How do you like your second system?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

How do you like your second system?

Post by Charlie1 »

I work from home now and use my main system for background music on and off throughout the day. It's in another room, but turned up loud. The music is communicated very well down to my study and I feel I get much of my daily fix of music nourishment this way, even though I'm concentrating on work. The downside is that I'm using up Akiva life more than anticipated. And the Kandid replacement will be even more expensive.

I've never run a second system before. If I do, then it will be something like Sneaky and my K104's. Maybe a Rega P3 if I can't live with digital. My question is how do folks get on with lesser quality second systems? Do you just get used to the drop in enjoyment and kind of recalibrate after a while? Has anyone given up on a second system, cos they just didn't enjoy enough? My fear is I won't want to listen to it.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Re: How do you like your second system?

Post by rowlandhills »

I have to say that I really enjoy my second system (Sneaky, Majik 2100/D, Majik 109s) and probably spend more time listening to music on it than my main system, even though the main system is much, much better.

The reason is simply how I use both systems, and the fact that the second system is used during all meals and often when I'm working, whereas the main system is used for serious listening (and for watching TV/films).

The second system is very enjoyable, and was even before I opportunistically added the 2100. Do I miss some detail and engagement? Sure, but that doesn't stop me enjoying it anyway!
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Rowland. Do you stream via the Internet much or do you mostly play music stored locally? For the Sneaky option to work for me, then I don't want the hassle of storing my own digital music. I hate managing family photos and videos, let alone a music library. Maybe cos I work in IT, I get very easily frustrated and annoyed by IT the rest of the time.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Never understood the rational for a second system.
Better spending all money on one system and increase the volume.
Or work in the music room if you can't play loud enough.

Listen to something not so good just meters from a turned off great hifi system...no way! Better to work in silence.
But that's me.
It's all about musical understanding!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Mostly local, but that's primarily because my internet connection can't reliably sustain a YouTube video!

I also often send things from my iPhone via AirPlay for stuff the kids want to hear etc. which is surprisingly good.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm with ML here. In my case the (only) system is in the same room I work from when I work from home. But when I work I don't have music on, that waits for when I'm finished. I'm not sure how I could focus on both work and music, especially if I had to turn over/change LPs all the time!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:Listen to something not so good just meters from a turned off great hifi system...no way! Better to work in silence.But that's me.
Yes, this is what concerns me a little.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

David Neel wrote:I'm not sure how I could focus on both work and music, especially if I had to turn over/change LPs all the time!
I do end up spending a fair amount of time listening to a clicking sound, but it's a very high quality one, so not fatiguing :) And it helps get me away from the PC every 20-25 minutes. Besides, I don't play music all day - probably 2 or 3 LP's a day. If I'm up against a deadline, then there's no time for changing LPs and it stays off.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

rowlandhills wrote:Mostly local, but that's primarily because my internet connection can't reliably sustain a YouTube video!

I also often send things from my iPhone via AirPlay for stuff the kids want to hear etc. which is surprisingly good.
Thanks Rowland.

Can you not get Infinity yet?
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Charlie1 wrote:
rowlandhills wrote:Mostly local, but that's primarily because my internet connection can't reliably sustain a YouTube video!
Thanks Rowland.

Can you not get Infinity yet?
I wish! Current status of a fibre connection to my exchange is "There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service" :(

On ML's earlier point, high volumes from the main system rather than low volumes from the second system are not compatible with my family life, for two main reasons:
1 - Other people complain if I have the volume loud, especially in the evening after kids are asleep
2 - My main system also provides the audio for the only TV in the house, and I often want to listen to some music while others in the family watch the TV

If I was the only one in the house, I'd probably only have one system.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I am with Rowland and find the second system ( as long as it is reasonably musical ) very, very enjoyable.

In my case- There is no issue with competition from the main system as it is simply too far away to turn up the volume.

If I were to try - a member of the family would simply turn off the main system.

I have two Sneakys - one with Ninkas and the other with a spare pair of Kef Eggs. Both great as background music when one is trying to do something else. Also great for the kids to listen to their music.

I agree that there is no point in using these systems to 'listen' to music if there is a better system somewhere else.

I find that the problem with the Main system is that it is so distracting that it does not allow for doing any other activity - be it reading a book, newspaper, surfing the net - or even talking to someone in the room.

It simply insists that you listen and enjoy and is very possessive in that respect. I end up turning it off when someone comes in for a chat. I used to turn it down, but with Sagatun Monos - even that does not work.

Second systems allow one to get on with other activities whilst enjoying the music - albeit at a different level.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:Never understood the rational for a second system.
Listen to something not so good just meters from a turned off great hifi system...no way! Better to work in silence.
But that's me.
+1

Matt
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

matthias wrote:
Music Lover wrote:Never understood the rational for a second system.
But that's me.
+1

Matt
I agree, all my attention goes to the one and only system I own for listening. I also have a homerecording studio for music writing and production. This is not bad for listening too but in a way different. Nearfield Adam monitors with firewired mixingconsole from Mackie with inbuilt DAC.
Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

That's the beauty of a DS & an LP12:

DS (radio/mp3) for background (lower volume)
DS (playlist/lossless) for background or critical listening depending on volume & attention
LP12 for critical listening & enjoyment of handling LPs

One system - max return on investment, with the DS saving valuable playing time of Akiva or Kandid.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote:That's the beauty of a DS & an LP12:

DS (radio/mp3) for background (lower volume)
DS (playlist/lossless) for background or critical listening depending on volume & attention
LP12 for critical listening & enjoyment of handling LPs

One system - max return on investment, with the DS saving valuable playing time of Akiva or Kandid.
Exactly what I was going to suggest, Charlie1. I had a second system in the bedroom for a while with a Classic K and Kans but we never used it because music coming down the hall from the main system was more enjoyable even from FM radio.

Since you appear to be in a situation where using your main system while you work is a workable solution I would recommend getting a Sneaky DS (or Majik DS or Akurate DS) and connecting it to your main system. A DS is quite fine for music as background and frees you from additional stylus wear and interruptions to your workflow. If you really don't want to deal with ripping discs you could just subscribe to Tidal as some have found it musical and enjoyable. But ripping the discs isn't that difficult. If you don't want to go the build your own LS-NAS route you can simply get a Mac Mini and Superdrive and setup iTunes to automatically rip any inserted music disc to Apple Lossless. It downloads the tags and artwork as it rips. (You might have to occasionally download a piece of artwork separately if not having it bugs you but you can certainly still play the music without the cover art there.)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for all the excellent replies.

Sneaky DS plugged into the main system sounds like the way to go. Of course, I only have a Kikkin, but could get an Exotik without spending too much.

Many thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Now that you've heard a Linn/Lejonklou system at Chris', you may want to consider a Sagatun pre-amp rather than an Exotic. More money I know, but you'll get more from your LP12 via the Sagatun especially via the direct input, as well as being able to plug in a Sneaky DS.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Aye, and you never know when an ex demo unit could pop up!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I haven't actually got sign off for a second hand Sneaky yet, let alone a new pre-amp! Good idea though.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Sagatun is similar price to a Kandid, and the Sneaky will give you longer to save up for the cart as you'll save on wear... The Exotik will not get the best from your first system investment. You know it makes sense :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:Sagatun is similar price to a Kandid, and the Sneaky will give you longer to save up for the cart as you'll save on wear... The Exotik will not get the best from your first system investment. You know it makes sense :)
I'm saving up for the Kandid. I don't have the funds right now. I put aside some money each month and even with a Sneaky I will need to replace the Akiva in 2-3 years.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Temporary measure: get a Sneaky (on the cheap) and switch cables on the Kikkin for background listening sessions while working, then switch back to the LP12 at the end of a work day, and on weekends. Save the money for the Akiva replacement.

I didn't mean to tease or tempt you into raiding your new cartridge fund - asking about a second system suggested that funds might be available.

An Exotik would likely be a backwards step in your system. As long as you don't mind switching cables, as above, to keep the funds growing it's much better to keep spending focused on your 'first system', and keep a Sagatun in mind as a future upgrade from the Kikkin when funds allow.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:Temporary measure: get a Sneaky (on the cheap) and switch cables on the Kikkin for background listening sessions while working, then switch back to the LP12 at the end of a work day, and on weekends. Save the money for the Akiva replacement.

I didn't mean to tease or tempt you into raiding your new cartridge fund - asking about a second system suggested that funds might be available.

An Exotik would likely be a backwards step in your system. As long as you don't mind switching cables, as above, to keep the funds growing it's much better to keep spending focused on your 'first system', and keep a Sagatun in mind as a future upgrade from the Kikkin when funds allow.
You might be right about the Exotik - I've never compared it to a Kikkin.

Switching cables certainly isn't a long-term solution. I think I will start off with the Sneaky in my study with the K104's and see how that goes. I've got some spare Fredrik soldered K200 as well. If I'm happy enough and using it regularly, then problem solved. If not, then I'll have to connect it to the main system. If it's OK there, then I can worry about the pre-amp. Thanks for your help tokenbrit (and everyone else). Always worthwhile consulting the forum!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I think getting a sneaky would put you on a slippery slope of streaming more than playing your records. .somehow i don't think you'll be playing just 3 flac albums a day while working ..although getting a second system would make sense for when the kids get older ..i can't get near mine since Tidal arrived ..need to call in my kans and intek from my friend ..Small systems can just be as enjoyable especially if it's convenient. ...If you had a 100000k setup an hours walk away ..how often do you think you would use that ..never underestimate the system that's at arms length
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Leo! Some interesting views on this thread. I didn't anticipate so many angles. I presume the SDS/K104's will mostly struggle with music I already have on LP, could be wrong. Tidal is the plan though.