Streaming radio better than FM?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Streaming radio better than FM?

Post by David Neel »

I sold my Pekin over two years ago when I bought an ADS/1. Lately I have realised that I never listen to radio, whereas I used to listen to BBC Radio 3 a lot. So I dug out a very old 1980's Toshiba Aurex tuner and connected it up - and found that I did now listen to radio concerts. Then I saw a Pekin for sale cheap on another forum, and I bought it. It arrived yesterday, and I've listened to nothing else since - it is brilliantly engaging and musical.

By an amazing coincidence, it is the very same unit I sold, and seems to have had several owners in the meantime!

I never compared the Pekin to ADS/1 when I briefly had both, I just assumed that the ADS/1 would be better. (I'd read about people selling Kremlins to go KDS.) I've still not compared, because I don't care about the differences, I just know that I want to listen to BBC 3 on the Pekin, almost regardless of the music, and never had this feeling with ADS/1.

Anybody else found this? I recognise that most FM is below the quality of BBC Radio 3, but that and BBC Radio 4 are all that this old fart is likely to listen to.

Should I start looking for a Kremlin? (Not just yet, no money!)
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Streaming radio better than FM?

Post by ThomasOK »

I bought a Kremlin a few years ago. I honestly don't listen to it very often but when I do I am quite impressed with the musicality - much more than I have been by internet radio. Since the highest resolution internet radio is only slightly better than iTunes downloads, and most internet radio is much lower resolution than that with a huge number of stations streaming at 64kbps or 96kbps, this didn't particularly surprise me.

The biggest problem with FM radio in the US is that most of the stations are now owned by big conglomerates who only play country or classic rock with questionable quality and lots of loud advertisements. There used to be a lot of good music on public radio stations but about ten years ago the majority of those around here switched to talk radio. Fortunately a few have gone back to all or part music. There are two things that make me keep the Kremlin: one of the local radio stations puts out quality sound and broadcasts classical during the day and jazz at night. They also often do live broadcasts of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra from Orchestra Hall or other classical and jazz concerts from the Detroit Opera Theater and other venues. These can be quite compelling. I also always crank up the Kremlin around Christmas to listen to Christmas carols. So it is still worth keeping around.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I have as Pekin and an ADS/1.
The Pekin is better. Actually I do not keep it connected in my system because I used the FM only for speech and background music.
Donuk
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks, Don, it's good to know I'm not going mad - after all the fiddling about and comparisons I have done with the LSNAS and firmware for the ADS/1, and I didn't even think to compare radio!

Thomas, I think the low quality of much FM also exists here in the UK, but as I never listen to anything other than BBC R3 and R4 it doesn't impact me.

In the last two days I have also realised that I prefer using buttons or remote controls to select music, rather than diving into my phone or laptop for a control app. And the LK-series black boxes have an elegance and feel-good factor which the newer boxes don't match. If I'm not careful, I'll find myself looking for an Ikemi again....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

With a good antenna the Kremlin is very special. .Radio 3 live broadcasts are what does it for me or any live broadcast for that matter. ..That feeling of I have to listen to it now or miss it is what gives it that live special feeling..I think if you have a top antenna then you owe it to yourself to at least hear what it can do ..The aerial is the source .
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Lego, thank you. My aerial is not "top" - it's not a Ron Smith Galaxy - but I think it's a "good" aerial and I get signal strength of 50 on the Pekin for R3 and R4. It was a birthday present from my wife some years ago and carefully installed and adjusted for best signal. I hope to try a Kremlin at some point in the future, for now the Pekin is truly enjoyable.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

FM may have a sonic advantage, but I think something like Radio Paradise at 320kbps is a much better "source" of great music.

PS I've got a Ron Smith Galaxy 17 if anyone wants one.
Last edited by Spannko on 2015-03-02 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Good point Spannko! I listen to BBC 6Music more than any other station, and that's DAB or online only.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack