Klimax vs Akurate Radikal

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Klimax vs Akurate Radikal

Post by Matteo »

Considering the upgrade path, does Klimax Radikal come before Keel/Ekos?

I posted this question on the wigwam lp12 section but there are very few people that follow the forum.

M.
alan

Post by alan »

Hello,

Radikal Akurate / Klimax, I tried a version with a 10mm aluminum housing assembled solid(10kg). Compared to my Akurate case which is already efficient, the Aluminium 10mm case makes a big progression that I did not think!
Image Image
alan

Post by alan »

I forgot the inside of my 10mm Aluminium radikal.Image
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Sounds like a technical success. Now, cosmetically.........................................
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Great idea Alan. How does it sound?
alan

Post by alan »

sktn77a wrote: 2021-01-04 17:12 Sounds like a technical success. Now, cosmetically.........................................
Yes, with the enlarged photo and flash the paint retouches near the rear connectors are amplified, as well as the underlayment, fortunately these imperfections are hardly noticeable or little. Otherwise I would have emptied the box and done the painting in the oven at a painter in carosserie
alan

Post by alan »

Spannko wrote: 2021-01-04 18:19 Great idea Alan. How does it sound?

With a friend we exchanged for a few days his Radikal Klimax and the Radikal Aluminium 10mm; the differences are small, we considered that both sound with a nice resemblance. The circuits of the Radikal klimax are mounted upside down, probably, the closing screws of the lid become invisible underneath.
ITB

Post by ITB »

Scrolling through my music I found some recordings I've made in summer 2018 comparing the same Radikal board and Dynamik PSU in Akurate and Klimax housing.
I like to share these recordings so you can hear the difference by yourself, or not :-)

I've put 4 tracks in a zip-file.
The link opens a page with some text and the zip-file. (This is my personal server.)
Radikal Akurate vs Klimax

IT'S JUST THE CASE
Last edited by ITB on 2021-01-26 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ITB wrote: 2021-01-25 22:13 Scrolling through my music I found some recordings I've made in summer 2018 comparing the same Radikal board and Dynamik PSU in Akurate and Klimax housing.
I like to share these recordings so you can hear the difference by yourself, or not :-)

I've put 4 tracks in a zip-file.
The link opens a page with some text and the zip-file. (This is my personal server.)
Radikal Akurate vs Klimax
Cool ITB!

I'm downloading them now and will listen tomorrow.
bryamacada

Post by bryamacada »

ITB wrote: 2021-01-25 22:13 ..recordings I've made in summer 2018 comparing the same Radikal board and Dynamik PSU in Akurate and Klimax housing. I like to share these recordings so you can hear the difference by yourself, or not :-)
Thanks ITB.

For me, that closes the issue pretty conclusively.

By the way, was the sound playing out through speakers during the recording ?
Linn / Naim enthusiast
ITB

Post by ITB »

I have made the recordings with Songcorder and listen to the tracks during recording, KK at low volume.
So these are digital recordings using KRDSM AD conversion.
Proces is: LP12 Urika -> Klimax Renew DSM ADC-> Songcast -> Songcorder -> Harddisk PC -> SoundForge (for editing, normalize to max 0dB output -> flac).
bryamacada

Post by bryamacada »

ITB wrote: 2021-01-26 18:49 I have made the recordings with Songcorder and listen to the tracks during recording, KK at low volume.
Thanks ITB,

Those are very good recordings, I also use low or zero volume, for best results, when recording vinyl to digital.
Linn / Naim enthusiast
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Thanks a lot for the clips. Or rather not as I will need to start saving ;-) Massive difference.
Topkho

Post by Topkho »

Long shot…. but I will ask the question anyway… if you had to choose K-Rad 1 vs A-Rad 2 at a similar price, which one would you pick and would be the most musical?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I haven’t compared them, but probably the Klimax, as this could be upgraded later to the current specs. I upgraded from Akurate/1 Radikal to Klimax/2 and the difference is huge.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-02-10 23:46 I haven’t compared them, but probably the Klimax, as this could be upgraded later to the current specs. I upgraded from Akurate/1 Radikal to Klimax/2 and the difference is huge.
I haven't done this comparison (it isn't particularly easy to do as the Radikal 2 motor and control board are not compatible with their Radikal 1 equivalents so you can't just swap out the control box). My belief is that the Akurate Radikal 2 would likely musically outperform the Klimax Radikal 1 due to the motor and controller being more important than the case. Despite that I agree with Tendaberry that I would recomend going to the Klimax Radikal 1 as it can later be upgraded to the Radikal 2 at a reasonable price. Upgrading an Akurate Radikal 2 to a Klimax Radikal 2 is not likely to be as cost effective. After all the Klimax Radikal 2 costs $2925 more than the Akurate version and you wouldn't likely get back what you paid for it on a trade in. The Radikal 2 upgrade costs $2275, these being US prices.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Matteo wrote: 2018-12-05 00:09 Considering the upgrade path, does Klimax Radikal come before Keel/Ekos?

I posted this question on the wigwam lp12 section but there are very few people that follow the forum.

M.
Hello Matteo,

nice to see you again. Coming from Lingo2 - Ekos2 ... I first added a Kore.
Then Lingo2 went for a Klimax Radikal.
Keel, and Ekos/SE are now on order since end of last year, together with the Radikal Upgrade

I skipped the Akurate Radikal right away, after doing the Akurate vs Radikal direct comparison at my dealer.

I also did a Kore vs Keel comparison, longer ago before ordering the Kore.

Do you mean, if the Radikals or the subchassis should be optimized first? From my memory, both upgrades brought similar improvements. But that was the old Radikal. With the additional improvements, and provided that a Kore is already in place, I'd be even more convinced to do Radikal first, and Keel later.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038