We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

New cd ripping software required

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi guys.
As someone 's paid for db power amp twice and will have to once again due to the company not responding to my log in struggles and refusal to answer any emails, I'm in the position where I need to get some help and advice on sorting out a new program.
It has to be simple and hassle free.
I tried ripping the new Marilyn Manson album with Windows media player, it took three attempts, I had to put it into wav, (i always use flac) and the ds wouldn't play it until I made a wav folder. There no artwork on half of the tracks, yet some have it and there's no album cover. This I just don't understand! There's also no artist title despite the text being present and correct and the folder having the artist name.
I lost db due to computers failing and I refuse to buy for the third time, especially when I was dealt with poorly on the previous occasion.
All advice is gratefully received.
Cheers.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
MisterH

Re: New cd ripping software required

Post by MisterH »

Hi Ozzzy

I use db Poweramp CD Ripper, which is free, never paid for anything for ripping. Can also use iTunes and rip to ALAC
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Sorry you feel that dbpoweramp have let you down, my own experiences with the company have been positive - when I ordered the wrong product they cheerfully amended the order.

Old advice on here is likely to tell you that EAC is the preferred ripping software. Whatever its merits, it's NOT user-friendly or fast. More recently, ThomasOK has found iTunes to ALAC to be his preferred ripping solution - see the thread in On the Inside.

Me? I've been using dbpoweramp, tried and rejected EAC due to usability/my ability to set it up, and have now got a plan to try iTunes when I next need to rip a batch of CDs, to compare with dbpoweramp. Then, if necessary, re-rip 250ish CDs.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lemanfan

Post by lemanfan »

I'm very happy with EAC ( http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ ). The "exact" part is actually needed with about 2-3% of my CDs, previous rips with CDex gave some broken rips without notifying me.

If the cover art or other meta data is not good enough, I use Mp3tag ( http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ) to adjust accordingly.

Both are free. Free software is good. :)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Thanks guys. I did have a free version of db but it ran out. I'm not going into the aggro I've had regarding my issue however. I'll look into the suggestions but bear in mind I've got nothing apple and probably never will, so iTunes kind of scares me in a way!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

No iThingies here either Ozzzy, and had a similar reluctance to try iTunes/ALAC, but it's super easy to use - we use it on a desktop running WinXP - and it sounds better to our ears... I'm in the process of building a replacement desktop with Win7, at which point I plan to (re)compare old iTunes on XP vs new iTunes on Win7 vs dbPowerAmp/FLAC, and may well start re-ripping my CDs to ALAC as time allows.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Ozzzy,

Over 5 years ago I also bought dbpoweramp as a special offer, about 15 euros at the time.
Ripped about 300 cds with it, and that was about it.
Then at some point it ran out of validity, so last year I bought the full version again.
I also had my computer renewed twice, maybe this is causing its malfunctioning?

To me, it still is simply the best ripping software out there, and as it's been updated and
improved over all these years, I think Spoon deserves some credit, and cash for his efforts too ;-)
I think once you've paid the full amount for the complete version you would have acces to the software without limitation. Payment should also be non-recurring.
Did you already inquire why it doesn't work in your case?

Cheers,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hello!
I've emailed them but had no replies. I tried to log in with my details but it won't work, I was told by them after I lost my log in details and computer HDD the first time it was tough luck and I had to buy again. Not happy!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Wouldn't have called it 'tough luck' but if you have lost login codes and the actual software it may get difficult to check for validity.
Still, they may see to improve customer service in this, as how difficult can it be to see if you paid for the full version before?

However, if you order through the Linn website / Software section, you should be able to apply for a discount, maybe this helps to soften the blow...
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Nature

Post by Nature »

Ozzzy189 wrote:I tried to log in with my details but it won't work
Can't you use "Registration Retrieval" to access your order number?
I can!

https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/lostorder.aspx
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

No, it doesn't work for some reason, but thanks for the help. My email address is not recognised for some reason.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Anyone compared in regards to musicality?
It's all about musical understanding!
Nature

Post by Nature »

Ozzzy189 wrote:
Nature wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote:I tried to log in with my details but it won't work
Can't you use "Registration Retrieval" to access your order number?
I can!

https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/lostorder.aspx
No, it doesn't work for some reason, but thanks for the help. My email address is not recognised for some reason.

When I try it with my registrated email address I can read:

Your Order Numbers:
123456789 dBpoweramp Reference R14.4 (Single PC)
123456789 Asset UPnP Premium R4.3

If I try with a one of my other email address I get:

No Order Found with Supplied Email Address

....wich I find fully understandable.

Haven't you saved any of your two previously email from noreply (at) dbpoweramp (dot) com with subject "Your dBpoweramp Order Confirmation"?

If not, I guess you will have do buy the software one more time.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Music Lover wrote:Anyone compared in regards to musicality?
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 041#p16041
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I'll try again, thank you for your help.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Try iTunes. It's free and sounds good. The only problem, that I can see, is getting artwork if you export straight to a NAS. iTunes doesn't do it natively, but there must be some software out there that'll do it. I'll see what I can find.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hey Ozzzy, As has been mentioned I tried dbPoweramp, EAC and iTunes some time ago and found iTunes more musical and also ALAC more musical than FLAC. This has been duplicated by at least a couple others. I know some people don't like Apple devices (although I've never been sure exactly why) but iTunes software is free and runs on Windoze machines as well. Even though I am a Mac guy my music resides on an LS-NAS to optimize musical quality and it runs on Windows 7 Home Premium Edition as Linnofil recommended. This is the machine I use for ripping and storing the music so it is with iTunes for Windows. However, others have found similar results on other versions of Windows and on Mac OS-X.

While iTunes doesn't have any exact rip type of facility I have had no problems with it and still find it the most musical. I suggest you give it a try.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Thanks boys. I'll certainly look at doing that when I get my laptop fixed.