Post holiday reflections

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post holiday reflections

Post by u252agz »

On returning from a very nice two week family holiday in Mauritius , I fired up the Monos and KDS/2.

Wow. Indescribably good. Had to sit down and just marvel at the music. One week - still the same.

Normally, I am quite happy to return from the best of holidays ; but from now on will be positively looking forward to coming back home.

So, to Fredrik and the folks at Linn:

Thank you for the Music and all you do.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Post holiday reflections

Post by hcl »

u252agz wrote:On returning from a very nice two week family holiday in Mauritius , I fired up the Monos and KDS/2.

Wow. Indescribably good. Had to sit down and just marvel at the music. One week - still the same.

Normally, I am quite happy to return from the best of holidays ; but from now on will be positively looking forward to coming back home.

So, to Fredrik and the folks at Linn:

Thank you for the Music and all you do.
Great! I have done the same observation since som 15 years now (and it has been more and more so). Having been forced to listen to music through all kinds of different systems (on holiday) it is such a relief to come home and listen to a system that you can just relax and take n what is presented and not having to struggle to hear what is going on.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yes - It has always been a relief to get back home and listen to the system; and also for me it has been getting more noticable over the years.

However this year - it was different. I was really, really impressed. A huge difference from previous years.

Last year I had KDS/1, AK/1 Tundra Mono 1s and 242s; the year before, if I remember correctly, KRDS/0, Kolektor, LK140s, Ninkas. All pretty decent in my opinion, and always enjoyable.

I would like to think it is the upgrades, especially the monos/KDS/2:

But maybe I as I get older I am beginning to appreciate the lack of musicality on holidays more, and the jump to a decent system therefore seems more noticable.

Of course it could be just age; making me generally more demanding and less tolerant of things in general.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I have a similar experience but for me it's every day. Always nice getting home and play some music :)
u252agz wrote: Of course it could be just age; making me generally more demanding and less tolerant of things in general.
Don't think that is the reason, at-least for me.
I can enjoy music from "low-level" equipment.
For me it's the opposite, I appreciate good performance more and more. Live music or from a recording.

As a side note...
During the recent weeks the performance of my system has improved to a new stunning level.
Not sure but it can be the Mono2s and KDS/2 that is fully burned in by now. (as I wrote in May, it normally takes 3 months or so to obtain a stable situation on new equipment)
I was a bit worried as the performance took a dive in June an stayed there for 4-5 weeks. I was worried!
THEN it suddenly took a jump up to a level previously not heard.
I'm currently VERY happy with the performance !!
It's shockingly good actually, also when playing BD from the Oppo 105. BD live concerts are really nice to watch.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank YOU, u252agz!

I know what you mean and I don't think it has anything to do with age.

I try to take one month of vacation each year (this year's just ended) and usually I am away from anything resembling a decent HiFi system. When returning home, the immediate memory of how the system sounded is completely gone. So the first pieces or songs I listen to reach me in a state of surprise. "So THIS is what music feels like on my system!"

And just after this initial state of surprise, I can always sense roughly how rewarding my system is to listen to.

Some years I've been disappointed - occasionally followed by a clear picture in my mind of what is missing in the musical reproduction. Some years I've been super impressed, unable to comprehend how recorded music can feel so alive.

I've consciously treasured these moments of surprise and truth for the last 20 years.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Fredrik

Thank you for your insight - I think the immediate memory of the system being lost describes what I am experiencing. Currently I am in the 'unable to comprehend how reproduced music can sound so good' phase of my return from holiday - long may it continue.

Music Lover

I think I too maybe in the 3 month period following upgrades of Tundra Monos and KDS/1 so could be experiencing a similar improvement to you.

I also enjoy the experience of turning the music on every day - so much so, it becomes like an addictive drug (or how I imagine such a drug to be ).

I agree that one of the benefits of growing old is being able to better appreciate the simple pleasures in life.

The more one experiences some of the less satisfying pleasures in life, the more one appreciates the really good ones.

This applies especially to the simplest of pleasures, such as listening to music

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Two weeks in from the Holidays and the Music sounds just as good as it did on the first day.

Each time I put on a different album - I am struck by the same 'unable to comprehend how reproduced music can sound so good'.

Looks like the ' loss of the immediate memory of the system' seems to apply to each album and track I listen to!

As I tend to listen to only two or three albums a week ( repeatedly), it looks like I will not have gone through my library before the next summer break.

And then, hopefully it will all start over again.
Last edited by u252agz on 2015-08-21 15:19, edited 2 times in total.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I'm happy that you still enjoy the system as much as you do.
I'm blessed with same feeling, it's great !
Have som difficulties to stop playing music...
It's all about musical understanding!