Linn Krystal

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

stefan

Linn Krystal

Post by stefan »

If you heard it I'm interested in your thoughts and opinions. Exactly how good is it? Surely better than Klyde, if we can rank it among Troika, Arkiv, Akiva? I will try and get a demo asap.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Krystal

Post by Efraim roots »

I've got the Krystal with Uphorik for some time now, did the upgrade from Adikt. I'm really happy with it but it the LP12 was "serviced" at the same time, and later on I did that again myself with torque tool (which feels necessary if you got used to that). So the comparison with Adikt is a bit difficult. I'm getting the LP12 back in the jig one more time also for some final adjustments (I haven't touched the Krystal yet).

In summary i would say it's not "all that" going from Adikt to Krystal but it certainly improve things. A solid improvement and refinement in music, and it's a source upgrade which always is especially nice.

I would be very grateful for some advise regarding torque range for fastening screws and other setup tips regarding Krystal.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Anyone tried the SR torque tool with Krystal, which range is safe and sound with this materials? Other setup tips with the three mount design?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have not actually had the opportunity to mount one of the Krystal cartridges yet so I don't have a precise torque for it. However, you can extrapolate from other cartridges with aluminum bodies as I expect the torque should be in the same range. Two different Lyra cartridges with "hard-anodized" aluminum bodies were most musical at .4Nm and .4Nm +2 notches. Dynavector DV-20X2 and DV XX2 mk2 both clocked in at .6Nm -5 notches (which should be pretty close to .5Nm). Those are all on Ittok or Ekos tonearms but the torque seems to vary little with different arms if they have reasonably strong head shells. For example the Dynavector DV 20X2 on a Wilson Benesch arm was .6Nm -7 notches. The Rega Apheta is .6-1 and the Sumiko Blackbird is .4+1 (RB700 and Akito II respectively). These are all aluminum cartridges where the screws thread directly into the body, like the Krystal. So I expect somewhere from a little below .4Nm to several notches below .6Nm is where you are likely to land.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Ok, thanks! Much appreciated. When optimizing Adikt I did the torque with the Ekos SE still mounted since it was so low force. Would you say it's ok to experiment between 0.4-0.6 range with the turntable still on the wallshelf or is it mandatory to remove the arm from the LP12? It seems like pretty low force compared to the old days of "Linn tight" when that rule came around.