New cartridge needed!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

New cartridge needed!

Post by beck »

My Klyde is worn out and I would like a cheaper but somewhat simular sounding cartridge. I use a Linto so what am I looking for?
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New cartridge needed!

Post by matthias »

beck wrote:My Klyde is worn out and I would like a cheaper but somewhat simular sounding cartridge. I use a Linto so what am I looking for?
I like very much my EMT cartridge, you can use it with the Low Gain on your Linto, but I am not sure if it is really cheaper than a Klyde.

KR Matt
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

An alternative idea, what about moving to the Gaio/Adikt as a long-term cost effective solution? Perhaps the long term savings could justify a upgrade to your deck and offset any loss in musicality. Lingo 1 to 2 is well worth doing. You'd lose the
Linto though and I know you love your LK boxes.

The Dynavector DV20 is held in quite high regard, but never compared it to the Klyde.

If you are happy with the Klyde then you need to be really careful what you do. Saving a relatively small amount might bring you a lot of grief. You could easily regret it. Definitely dem any alternatives is my advise.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Was going to suggest Dynavector DV-20X2L, but Charlie beat me to it... I agree with him that Adikt (or 2M Black) & Gaio might be worth an audition as an alternative to replacing your moving coil cart & keeping the Linto.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Maybe listen to a Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III - I have not heard one, and wouldn't know how they compare, but they are well regarded and certainly cheaper than a Klyde.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Yes, changing cartridge is not an easy task. Thank you for your answers. I will think about it and try to get a chance to listen to one or two of the ones you have pointed out to me.
Playing cd’s…………
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

I'll think you'll find the DV fits the bill perfectly. Must be the low output version for use with your Linto.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If you are wanting to stick with your Linto I think the DV20X2L (low output version) is your best alternative. Blue point is Ok but does not perform musically at Adikt/DV20 level. It is also high output so would need a different phono stage. Same goes for the DV10x5 - not as musical/high output. There was a time when the AT-OC9 MkII was quite cheap and it was decent sounding, although again IMO not in the league of the Adikt but then it was about half the price and wasn't nasty like most cheap MCs. However, it has been replaced by the AT-OC9 MkIII which I haven't heard and has risen into the Adikt/DV20 pricing region.

Best to give a listen to both the Adikt and DV20X2L if possible to make up your own mind.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

I just took in a Dynavector DV-20X2H. Less than six months old, still sat on an Ittok and Hercules LP12. Cartridge wasn't supplied by us said to be £600, gave him £350 so that's the price - PM the owner "resovoir"on the linn forum to double check. He was happy until he heard our deck :-) Chris
I demo'd into his adsm then Uphorik and the High Output was fine.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Not buying used and not in a hurry even though the headline could give that impression but thank you for the offer. Regards
Playing cd’s…………
Linnism

Post by Linnism »

DV20X2L is lovely, while the stylus profile is sensitive to vinyl condition (I'm talking here about overt groove damage or bad wear). Both the Klyde and Adikt seem more tolerant of that (my comments are based on client feedback). If your records are new, or in top condition, then I feel fairly safe recommending DV20X2L. I don't recommend a rebuilt Klyde, but your dealer would offer a good exchange price against a new one from Linn (subject to Linn terms and conditions). Good luck, and happy listening.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great photos on your website Linnism. Did you take them? Don't suppose you were a Linn/Naim dealer in Sydney in the early 90's were you?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Just an update. I have made the safe bet by ordering a new Klyde. I just love the way it plays music. I have used a lot of time on the www reading about many different cartridges and been speculating a lot but in the end it just boils down to me not even stopping listening to my records with a worn Klyde (I know I should stop!).
So no experiments this time around. Maybe next time!

Thank you all for a helpful place to discuss this expensive, crazy and lovely hobby!
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounds like a good decision. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your music collection.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Great photos on your website Linnism.
Agree! Lovely pics.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote:Just an update. I have made the safe bet by ordering a new Klyde.
Sometimes it's good to play safe. For instance when comparisons are really complicated.
Linnism

Post by Linnism »

Thanks re photos. Charlie, no connection to Sydney.
Beck, Re new Klyde: probably the best choice, IMHO. I actually came back to mention that I recently had someone swap from a DV20X2L (he's had 2 of them) to the Adikt and he felt it was, for him, an overall improvement (IE, not in every way). However, he mostly buys vintage vinyl, so that was a factor in his result.
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Linnism wrote: 2015-07-25 02:01 Thanks re photos. Charlie, no connection to Sydney.
Beck, Re new Klyde: probably the best choice, IMHO. I actually came back to mention that I recently had someone swap from a DV20X2L (he's had 2 of them) to the Adikt and he felt it was, for him, an overall improvement (IE, not in every way). However, he mostly buys vintage vinyl, so that was a factor in his result.
Sorry for waking up an old thread but it responded well to my search need and experience. I bought a DV20X2L based on the massive recommendation on FB page of LP12 and I was not very impressed. Tracking well and sort of details in there as well but the music did not carry me over.
Compared with Adikt/2 it was basically a bit boring for musical enjoyment. Comparison made both with internal phone stage of Akurate DSM/1 as well as Uphorik for the Dynavector and Rega phono stage of some sort for the Adikt.
In both set ups the Adikt was more fun = there are details present that influences the tune. Hence moving the DV20 along.
(LP12 details in this set-up: new Majik LP12 upgraded with recapped Lingo 1 and, Ittok LVII).
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

beck wrote: 2015-07-24 21:10 Just an update. I have made the safe bet by ordering a new Klyde. I just love the way it plays music. I have used a lot of time on the www reading about many different cartridges and been speculating a lot but in the end it just boils down to me not even stopping listening to my records with a worn Klyde (I know I should stop!).
So no experiments this time around. Maybe next time!

Thank you all for a helpful place to discuss this expensive, crazy and lovely hobby!
Wise move Beck ,it's one of my favourite cartridges ,didn't realise Linn still made them.I found Goldring 1042 or something, similar sounding
I know that tune
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

That actual post from Beck dated from 2015 so I think Klyde being still available from Linn is now a thing of the past too.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

mrco99 wrote: 2022-01-17 19:10 That actual post from Beck dated from 2015 so I think Klyde being still available from Linn is now a thing of the past too.
Ah copy mrco99
I know that tune
knoslean

Post by knoslean »

But if Klyde is an option, this store seems to still have it in stock: https://taktoton.com/linn-klyde.html . I stumbled upon the Klyde while looking for some Linn gear in Dec 2021, before prices were raised.
LP12 | Entity | Källa | Sagatun 1.7 | Tundra 2 |  Boenicke W8