We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Preamps with DSs

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote:
donuk wrote:Do you know, some evenings I have been so confused that I have been reduced to just putting the HiFi on and listening to the music and relaxing....
LOL!

You don't need tunedem Don - it's just a short cut anyway. Sounds like you're doing fine without it. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Discussing Hi-Fi is one hobby. Enjoying listening music is another. One engages my mind, the other satisfies an entirely different need that's hard to articulate without sounding like a hippy. I guess making music is something different again, but unlike yourself I don't know much about that, unless you count the recorder at school :)
Hear Hear!

Loved your quote too, Donuk!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Does anyone have a copy of Davaar 30 for the KDS/2?

It's been removed from the Linn download site and I'd like to go back to it!
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I have an answer from Linn about "new fallback firmware required" concern.

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid361451

Apologies to OP about slight digression.
Oh, it's, err, me....
.....forgiven

Donuk
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

The thing about this different firmware is the same as space imo. Who are we, or in this case, Linn the ones to say which firmware produces the most accurate musical reproduction? I find it utterly baffling that some of the more recent firmwares sound worse than older ones? Who listens to them and decides, 'yeah that's better'.
I'm also very wary of any new ds firmwares that are released. I can't help but wonder if they're 'specially tuned' to sound better without a pre amp. Or in Ozzzy speak, 'gimped'.
This is something I do think about. I've always just updated my ds as the file became available but now I think it'd be pretty good if we had a thread dedicated to the ds firmware and which one the Lejonklou members preferred and I'd love to hear Fredrik's and some of the other highly respected members views on this.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Kinda gives a whole new appreciation to just dropping a stylus in the groove!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

You're not wrong Thomas!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

donuk wrote:Mats is indeed correct - heard it myself too. And a thought provoking point.

I have been wrestling with putting my Majik Kontrol ahead of my ADS/1. It has been plugged in and out several times over the weeks.

The trouble is that I do not trust my ears any more! All this discussion about tunedem, the advent of SPACE and Linn's latest announcements have caused a flurry of aural activity in the Donuk household.

Do you know, some evenings I have been so confused that I have been reduced to just putting the HiFi on and listening to the music and relaxing....

Having said that has anybody with a decent set of ears tried the latest beta firmware? That is Davaar 31, 4.31.1267. Interestingly it comes with the note: new fallback firmware required. Does that mean that fallback no longer works for us, and how do we get new fallback firmware? Suggests they are doing something radical?

That aside, I installed 4.31.1267, and felt that the ADS had a different presentation. I would like the view of my more learned friends. For me it made the internal volume control sounds excellent. Perhaps Linn have got their firmware in line with what they are preaching.
And so it goes on....
Don beautiful downtown York
Don, not sure with what's going on with the Tune Dem malarkey, but Davaar 30 on a KDS is pants!!!

EDIT: Sorry - posted after having had one too many G&T's!

I meant "Davaar 31 on a KDS is pants".
Last edited by Spannko on 2015-06-20 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Davaar 30 can be dangerous on any DS!

Linn have officially withdrawn 29 and 30 due to a slight risk of completely "bricking" your DS! Apparently it's not an issue if successfully running now, but they don't recommend upgrading to 29 or 30 if you're on an earlier version.

See this thread:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=30675
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Oh dear, Linn are on a roll... I think I'll leave mine as it is. We still need a DS firmware thread. Is there one?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

donuk wrote:...

<RANT>
It is just that I am a bit sensitive about the words "tune demmer" because:
1) I have more or less disqualified myself from being one, and still prefer this forum.
2) In some parts if the hifi community to declare oneself as a "tunedemmer" is a passport to hifi seriousness, credibility, coolness and sophistication. There is no other route.
3) I have met a number of self-styled tunedemmers over the years, often the more noisy ones, who haven't a clue what they are listening to, or talking about, and could not tell a tune if they were hit over the head with a minim.
4) There maybe somewhere else in the known world a few individuals who are good judges of reproduced music by just listening.
</RANT>

Don sunny downtown York (just had lunch in the garden).
Hi Don, I hope York continues to be sunny & treating you well...

Your recent posts & concerns about the term tunedem have been nagging at me, not least because of sympathy for the raw nerve, but also due to the fact that I too am not clear on exactly what it means to use tunedem as a technique. It's a little intimidating to me that there are those on this forum who are so accomplished at creating & tuning hi-fi systems and discerning subtle musical differences while, at the same time, frustrating that the term tunedem can be used to give credence to opinions & carry apparent weight in contradiction to one's own ears, and opposition between tunedemmers.

I found beck's post on the Just listen! thread to be great, especially since it goes to the heart of what we're listening to: music, rather than how we listen, whether for enjoyment or for comparative (tunedem) purposes.

I've read a good few explanations of what is tunedem, and don't know if I really get it, or not, but, like you, "I still prefer this forum" For me, though, I am not ready to disqualify myself as a tunedemmer. My reason for hanging in there, other than pig-headed belligerence, is that there may be some degree of general agreement within this forum in describing the tunedem process, but I am not convinced that there is consistency in how individuals apply the process, and there are 'self declared tunedemmers' out there too... It's better here, and I like that it's stated that comparisons & discussions should be; should only be based on tunedem - there has to be some standard, as best as can be established but, personally, I try to keep separate the term & the process: it's easy to declare oneself a tunedemmer, but the term means nothing, the process is the essential part, yet I've struggled to pick up a clear, single description of the process to be clear that there's consistent understanding of the process, much less application of it. Still, it's much, much better here than 'out there'.

While on a recent trip to Ottawa, I was fortunate enough to be in a pub as a jazz band was setting up, and was part way through a pint and a conversation as the band got into their stride - then it struck me that I had been listening to, processing, and appreciating the music while continuing the conversation, and this is when a few thoughts & ideas came together, starting with your post about tunedem, listening to notes, and how instruments sounded. I had not been listening, but my ears and my brain had been just listening for me... and enjoying the music, even though I'm not really a jazz-fan. What struck me, other than the alcohol content of the beer, was how well the band were playing together, and how good the music was that they were creating together. The point was that my ears & brain were hearing the parts but listening to the whole, and that's what reminded me of your struggles, concerns, and rants about tunedem, and your musician's sensitivities with tunedem: term & process . Putting aside the term, and thinking about the process, my belief is that the point of tunedem is that it is not deconstructive. It's not about separating out the parts, listening to particular notes or instruments; it's about listening to the sum of the parts: the tune; the music.

Where I am going with this is that I can see that a musician's description of music may be different, and may focus on the elements of the music, but I don't believe that to be at odds with 'tunedem'. Why? Because good musicians are about knowing the elements of a song, listening to them individually to ensure that you're in time & in tune with the rest of the band and, most importantly, about putting all the elements together to make good/great music. So I don't see a disconnect between your way of listening and tunedem.

In attempt to avoid this being completely off-topic, this is what I get from a good preamp: it puts it all together to make music, rather than presenting it all separately maybe with better leading edge, or sustain, or more accurate timbre, or whatever - if it doesn't all come together, if something is out of place, then it doesn't work for me. That, for me, is my understanding of tunedem: the parts being easy to follow and coming together as a tune, not separate constructs that the listener has to put together for themselves.

If that's wrong then I'm not a tunedemmer, and won't label myself as such, but I like it here, and I'm not about to disqualify myself from this forum either. If I'm asked to leave, then that's another matter ;)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Bullseye!
Playing cd’s…………
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Thanks Tokenbrit for your thoughtful and consoling words!

So, can I Tunedem? Answer, Probably.

Actions speak louder than words:

As I have already reported I attended the north of England performance of the Fredrik 2015 UK Roadshow, chez Ozzzy. I followed each of the “improvements” throughout the evening until we ended up with a Klimax streamer, and full double mono Lejonklou boxes. The Lion’s claws were fully splayed!

Subsequent to this, Ozzzy (who you will have gathered is more than mildly enthusiastic about “Freddy-boxes” as he calls them), came with his lovely lady as house guests last weekend; together with his boxes. The four of us spend a great evening with the aid of liquid refreshment and an Italian meal.

To cut a long story short, as a result of this I have a Tundra on order, in preference to my Akurate 2200. And it is muuuuuch better.

And Tunedem – well having listened in the presence of Chris Fuller, Ozzzy, and the celebrated Mr L, I find myself liking what they like: the tunefulness of bass lines and guitar riffs, the way individual notes open and close, the ease with which I can pick out the tune, and the easy digestibility of the whole musical presentation.
So if my listening methods reach the same goals as the professional tunedemmers, who cares what I call it.....?

Donuk, overcast but melodic downtown York

PS to keep this reply sort of relevant, I should point out that I prefer my Akurate DS/1 going straight into the Tundra to the previous arrangement of ADS / Majik Kontrol / 2200D. No doubt Ozzzy will point out an obvious upgrade path.....
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

donuk wrote:I prefer my Akurate DS/1 going straight into the Tundra to the previous arrangement of ADS / Majik Kontrol / 2200D
Interesting (as was the rest of your post, to be fair).

So in your case, a Tundra 2.0 (stereo) is actually replacing both a Majik Kontrol and a 2200/D?

As you say, Ozzzy (and others) will doubtless point out that a Sagatun would be a great upgrade. I will leave it to your ears and wallet to consider that view...
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Yes, rowlandhills, as a substantial upgrade I have just got the ADS into the Tundra - as you say, for the moment!
And I now prefer SPACE switched off.
Don
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Now you just need to buy a Sondek and you are home free! ;-)

But then again, that means buying more stuff to connect it to the system! Maybe not. :-)

On a serious note: the way you discribe the sound from your new system tells me that you got it right! Congratulation with your new Tundra.
Playing cd’s…………
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

donuk wrote:And I now prefer SPACE switched off.
And again you slip in a very interesting point almost as an afterthought!

Given that your room and your speakers are unchanged, do you think that there is a difference caused by the amplifier, or is it that you've slightly changed what you're listening for, or what's caused you to change your view on SPACE?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Hi rowlandhills,
This is a most enjoyable thread going all over the place covering much that is topical.

I have to trust my ears. Although the Tundra is in theory less powerful than the 2200, it goes deeper, into my Spendor A6s, via 2.48m of K200. Somehow the bass part of the spectrum is less congested, and the various notes come out in different places rather than in a soggy lump which has to be attenuated. I am exaggerating of course.

Another reason may be that I am now running the Tundra more quietly, because (ticking the tunedem boxes), the musical experience is more accessible. I think I am playing the Tundra really quite loud, but according to my wife, I am not!

I also use to use SPACE to take a little bit of treble sparkle off the 2200. the Tundra has spade loads of treble, bit conveys detail without being tiresome.

I am sorry if I have turned this thread into one of obsequious boot-licking eulogies which pollute many of the HiFi forums, but this an amazing piece of kit, which I did not plan on buying. I will try to shut up for a while, and leave no interesting closing comment.
Don sunny downtown York.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

☺☺☺
Here's my brief assessment, I hope don is OK with this.
I think don thought he needed space and that his room was a little bit of a problem. It wasn't really. When I arrived I found that music had lost emotion and sparkle. Turning off space brought it back a little bit but I can understand why don was using it. Bass was too thick and muddled not quite boomy but certainly not tuneful. All I did were a few small tweaks and plugged in the tundra. Say hello to tuneful bass and a cheekiness, with a little bit of sparkle that the sound needed. The music was back. It was very good and much better than before. Space on = yuk. Space off =yummy!
Anyway, we then tried the sagatun and that's when I thought I'd need to run off and find a defibrillator as don got up so fast and buggered off shouting for his Mrs to come and hear the music! The saxophone was in the room right there and I admit it was great seeing don's reaction and I felt great that he agreed with me. A special evening my friend and I look forward to Friday evening.
All the best
Ozzzy.
(for the record, sagatun monos are the only way to go!)
Well, I think sell the ads1 and buy a kds1 renew maybe.
Chapelier

Post by Chapelier »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Oh dear, Linn are on a roll... I think I'll leave mine as it is. We still need a DS firmware thread. Is there one?
Hi Ozzy,

I recently experimented the down side of firmware updates, and yes, a firmware thread would be benefic. But what scares me is the possibility that a certain firmware sounds good on a RDS/0, but not on a ADS/1, and so on, and so on...
KRDSM/1 -> Akurate Exaktbox 10 -> A4200 -> Ninka
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Or maybe even have one that sounds worse if you're using an external non linn pre amp, is that possible? Scary thought but one for the conspiracy theorists.
Chapelier

Post by Chapelier »

hah..!
KRDSM/1 -> Akurate Exaktbox 10 -> A4200 -> Ninka
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

They'd be Konspiracy theorists, wouldn't they? ;)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hahaha, you're krakking me up right there!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'm using Davaar 19 Build 799 in my KRDS/1 with Sagatuns & Tundra Monos (1.1 & 2.0) - sounds fine to me: if it ain't broKe, don't fiKs it :)

I don't need Tidal (in 23) and would use 19 and Songcast instead. I don't want Space (in 25) and don't have the extra ear needed; just the L&R stereo pair, not the final front ear... After that the releases (boldly? badly?) go where no-one's system* needs to go** :)

* non-Exakt
** unless you have a Majik DS-I and Majik DSM/0, then you might need Davaar 27 - that DVC (Damned Volume Control ;) again...
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

tokenbrit wrote:...

While on a recent trip to Ottawa, I was fortunate enough to be in a pub as a jazz band was setting up, and was part way through a pint and a conversation as the band got into their stride - then it struck me that I had been listening to, processing, and appreciating the music while continuing the conversation, and this is when a few thoughts & ideas came together, starting with your post about tunedem, listening to notes, and how instruments sounded. I had not been listening, but my ears and my brain had been just listening for me... and enjoying the music, even though I'm not really a jazz-fan. What struck me, other than the alcohol content of the beer, was how well the band were playing together, and how good the music was that they were creating together. The point was that my ears & brain were hearing the parts but listening to the whole, and that's what reminded me of your struggles, concerns, and rants about tunedem, and your musician's sensitivities with tunedem: term & process . Putting aside the term, and thinking about the process, my belief is that the point of tunedem is that it is not deconstructive. It's not about separating out the parts, listening to particular notes or instruments; it's about listening to the sum of the parts: the tune; the music.

Where I am going with this is that I can see that a musician's description of music may be different, and may focus on the elements of the music, but I don't believe that to be at odds with 'tunedem'. Why? Because good musicians are about knowing the elements of a song, listening to them individually to ensure that you're in time & in tune with the rest of the band and, most importantly, about putting all the elements together to make good/great music. So I don't see a disconnect between your way of listening and tunedem.

In attempt to avoid this being completely off-topic, this is what I get from a good preamp: it puts it all together to make music, rather than presenting it all separately maybe with better leading edge, or sustain, or more accurate timbre, or whatever - if it doesn't all come together, if something is out of place, then it doesn't work for me. That, for me, is my understanding of tunedem: the parts being easy to follow and coming together as a tune, not separate constructs that the listener has to put together for themselves.

If that's wrong then I'm not a tunedemmer, and won't label myself as such, but I like it here, and I'm not about to disqualify myself from this forum either. If I'm asked to leave, then that's another matter ;)
Good post!

If I may fill in I believe this also explains why better systems are more difficult to set up than inferior ones. A system able to resolve and present details in a way that they are easy to listen in to (hear as separate sounds) has to be much more precise adjusted so that all the minuscle parts does not, at any time show up as not following the rest of the music. That also explains why source first is so important, because the input signal to the playback has to have an advantage, or be better hat the palyback otherwise the playback will show up the imperfections in the source signal. This in turns has led me to believe that source first also can be seen as speaker or playback last approach to be equally valid approach. Even the simpler sources (not the bad ones, but the well tuned). less sophisticated sources can make an appreciated musically when partnered with the right playback. Partnering with a too resolving playback gives a more resolved sound, but much less convinsing musically.

When one hear everything, everything has to sit perfectly in the mix.

Now this has become a bit complicated. Up until some 20 years ago (I would say) most studio equipment where on par or better than most home hifi, but I would say that now-adays it is the other way around - with some brands - and that makes it a bit difficult. Typically things are rather compromised in the studios. There are a vast amount of cables (not as good as the best for domestic hifi), connectors etc and most studio monitoring systems are inferior to the best domestic systems. Lucklily the mixing producers have a BIG advantage that they can pin point or isolate single instruments and cross listen to any other instrument or just lift up a single element in the music to hear how it sits within the context. This seriously reduces the requirements to some extent, but when striving for the perfection many hear strives for I think we have crossed a line where the monitoring possibilities limits the mixing engineers abilities to make the perfect adjustments, in the same way and to the same accuracy it is now possible to achieve with the best domestic hifi systems. I am in great admiration for the mixing engineers hearing abilities. Long years of experience, I gather, makes a great difference in this respect.

I agree that most recordings always are better that one would expect, but having now made my own recordings and having some experience from live mixing I have come to realise that many recordings also show shortcomings (in one way or another), at least on the best systems. It sometimes comes across as a matter of taste, but also as a limitation in that the recording (e.g. the mix) does not let you hear what the musician actually do. The studio situation can, I suppose, also be a bit like when the hifi salesmen attend hifi-shows. There are not always very much time to decide which mic, pre-amp or cable (if ever thought of) to use for every recorded instrument. Much work is done, but considering the amount of work required making this as thoroughly as some here do things it would take years to make a record. Some have such resources and actually do invest the time and resources to do it this way, but most doesn't and it reflects on the end result.