pieces of K400 (direction noted)

In both ends, I strip the insulation and then cut away a little more than half of the copper strands.

In the source end, I solder Deltron 563 banana sockets. The plastic melts, so it needs to be done right.

In the speaker end, I throughly tin the ends so that it penetrates all strands (including the cut off ones) and while still hot I shake off the excess solder into a basket.

I screw the speaker end of the short cables to the 3677 and attach my optimally soldered 248 cm split K400 to the banana sockets in the other end.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote:The first days I tried bare wire clamped to the terminal, then I soldered simple copper ring spades (nothing audiophile) to the cable. From memory maybe the bare wire is slightly better, but it does not look good and is prone to oxydation in long term. Any suggestions?
Now I cut the speaker end of the cable to get rid of the copper ring spades. Then I divided both poles of the cable into equal two so that each end forms a V-shaped fork which was tinned with solder. The V-fork could be perfectly clamped to the barrier strip terminal. Much better!

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Deleted a huge number of posts. Apologies for not doing it sooner, work has taken over my life in recent months.

The topic is JBL 3677, feel free to keep on discussing them in this thread, with tune-dem as evaluation method.

All posts in this topic about moderation will be deleted, please use the sticky thread "Forum issues are discussed here" if you want to do that.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
ThomasOK wrote: Worse yet, apparently JBL doesn’t measure all that accurately either, as the woofer on the second one was a bit lower yet than on the first leaving a wider band of black on the top.
How much?
On my pair it's about 1mm difference. I think the positioning can be adjusted slightly when you mount the woofer.
Thank's for the information about the modifications, do you have more pics in daylight conditions?
Is was a big dark to really see all details and true colures.
I meant to answer this but never did. I had estimated it to be one quarter inch lower. I recently measured it and it came up to 7mm difference so a much bigger difference than your pair and pretty much right on to my estimate. It is true that you can shift the position a bit when you tighten down the woofer but not that much. In order to get the grills as close to lined up as possible I actually flipped both the JBLs upside down and loosened and re-tightened the woofers to get them as high up as possible. So the low one is not going up any higher. I will try to see if I can get the higher one lower to put them closer to the same level but from playing around with it before I'm pretty sure you can't make up 7mm.

I will end up having another pair of grills made and use what I learned from this pair to make them better. The woofer hole will be dropped a half inch so there is room to get them positioned the way I want them with either woofer position. I also need to laminate both the front and back as the current ones are starting to warp out at the top and bottom. The laminate will still leave the thickness such that the woofer protrudes a little so no real diffraction effects from the grill. It will also mean I don't need to do any painting on the back, just on the edges, which will reduce labor. I might also try to find a better attachment method. I don't know when I'll get around to this but there will be photos.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hi,

it would be very nice to know what the 3677 owners here found to be the best distance between the back of the speakers and the wall.
Many thanks.

Matt
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

In my room I found 114mm (almost exactly 4.5") to be the best. Fredrik told me in his room it was best at about 4". I believe music lover has his about 140mm or 5.5". This is where I had mine before RMAF but when I returned I tried closer because of Fredriks' comment and that is when I found the 114mm distance works best for me.
The LP12 Whisperer
Erik

Post by Erik »

What a coincidence, I have also found 114mm to be best in my room.

/Erik
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

So far I settled with 100mm from the wall and 1440mm between the speakers.

Matt
Matt

Erik

Post by Erik »

It's always room dependent so just try it out.

/Erik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Distance apart seems to have a wider variance. Fredrik had told me he had found 1172mm apart worked best at his house. Music lover has them a fair bit wider apart. At RMAF we had to put them farther apart to work with the equipment racks but found a spot that was really quite good. However, I didn't get the measurement. If you look at the video I posted with the sub you will see that I am very limited in how far apart I can get them. So using my original distance of somewhere near 1300mm I moved them closer together trying very small movements centered around 1172mm and spanning 1160mm to 1180mm. I ended up with 1166mm as optimum.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Erik wrote:What a coincidence, I have also found 114mm to be best in my room.

/Erik
Interesting!
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote:So using my original distance of somewhere near 1300mm I moved them closer together trying very small movements centered around 1172mm and spanning 1160mm to 1180mm. I ended up with 1166mm as optimum.
Thomas,
is there a certain musical quality you get when arriving at the optimal distance between the speakers?

Matt
Matt