Linn Sneaky Music DS Network Music Player

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, it is. We just received the new price list today and the Sneaky Music DS is $2000 in the US.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I listened to it today...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

And...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:And...
Indeed!
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Well, I think it's a very exciting product. Its source part is supposed to sound better than Majik CD (that's an official standpoint and Linn are usually quite conservative when comparing with older models) and the integrated volume control and power amp (seems like a Roomamp 2) makes it very flexible and useable.

It has actually made me rethink the specifications of a product I am working on. I would rather have my products working together and complementing the Linn range, than competing by offering similar functionality.

I briefly heard the Sneaky DS driving a pair of Katans. I was not overly impressed, but it wasn't bad either. I expect the source to be really good, but am unsure of how the volume and power amp parts compare to the standalone products (old and new). I will tell you more once I've given it a more thorough listen and/or compared it with other equipment.
ericpike

Post by ericpike »

How easy is it to browse a large music collection with Linn's DS range? I see the DS comes with software, but I wouldn't want to use a PC in order to change albums etc. Can the DS be controlled by a pocket PC or something similar, without the need for having the PC powered up? From the site below it appears that something of this sort is available, but in classic Linn style, I couldn't find anything information on Linn's website discussing it.

http://web.mac.com/lewispaul/Site_3/How_It_Works.html
Juuso

Post by Juuso »

We just got our Sneakey demo unit to the store and I must say I'm impressed! I'm also driving them through the Katans.

It is a wonderful source as well as a great stand-alone for its price. The amp doesn't compete with the Majik-i but it sounds fantastic anyway.the sound Is a little darker and smaller than with the Majik Range,but it does kick some serious PRAT. It puts many amps triple the price from other vendors to shame.

Juuso
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Juuso wrote:The amp doesn't compete with the Majik-i but it sounds fantastic anyway.
Welcome Juuso! :D Have you done any comparations between the "DS" - player and any CD players? It is said to be better than Majik CD (but this is still to be confirmed) and not as good as Akurate CD but what about the Unidisks? Is it on pair with 2.1..?
Juuso

Post by Juuso »

The Sneaky is still in it burning in process. In my opinion it is not yet as good as the Majik, but its getting better. With studio masters it sounds allready better.
Juuso
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have not yet experienced the Sneaky DS but thought I would pass along a comment or two from Ivor on it. I was talking to him a couple of days ago and asked how he would rank the Sneaky DS compared to the current CD players. Although he prefers demonstrations to talking about sound he said it was well above the Majik CD and indicated it was close to the Akurate CD. Considering the comments from a couple of the posters on the Linn forum that rank it above the Akurate CD (and even the CD12) it certainly sounds like a formidable piece of equipment.

He also was quite clear that Linn was very dedicated to Open Standards. We had a very interesting conversation about the computer and consumer electronics industries (I spent a number of years selling and supporting computers - mainly Macintosh) where we covered all the failures of closed systems over the years from things like the demise of DEC (once a major force in the computer industry) up through the failure of SACD to garner real market share. As usual Ivor was quite charming and persuasive.

Ivor will be making a couple more visits to the US to conduct seminars and will be holding one at our store on the second of those visits (the timing didn't work out well for the first one). I will post a notice when we have a date.
Per A

Post by Per A »

I've got one!

:D

Ripped two cds but can't get them to the speakers yet.

Do I have run Twonky when I am only using my pc as storage?
I can't click and drag files into Lnn' GUI anyway, PHEW
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Hi Per, yes you still need Twonky to serve audio from a pc, you can download a 30 day free trial from the twonky website, install it on your pc (linux, windows, nas) and try it!

..or try Media Tomb if you have a linux based server...
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Ah, so it's possible to use a PC instead of NAS? The way I read the info on Linn's site it seemed that it would only run from a NAS setup. Running from a PC would save a fair bit on the additional costs.

Mick.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, it can definitely run from a PC. An NAS is only needed if you want to be able to serve music files without your computer running. Of course, if you get one with multiple drives and RAID capability you are making the files safer as well.

I thought that the DS products included a Twonky license - is this not true of the Sneaky DS?
Per A

Problems encountered when setting up a network with Sneaky

Post by Per A »

No I don't find a Twonky license. It ought to have been on the accompanying CD. They charged 30 euros for it.
Still the Sneaky is not working so I am making a list of my problems and hopefully their solutions.
  • 1 First of all I get a home network running for the first time. It seems to be working. At the moment two firewalls are enabled Windows domain and in Panda Antivirus. IP-adresses are given automatically.
    2 Installed Linn GUI. It works ie can be started.
    3 Installed Ripstation. It worked yesterday and two cds could be ripped but today I get the message "Unable to enable Autorun"
    4 Installed TwonkyMedia on my hard-disc. When clicking "Run TwonkyMedia" the icon pops up on my screen for a second and the disappears. I have no sign it's running.
I found a clue in http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=288

"I finally found what was going on with Twonky and got it to work! In the 'Music Tree' screen there is a new 'custom' option in the 'pull-down' menu that needs to be selected prior to saving the configuration. In the Linn A-DS installation manual the selected option is 'Advanced Configuration'.

After saving it, go to the 'Naming' screen and delete all those fields you don't want to be shown on LinnGUI. " Will try this.

It works now!
I had to click to configure Twonky to content location C:\Local Audio

I have to say the instructions are not very good.
It remains to solve no. 3.
The solution was given by ripfactory:
http://ripfactory.helpserve.com/index.p ... up=default[/url]

Sound is fabulous I traded my Ikemi and don't regret it for a second. :D
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Interesting, as I currently use an Ikemi and would like the quality to be at least as good.
I know it sounds penny-pinching but it would be nice if a version without power amps was on sale!
As it doesn't have wireless, has anyone tried connecting to their network via powerline? My pc with router is in my loft; the hi-fi in my front room, so that would be a long way to run CAT5!
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Oh, and another question! Is it possible to use an XDA running PocketPC for the gui, instead of a Nokia N800 type of thing?
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

ThomasOK wrote:I thought that the DS products included a Twonky license - is this not true of the Sneaky DS?
No, it does not include a license (it should!!!)

8)
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Per A

Impressions after one week with Sneaky ds

Post by Per A »

Still happy. Just listened to Stones' get yer yayas out like never before.

Easy to hear lyrics an guitars. And Keith's singing too.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Per, do you use it as a source only?

If the answer is yes, have you tried the internal volume and power amp as well?
Per A

Post by Per A »

Yes Fredrik I use Sneaky as source only. In the shop it was set up with an Exotik (like I have), LK140 and Komponents including the sub. It sounded fabulous. I made my decision in 2 minutes.
Then the dealer "enabled" the sneaky's preamp and bypassed the exotik and I still thought it sounded good but didn't really focus on that. They said it was like Linn Kolektor.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have given the Sneaky DS some more listening now. I can understand that you made your mind up in 2 minutes, Per!

Today I compared it as a source to an Akurate CD and in my opinion, the Sneaky DS is slightly better. They are very close in quality but sound a bit different: The Akurate CD is well controlled but is holding the music back a bit. The Sneaky DS feels like it lets everything out, but lacks a bit in control. Overall, I found the DS a bit more tuneful and enjoyable.

I have not yet compared the Sneaky DS against a CD12, but my guess is that the CD12 is a bit better. Considering this, the Sneaky DS value for money is nothing but sensational!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

WOW :shock:
It's all about musical understanding!
Klinnsmann

Post by Klinnsmann »

lejonklou wrote:I have given the Sneaky DS some more listening now. I can understand that you made your mind up in 2 minutes, Per!

Today I compared it as a source to an Akurate CD and in my opinion, the Sneaky DS is slightly better. They are very close in quality but sound a bit different: The Akurate CD is well controlled but is holding the music back a bit. The Sneaky DS feels like it lets everything out, but lacks a bit in control. Overall, I found the DS a bit more tuneful and enjoyable.

I have not yet compared the Sneaky DS against a CD12, but my guess is that the CD12 is a bit better. Considering this, the Sneaky DS value for money is nothing but sensational!
Does this mean that the Sneaky is almost as good as the Akurate DS? I see very little room for the Majik DS.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Klinnsmann wrote:Does this mean that the Sneaky is almost as good as the Akurate DS? I see very little room for the Majik DS.
Welcome Klinnsmann! :D

The Akurate DS is, as far as I understand, better than CD12.

Another thing is that I think that it is extremely difficult to judge "how big" a difference is. One good example is that when Ikemi was launched it was "almost as good as CD12" today there are five CD-players from Linn in this "almost" range.