Linn Sneaky Music DS Network Music Player

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Komri

Linn Sneaky Music DS Network Music Player

Post by Komri »

Linn news....

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/browse.asp?product=3916

Anyone that knows more about this product?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I have only read some rumours on selleri.de that the DS player in the unit is supposed to outperform Majik CD. If that is true it's a real killer! :shock: :D
MustardJoe

Post by MustardJoe »

So? Does anybody know more? Some details? What can it do? What can I connect? Does it do wireless? Home networking? How? When will it be available? So many questions ...
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

I haven't heard anything about this yet, although I've seen the above link in a couple of other places too.

I'd love it to be true, but suspect that it probably isn't...

There are two things I can't quite work out:
  • - The appearance is completely new, not like the LK boxes, not like the AV boxes, and not like the Klimax boxes.
    - The name seems wrong! The description makes it sound like a Classik type product, but it's called "Sneaky" which has only ever been used for internal modules, as far as I know.
Anyone else able to confirm/deny the existence of this product?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
MustardJoe

Post by MustardJoe »

It is true.
The news came as an official Linn product launch info last Friday. But the frustrating thing is that Linn is keeing all the juicy details for themselves... for now.
The product makes a lot of sense. With it they can win many new customers who might become buyers for the regular products.
Rem

Post by Rem »

Brief spec as below, I understand shipping in about three weeks, about 1300euro, 995 uk pounds

Linn DS technology, 20W power amplifier built in, supports FLAC, WAV & MP3. Supports Internet Radio (MP3 & AAC streams through Shoutcast) Switch Mode Power Supply, analogue line level outputs, can be connected to an external pre-amplifier and used as a source, when power amps are disabled. SPDIF and Toslink Digital outputs so can be connected to an external DAC or high quality digital pre-amplifier, e.g. Kisto.........

Affordable DS quality like no other! :D :shock:
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I guess that there are no line inputs? Is the volume controlled by the computer?

EDIT: Welcome! :)
Rem

Post by Rem »

Of course to be confirmed but understand no line inputs, volume control should be possible from keypad like Basik3IR with handset when plugged into Sneaky Music - hopefully more details over the week when we get the 'official' launch.......... :lol:
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Hmmm...I'm thinking that this might be rather nice as a feed to my AV5103, AV5125 and Aktiv Keilidhs :D (although it doesn't sound like it can replace the 5103, since there's no volume control without using an RCU :( )

I can't justify the cost of an Akurate or Klimax DS, but I can probably swing this one...

The only question for me is whether they'll be bringing out a "Majik DS" at some point this year, say for £2000, which might have better DACs etc.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Rem wrote:Brief spec as below, I understand shipping in about three weeks, about 1300euro, 995 uk pounds

Linn DS technology, 20W power amplifier built in, supports FLAC, WAV & MP3. Supports Internet Radio (MP3 & AAC streams through Shoutcast) Switch Mode Power Supply, analogue line level outputs, can be connected to an external pre-amplifier and used as a source, when power amps are disabled. SPDIF and Toslink Digital outputs so can be connected to an external DAC or high quality digital pre-amplifier, e.g. Kisto.........

Affordable DS quality like no other! :D :shock:
:shock:
Amazing value!
Well done Linn :!:
I see a LOT of revenue coming from this product - good for all of us.
It's all about musical understanding!
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

The above eBay advert appears to be associated with someone running "LinnCentres", and producing the www.sneakyds.com website (which has a load more tech specs & FAQ on it).

The weird thing about this website is that it's actually hosted on web.mac.com (i.e. free personal webhosting) as can be seen from actually looking at links like "http://web.mac.com/lewispaul/LinnCentres/Home.html"

Personally, I think that I'll hold off ordering one until Linn have actually announced it, at least!
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
markus

Post by markus »

the sneaky DS will come. it is an official linn product. some out there are faster in announcing than linn.

it is kind of a roomamp with ethernet input to access a central NAS storage and streaming audio. so you only need the sneaky DS and two speakers and you have music in "every room".

compared to a knekt roomamp the input for local audio sources are missing.

but it seems to be a good (pricy) start with Linn DS. it is a real entry level product and "door opener" from linn. everyone you can't or will not afford a klimax ds and even an akurate ds is out of reach, the little snkeay ds could be the option. only interessting part would be how this compares to the network audio clients out there like squeezbox and such...
dlorde

Post by dlorde »

markus wrote:it is kind of a roomamp with ethernet input to access a central NAS storage and streaming audio.
So not wireless then? I notice that none of the links mention the network connection technology...
Rem

Post by Rem »

Just to confirm it does exist and is not our imgination! The official launch information will be out later this week, and I am also told it will be available in Silver. I think the wireless option has not been considered due to potential reliability issues - not forgetting some people may place this with other equipment using the same airwaves etc! We also work with Sonos, Escient, Slim Devices agmonst others and where possible look to hard wire for consistency and reliability and last but not least sound quality! 8)
Last edited by Rem on 2008-04-08 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

markus wrote:it is kind of a roomamp with ethernet input to access a central NAS storage and streaming audio. so you only need the sneaky DS and two speakers and you have music in "every room".

Does it actually provide other RoomAmp functionality? i.e. the ability to connect to sources in the Main room over Knekt, or can this device only playback networked data files, and is just using Knekt for control panels?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Rem

Post by Rem »

rowlandhills wrote:
markus wrote:it is kind of a roomamp with ethernet input to access a central NAS storage and streaming audio. so you only need the sneaky DS and two speakers and you have music in "every room".

Does it actually provide other RoomAmp functionality? i.e. the ability to connect to sources in the Main room over Knekt, or can this device only playback networked data files, and is just using Knekt for control panels?
I think you have to take off your Knekt hat and think of all the DS range in a different light - they are all source products - the Sneaky Music DS is no different but provides internal amplification if required i.e you may have Akurate DS with your main system and Sneaky Music DS in other locations. Of course some people will use it as a main source in the main system - going by the DS products in the range the Sneaky DS will sound astounding where ever - and remember Shoutcast allows internet radio as well.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

I quite understand that the Sneaky Music DS is a source in it's own right, but my question was more around whether if you've got other sources such as an LP12 or an FM tuner, those can be accessed via a Sneaky Music DS if used as a replacement for a RoomAmp. Unfortunately, there are lots of good radio stations (all of the BBC ones in the UK, for example) which are not available through shoutcast, so you'd need to retain access to a Pekin/Kremlin via Knekt to listen to these...
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Rem

Post by Rem »

Understand re shoutcast - since we don't have full spec as of yet it may do local source inputs - though I would imagine you will not be able to hear a local source in another zone (Sneaky DS etc.) I have an Intersekt system and have run sonos into this as a source available in all zones as well as my main system, now however placed Akurate DS in main system, for my listening pleasure, while the rest of the family use sonos! My guess would be since DS is based upon UPnP the feature count/facilities will be added to as the range moves along. It would be possible to put a Sneaky DS into an exisiting Knekt system as a source in the head end although you still need control and would make it a single source for the whole system unlike Kivor etc.
dlorde

Post by dlorde »

Rem wrote:We also work with Sonos, Escient, Slim Devices agmonst others and where possible look to hard wire for consistency and reliability and last but not least sound quality! 8)
I can see the arguments for consistency and reliability, but are you saying a wireless digital datastream will somehow sound different from a wired one (other things being equal), or is it that wireless won't support the highest resolution formats ?
markus

Post by markus »

rowlandhills wrote: Does it actually provide other RoomAmp functionality? i.e. the ability to connect to sources in the Main room over Knekt, or can this device only playback networked data files, and is just using Knekt for control panels?
NO, nothing! just a network input to connect to an NAS somewhere. no other knekt-functionality. so i don't really now how this fits in the linn product range. it is a completly new thing. so the question is what linn will expect from it. maybe some entry level product and "door opener", but there is no real upgrade path. you can't start with a sneaky DS and later upgrade to knekt to also "stream" analogue audio from other rooms.

NO WLAN due to reliability, performance and such.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Okay. That was my understanding, I was just somewhat suprised by the references to it being a direct replacement for a RoomAmp, since it loses the ability which the RoomAmp had to access any other Knekt sources...

Thanks.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
audiokaas

add info

Post by audiokaas »

Suddenly the linnds and sneakyds sites are under construction so info is sparse.

Just lifted this off the german Linn forum, danke... :lol:

http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm

Gilad introduding the sneakyDS and confirming the open source policy

enjoy.
qweos

Post by qweos »

I was skeptical (maybe the eBay link...), but it's a real (official) Linn product: Linn also mention it at their new Linn Online Store:

- Read this cable overview
- Listed at the remotes section too.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »