Linn LK240 mono amplifiers

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Linn LK240 mono amplifiers

Post by beck »

Does anyone here know this amplifier and is it worth looking for as a replacement for my old LK100. I got my hands on a 2250 but it is going out the door again. I prefer the sound from the LK amps. I find the 2250 bordering on "out of tune" sound. The same goes for a late Kairn with smps that I listened to in my system and I do have a problem with the digital volume control.
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linn LK240 mono amplifiers

Post by lejonklou »

Hi beck!

Yes, you can certainly replace your LK100's with a pair of LK240. The same design in stereo is called AV5105 and the two sound quite similar to one another (=the mono pair is not that much better).

I was once told that the LK240/AV5105 project was called "LK200" at Linn. It does seem like a refined LK100 design with a doubled output stage. All discrete and big mains transformers.

You could also give Tundra a listen (I see there's one for sale second hand). I'd be interested to hear what you think of it! :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I once listened to a 5105 and found it sterile and boring but it was some years ago. Actually I am a bit sad if that is the case. I hoped to find something special with the LK240 as I have found a pair for sale. Well, the proof is in the listening so I might give them a chance. I will give your amps a listen as soon as possible!
Last edited by beck on 2015-05-03 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The LK240 is definitely the same circuit as the AV5105 and as Fredrik states not much better musically. It also needs the CAP upgrade recall done to it if it hasn't been done yet.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Still, I would guess that there is something wrong with your 2250, or something else in the system. I compared LK100 to 2200 quite extensively a couple of years ago and I cannot imagine anyone would prefer the LK100. It made the system sound really flat and lifeless in comparasion. That was 2200 and not 2250, but anyway: LK100 is a really old amplifier.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Yes, I would think the same if I had not been listening to this particular setup. I have done things to my setup that you not normally would do.
The power cord from my LK100 is plugged in between two powerfilters not as such using them but it makes a big difference to the sound. Non of my LK gear use their fuse (I unplug the gear at night) DO NOT DO THIS AT YOUR HOME! Everything is earthed and power cord direction is tested as well as the their place among the other cords.
The 2250 is not worse than my LK100 but I prefer the LK100. In my system it is just right.
The same with my Pretek (an undiscovered gem). When I filter the power, decouple the mm/mc inputs so they cannot send distortion into the rest of the preamp and use my Linto I get a clean, punchy, in tune, timing to die for sound, that is addictive. I even get a big soundstage from my setup!
A picture on how clean I have managed to get my setup sounding is that I with no problem or harshness can crank my Pretek to 3 o'clock playing loud, loud music.
Just keep the amp well away from the preamp. I prefer it to a late Kairn Pro that is too nice sounding!
I like the sound so much that if anything broke down, the first thing I would do was to replace the broken item with another from the second hand marked!

I can disco all night or listen to big symfonies with amazing punch from my little amp or enjoy the solo artist with her guitar equally well!
Playing cd’s…………
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Maybe the 2250 is highlighting a weak link up in the audio chain. What preamp are you using? My experience using old LK preamps with my 2250 was not very good. Switching to an Akurate Kontrol was an eye opener!
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I got great sound by combining a late Kairn Pro and my 2250. A bigger sound with more seperated detail.
But it is not to my liking and by saying this I will bring myself in opposition to many who like the "new" Linn sound. I am moving backwards to the sound of yesterday (when Ivor had his hands on the wheel).
I find it more musically satisfying.

A way to discribe it is that old Linn sound is like a red dot. New Linn is the same red dot now covering a bigger surface being not quite as highly red.
Playing cd’s…………