JBL 3677

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

JH.

Re: JBL 3677

Post by JH. »

Before

After

I'm not sure it'll help much. I did my best to make them the same except for the internal change but variables increase when you screw it up the first time. This is with stuffing and untwisted tweeters for the 2nd.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I prefer Before.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

The 'after' clip is quite sqwarky, especially the violin at the beginning. Maybe it is OK in the room. The 'before' clip seems much better balanced.

However, getting past the large sound difference, I did find the 'after' clip easier to follow.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Before and After

Post by Ron The Mon »

JH. wrote: 2019-11-12 21:05 Before

After

I'm not sure it'll help much. I did my best to make them the same except for the internal change but variables increase when you screw it up the first time. This is with stuffing and untwisted tweeters for the 2nd.
JH.,
I'm not sure what you were worried about, the differences were quite obvious to me and your phone sounds better than what most others post here. I really liked the music too. I just finished playing a Homer & Jethro album, so you kept the groove going; who was that?

I definitely preferred "before". In most old-time music, the bass playing is quite rudimentary but is important in anchoring the song. In this case the tune of the bass was much easier to follow in the before clip. The vocals were more sing-songy as well as the benevolent mood of the song.

I'm surprised by how good your clips came across. What is the rest of your system? I'd advise you to only make one change at a time as you won't know if the stuffing improved the sound but the untwisting worsened it or vice-versa. Cumulative changes are always a mystery.

Ron The Mon
JH.

Post by JH. »

I only made one change at time. You guys aren't getting that full benefit because I screwed up when recording the first time - and I'm not about to move backwards for myself.

Well I think my thoughts that the videos aren't going to tell anything too well are correct. In person no one would ever choose before over after. Before listening while sitting in front of the speakers was too much except for low volumes and certain types of music. Now it's pretty pleasant no matter what. The clarity of everything is also improved. The only downside is the improved bass shows how much stands would be nice to slightly unload the small hump it causes somewhere.

You have to recognize that the volumes sound different. I'm not sure I'm on the exact volume spot, and these phones tend to normalize volumes. The first one was probably louder, and comes out quieter after recording. This is the album, and it was done at Liberty who had really hot recording equipment. The music is rather forward all on it's own.

Before bass was... hardly existed. Now I'm not yearning for a subwoofer. (Believe me, I was looking at JBL subs)

The overall musical factor is way higher, way more singability. The dryness factor isn't as high either.

There isn't really any commercial associated equipment, it's all DIY.
JH.

Post by JH. »

I grabbed the 5 sheets of these to put on the horns, on the inside of cabin.

I'm not conclusive on sound yet. May be positive. I noticed the CD rings a little tapping on the front but it's hard to want to place anything on it that could thermally interfere.
JH.

Post by JH. »

After more listening I can say I think the damping of the horn body is a very good thing. While I understand at budget and everything it's a great way to mount a horn, I can still say that it's better than a horn not be exposed to as much vibration from a woofer so this is a solution without totally changing a box.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: JBL 3677 or some other JBL (in production)

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi All,

Did somebody try other JBL model that is as well musical as 3677 ...

For example 4312 or ...
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-07 09:40 Did somebody try other JBL model that is as well musical as 3677 ...
For example 4312 or ...
I purchased the 3677s without listening because of the recommendation on this forum and never looked back.
The more I listen to them the more I like them, for me the perfect speakers.
They are two-way speakers with a very high sensitivity of 99dB, both specs tick my boxes.
The 4312 are completely different......

Matt
Matt

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2020-03-07 16:26
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-07 09:40 Did somebody try other JBL model that is as well musical as 3677 ...
For example 4312 or ...
I purchased the 3677s without listening because of the recommendation on this forum and never looked back.
The more I listen to them the more I like them, for me the perfect speakers.
They are two-way speakers with a very high sensitivity of 99dB, both specs tick my boxes.
The 4312 are completely different......

Matt
Hi Matt,
Thank you for your answer. I'm glad that you are happy with your 3677.
They are not in production anymore ... that's why I ask for eventually other model ... with the same "blood line", theater / cinema = high efficiency .....
4312 are studio monitors, and are, as you say, completely different ... but may be somebody try them ... or some other model ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The person who discovered the 3677s is Jacob who goes by jajo on here. My understanding is that he listened to most of the 3000 and 4000 series JBL professional cinema speakers and the 3677 was the only one with the magic. I haven't heard the model that replaces it, but they seem to have done everything possible to make it unsuitable as a 3677 replacement for people like us. It is 40" wide, has the tweeter on the bottom, uses all different components (likely cheaper) and was voiced by a different person. Flipping it over wouldn't be an option with OFIL stands as the connectors are now on the and stick out.

Too bad you're not in the US as I'm looking to sell my pair which have the crossover mods and a nice midnight blue metallic satin finish.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2020-03-07 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-03-07 17:17 The person who discovered the 3677s is Jacob who goes by jajo on here. My understanding is that he listened to most of the 3000 and 4000 series JBL professional cinema speakers and the 3677 was the only one with the magic. I haven't heard the model that replaces it, but they seem to have done everything possible to make it unsuitable as a 3677 replacement for people like us. It is 40" wide, has the tweeter on the bottom, uses all different components (likely cheaper) and was voiced by a different person. Flipping it over wouldn't be an option with OFIL stands as the connectors are now on the and stick out.
Thank you for your detail answer ThomasOK,
... JBL Pro cinema (3000 and 4000) is not in the game for us ...
Search for "Dream Speaker" will continue ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-07 16:49 Hi Matt,
Thank you for your answer. I'm glad that you are happy with your 3677.
They are not in production anymore ... that's why I ask for eventually other model ... with the same "blood line", theater / cinema = high efficiency .....
4312 are studio monitors, and are, as you say, completely different ... but may be somebody try them ... or some other model ...
Hi Vlado,

I looked into the JBL Pro Cinema models.
The most similar to the 3677 is the 3678. It seems to have similar drivers, it is two-way high sensitivity and the crossover frequency is about the same. How this relates to sound and musicality I do not know. This model is quite a bit larger than the 3677 and may not integrate as nicely into a living room. But it should be worth a try.

Matt
Matt

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2020-03-07 20:58
Hi Vlado,

I looked into the JBL Pro Cinema models.
The most similar to the 3677 is the 3678. It seems to have similar drivers, it is two-way high sensitivity and the crossover frequency is about the same. How this relates to sound and musicality I do not know. This model is quite a bit larger than the 3677 and may not integrate as nicely into a living room. But it should be worth a try.

Matt
Thank you Matthias,

I will try to arrange something here ... at JBL retailer ...

Maybe they are good ...
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-07 21:07 I will try to arrange something here ... at JBL retailer ...
Maybe they are good ...
Hi Vlado,

I just discovered that I asked jajo about the 3678. His answer is on page two of this thread.

Maybe you can find a pair of 3677s on eBay?

All the best

Matt
Matt

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2020-03-07 21:21
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-03-07 21:07 I will try to arrange something here ... at JBL retailer ...
Maybe they are good ...
Hi Vlado,

I just discovered that I asked jajo about the 3678. His answer is on page two of this thread.

Maybe you can find a pair of 3677s on eBay?

All the best

Matt
Hi Matt,

I find that post from Feb 2016, Jacob didn't find anything close to 3677, beside he tests several other models ...

eBay is one of the options ...

Thank you and Best Regards,

Vlado
Music First ...
Vlado
JH.

Post by JH. »

I ended up removing some lining behind my woofer. It seems like 100% isn't the right balance, makes instruments sound small.

It's kind of a vintage thing to have low amounts of internal lining/filling. I think there is a little something to it.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hi guys,

as a potential alternative to 3677s I came across these speakers from Canada:

https://www.thehereticspeaker.com/a612

The interesting thing is that they use a serial crossover similar to Klangedang.

They are brand new and are sold directly from the factory in Montreal.
Matt

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

matthias wrote: 2022-01-31 20:24 https://www.thehereticspeaker.com/a612

The interesting thing is that they use a serial crossover similar to Klangedang.
Where is the tweeter..?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

its in the middle of the woofer

they look interesting
they are expensive
unclear is their musicality
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2022-02-01 15:31 unclear is their musicality
It would be very nice if ThomasOK can try them in his shop, Ann Arbor is not too far away from Montreal.
Matt

John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

matthias wrote: 2022-01-31 20:24 Hi guys,

For that kind of money, I would strongly consider a pair of Tannoy Legacy Arden’s.

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/tanno ... oudspeaker
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

matthias wrote: 2022-02-01 21:01
Defender wrote: 2022-02-01 15:31 unclear is their musicality
It would be very nice if ThomasOK can try them in his shop, Ann Arbor is not too far away from Montreal.
Very! Something about how they look makes me think I would like them.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

matthias wrote: 2022-01-31 20:24 Hi guys,

..and what do the Klangedangs sound like ?
I know that tune