Need help with a Tune Dem! 'in room recordings'

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Need help with a Tune Dem! 'in room recordings'

Post by Efraim roots »

lejonklou wrote:If it sounds spectacular, no need to be concerned!
+1

I made some new recordings a couple of days ago and now got them up on dropbox. I can't say everything is exactly the same except the torque but still "pretty much". Now the amps have been powered up for several days instead of hours. Recordings were made at the same time of the day during regular weekdays. Almost identical cable dressing (can't remember exactly), placement on shelfs can differ a little for the Tundra (+/- 5mm) but almost identical for KK (+/- 1mm). Otherwise the biggest difference is that I torqued the boards inside KK to the recommended force evaluated by ThomasOK, it was 1.0nm -1notch with the SR driver.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbrdd0mqf9k3y ... e.zip?dl=0

Note that I definitely could take this installation further but I don't know if I'll bother right away since I'll be moving to a new flat early January. I will evaluate naca5 (I will make some efforts figuring out optimal length and also try Linn Knekt banans) vs k200, also trying to get a next pair of silvers between KK and Tundra (looking for second hand). Then also take the optimization of KK further with trying the direction of internal cables, menu setup and possibly torque the feet, has anyone done that on Klimax gear? I'm still a little reserved about the KK, I remember the internal cabling of Radikal made a big difference, and the wrong direction just left a nagging feeling of "off-ness" when listening (even tho it certainly also was good). If it turns out that internal cabling of KK is oriented in the wrong way it would make a lot of sense to me but of course I could be wrong, it could be something else. I want to rule it out still, you shouldn't compromise with a preamp IMO, especially with a Tundra 2 power amp :-)
the players of instruments shall be there..
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Efraim!

Interesting stuff. The torqued C has gained attack and sounds less wobbly on the notes.

I am not sure I feel there is any big difference in musicality between C and A. C is a bit more precise, but A boogies well too, in a more laid back way.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks for your input! I agree, but I would say C is better. I was just listening to the recorded files from dropbox (instead of original files) and I can say the experience IRL is quite different, maybe it's a bit risky relying on recordings like this, the parts they leave out may have significance. Now I wasn't really prepared from the beginning to make a A/B test of that last torque step so there may be a number of other small things affecting the result aswell. The IBL are quite special speakers also, they are very 'dry and fast' (and good, but remember they are unserviced late 80's speakers).
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

by the way, if I got my Tundra 2cm from front to the edge of shelf on a standard Harmoni rack did I get the placement right?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Efraim roots wrote:...I can say the experience IRL is quite different, maybe it's a bit risky relying on recordings like this, the parts they leave out may have significance.
Yes, I learned that from jewa's recordings of Slipsik 5.1 versus Slipsik 6. Just one week earlier I thought the difference was obvious in my room. But the recordings were different and rather tricky.
Efraim roots wrote:by the way, if I got my Tundra 2cm from front to the edge of shelf on a standard Harmoni rack did I get the placement right?
Yes, that's the right position!