Linn Ittok LVIII Mk 1 or Ekos Mk 1?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

dwm

Linn Ittok LVIII Mk 1 or Ekos Mk 1?

Post by dwm »

Hello,

I am looking at upgrading my LP12 from Akito Mk1 to either an Ittok LVIII Mk 1 or Ekos Mk 1.The arms are from a reputable dealer, not EBay.

I am looking at listening to both on the turntable before choosing, but would appreciate thoughts and advice on this upgrade.

My LP12 has has a cirkus upgrade and Lingo power supply and has a Adikt cartridge.

Regards
Robert Lake

Re: Linn Ittok LVIII Mk 1 or Ekos Mk 1?

Post by Robert Lake »

There is one simple answer here. The Ekos is one big step up from the Ittok. I ordered an Ittok to my LP12, but changed my mind the day after. I have never regretted that decision. An arm is something that lasts a long time so you have plenty of time to write down your investment.

However, there are issues with used equipment. For an untrained person like me, these issues are not easy to observe. I know that some dealers in the 90s used to tighten the arm very very firmly, which caused damages to the arm because it was not constructed for this type of pressure. If the LP12 have been carried around with securing the platter, the arm can be damaged.

If you listen make sure to increase to volume, without playing a record, and listen for earth hum. Hum is likely caused by some cables in the arm being squeezed for some reason. If you can compare with some Ekos arm with a good know history, you can make a fair comparsion. Otherwise, you have to take the risk.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Ittok LVIII Mk 1 or Ekos Mk 1?

Post by David Neel »

Conventional wisdom has it that subchassis and power supply upgrades will have a bigger effect than the tonearm. Ask your dealer to demo these upgrades as well as the arm, then make your mind up. Unless your Akito is damaged, you may be surprised. Also, these upgrades don't have bearings, so can be a very safe secondhand purchase!

In your position, I would also look at the Roksan Nima. I've got no personal knowledge of it, but it is rated highly by many. I wouldn't expect it to match an Ekos, but with the money saved compared to an Ekos, you should be close to affording a Kore sub-chassis, and Kore/Nima may well be much better than Ekos alone.

You will need to listen first, and only then choose.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty