Post by lejonklou »

Rather surprisingly, Linn have decided to launch an official forum:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/index.php

I wish them good luck with it!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Yes, I found out earlier today and reading all posts - it's looking VERY promising :mrgreen:
Well done Linn!
It's all about musical understanding!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Hehe, I think they will have serious problems moderating that forum. All former topica members will be signed up there in a week or so.

Good luck to them! It's a great idea five years too late :D
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I wonder why they have waited so long? Doesn't mention anything about using Tune Method when comparing products - I presume that would alienate too many people.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think it's the DS players that have made Linn wake up.*) Previously their machines needed a tiny bit of software to perform as intended, and this was updated perhaps once a year. Now software has become the main interface against the user, and it will likely be updated very often.

Linn want their users to help in developing the interface, and the user will most likely take care of all updates and installations - which was previously performed by the retailers.

What does this shift towards the end user do to the retailers? We have seen Linn open a webshop, where there's currently just accessories on sale. But why not DS players as well? Linn could make a lot more money by selling directly to the customer.

I think they're taking their first steps in that direction. What do you think?

*) It was more than 8 years ago since I started topica... :shock:

EDIT: I mistakenly thought topica started in 1999, but it was in Feb 2000.
Last edited by lejonklou on 2008-04-22 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
poppop

Post by poppop »

Frederik

Ive just been having the exact same discussion with a freind who is a Linn retailer. Why not sell directly to the customer, and not lose the 25/40 or 60% discount to the retailer??

Given that their accounts need to improve,( I assume, certainly recent years havent looked great) it seems the most logical step!?

Steve.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

poppop wrote:Ive just been having the exact same discussion with a freind who is a Linn retailer. Why not sell directly to the customer, and not lose the 25/40 or 60% discount to the retailer??

Given that their accounts need to improve,( I assume, certainly recent years havent looked great) it seems the most logical step!?
Who's going to spend large sums of money without first hearing the product? Either that or they would have to offer a returns policy. But it would still be impractical to compare multiple products. I guess there are always people who will purchase an item based on a magazine review. You guys obviously understand the retail side of things better than I do, but it seems strange to me.

And what about the dealers? A buyer could just get a dealer demonstration or two and then buy direct.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Judging by the number of Sneaky DS's on eBay, I wouldn't be suprised if Linn had agreed with dealers that this product could be sold direct.

Whilst the first one I saw on eBay looked a bit dodgy, there have been others since from Peter Tyson and Martin Kleiser, neither of whom seem to sell any other new equipment online (they just use eBay to shift exdemo/trade in kit).

I see it as a very good thing that Linn are starting to sell some things online. I bought new Keilidh grilles direct recently (via their eBay shop), since my dealer wasn't able to get hold of them.

I agree that most of the higher end kit should not be bought without a decent audition though.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree totally with Fredrik's explanation of the Linn forum. Since Linn has jumped into the Streaming Media market with both feet, yet without fully realized products (weak interface and limited file handling) they need an effective way to distribute updates and enlist the help of others in making the DS units truly market ready.

The program Linn has devised for the rollout of the Sneaky Music DS also indicates that it is indeed likely to show up on the Linn store soon. Linn has put a much lower dealer margin on the SM DS than on any of their other products while at the same time requiring the dealer to purchase them in boxes of five. The excuse for the lower margin is, in part, "the self-sufficient nature of the new generation of computer-savvy music consumers". And that the dealer can charge for installation. In addition Linn are allowing any dealers to sell the SM DS on the internet including through eBay and Audiogon.

The combination of having to purchase 5 packs, the lower margin and the probability of internet competition is not thrilling the dealers. Unless the program is changed it is likely to have a lukewarm reception with the dealer base which will give Linn just the excuse they need to start selling it on their own Linn Store website (where it is unlikely they will require customers to buy 5 :wink: ). You might say the writing is on the wall in big, red letters. However, unless Linn is in a position to emulate Apple and open their own stores all over the place (they aren't) they are likely to find this new mode of business to be counterproductive in the long run as the dealer base will continue to dwindle due to being tired of the lack of support from Linn.

Regardless, I agree that the Linn Forum is a good idea although, as noted, quite late. And I agree that they will attract a lot of the Topica people as Topica spends much time on "What is the latest (UniDisk, Kisto, DS, etc.) software update". I don't think that we have much to worry about here as the focused yet free-ranging, substantive discussions that we have up here are unlikely to flourish there.
markus

Post by markus »

regarding the sneaky ds: my dealer told me that there are to retail prices for this box. one with full installation support from your dealer and a lower one when just buying the "box" and do the installation and setup for yourself... that would also match to the linnstore.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

What do members think of the Linn forum so far?

Pleasantly surprised to see that Gilad has added a couple of posts.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have only met Gilad once, but then he was very friendly and showed sincere interest in what everyone had to say. This felt quite promising to me, as listening to feedback has not been one of Linns strengths in the past! They have rather gone their own way and shrugged at all suggestions. Which of course might be the right thing to do - occasionally.

I remember Ivor once saying that his grandfather (?) taught him that "when everyone agrees with you, you are on the wrong track!". Certainly that attitude seems to have influenced his company! :lol:

The forum seems to start off quite well, it will be interesting to see what happens when there are thousands of members. I find that crowded forums with little moderation can be very difficult to get good advice from.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It has been good to see participation from Linn employees on the forum. It has taken off pretty well and appears to have pretty much killed off Topica in the process - they have only had 5 posts in the last two weeks! I am glad to see it isn't having the same effect here.

Although I am pleased Linn finally have a forum I am finding it difficult to use. Unlike here, the indicators of what you have seen and what you haven't don't seem to work well for me. I will log on and all sections will show that they have new stuff. I go into one and find that some topics that are unmarked have posts I have not read. Then when I go back to the main page several sections no longer show new posts even though I haven't viewed them yet. I find the only way to be sure I've read everything is to keep track of the date and time I last visited.

I am much happier with the way this forum works. I also find a level of quality information here that I don't find anywhere else.