DS to /2 upgrade

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

yellowelans4

Re: DS to /2 upgrade

Post by yellowelans4 »

Well I will try to help with your question Charlie1-

(The rub here is that I have carried out a digital vs analogue tunedem on both my KDS/1 and now of course the KDS/2 but I have not been able to do all of this at the same time for obvious reasons, so I am relying on my musical memory which is reasonable but not infallible.)

IMO:
KDS/2 will always be better than a KK/1 irrespective of connection type
Both KDS/1 and KDS/2 are better using an external good quality preamp - in my case a KK/1
In the KDS/2 comparison the gap - for me - was larger I believe
KDS/2 direct by tunedem is certainly not better than via KK/1

I could speculate that KDS/2 digital volume used with Exakt direct might be great but I have no personal experience so can't say
hope this helps
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Just for clarification...
yellowelans4 wrote:(The rub here is that I have carried out a digital vs analogue tunedem on both my KDS/1 and now of course the KDS/2
digital = using the inbuilt dig Volume control, right? But still using analogue out.
yellowelans4 wrote: KDS/2 will always be better than a KK/1 irrespective of connection type
I guess it's KDS/1 right? Not KK/1
yellowelans4 wrote: Both KDS/1 and KDS/2 are better using an external good quality preamp - in my case a KK/1
Good that you tested both KDS models. Can you share any insight whereas the difference between the inbuilt dig Volume control vs KK/1 has been reduced in KDS/2 due to a "better" inbuilt dig Volume control in KDS/2. As some have speculated...
yellowelans4 wrote: In the KDS/2 comparison the gap - for me - was larger I believe
Between the inbuilt dig Volume control vs KK/1 right? Compared with the inbuilt dig Volume control in KDS/1
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Yellowelans4
yellowelans4

Post by yellowelans4 »

To clarify ML-
Yes I am only commenting on the volume control type, as mentioned my system is analogue only no Exakt in use

Apologies - yes I meant KDS/1

next 2 questions:
No that is what I meant when I said the gap is larger for the KDS/2 - for me - the KDS/2 is a significant improvement to the KDS/1 and I was more aware of performance lost by using digital volume with it than I remember with the KDS/1 both with the same KK/1 and external kit - solos-350P - so I can't say I am aware of any evidence of an improved digital volume control in the KDS/2
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Good info, thanks!
It's all about musical understanding!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

When I sold my AK/1 and ordered the Sagatun Monos I had to use the internal volume control of the KDS/1 with the Tundra Monos 1. It sounded quite poor in comparision to the AK/1 and it took a few days for me to get used to the new sound.

The arrival of the Sagatun Monos confirmed how much better a good pre amp is than the internal volume of the KDS/1. Huge difference.

I have not tried the internal volume of the KDS/2 in my system with the TM2s but have listened to it at Anthonys with Klimax Twin and 350ps.

It sounded rather good - I am convinced it must be significantly better than the internal volume control in KDS/1, which I really struggled with.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Paultje

Post by Paultje »

The improvement is about the same as KDS/0 to KDS/1.
The music is just easier to understand. I have found that it needs time, either for the electronics to 'burn in' or my brain! Some tracks do sound harsh, with a slight edge. Of course, this could be the way they were recorded, so the KDS/2 maybe merely telling the truth. Time will tell.

Now who wants a Renew DS/1 ?

Paul.
Chapelier

Post by Chapelier »

Paultje wrote:Now who wants a Renew DS/1 ?

Paul.
Well if you don't know how to dispose of it, I can cover the shipping charges :-D
KRDSM/1 -> Akurate Exaktbox 10 -> A4200 -> Ninka
Paultje

Post by Paultje »

Cheeky! I won't be doing anything until I return from a short diving holiday in the Red Sea. So maybe a couple of weeks.

Paul.
jlzmusic

Re: DS to /2 upgrade need advices

Post by jlzmusic »

Hello,
Just another question and a need ofadvices how to upgrade, I own a KDS/1 and I wish to upgrade in KDS/2 version.
I also have an external DAC DCS Debussy and have the possibility to buy a demo DCS u-clock for a good price, do you think it is a good solution, instead to upgrade to upgrade to KDSM/2 and sell my Debussy ?
I’m living a long distance from my Linn dealer (also dealer of DCS) so it will not be possible for me to have a demo before I bring him my my KDS.
Prices will be probably in the same category
Thank you for advices.
Solution 1 : upgrade KDS/1 to KDS/2, keep my Debussy + buy demo u-clock
Solution 2 : upgrade KDS/1 to KDSM/2 and sell my DCS Debussy
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

And what about the MDSM/2 against old akurate DSM?
Is there a levelling in SQ between these?
Linn Akudoriks- Linn MDSM/2- Majik Exaktbox I - Blue Jeans cat6a
Lots of K400 speakercable