Linn CD player rankings

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ericpike

Linn CD player rankings

Post by ericpike »

I've been out of the loop for a while. How do the Linn CD players stack up against each other? Is this about right (worst to best)?

Mimik
Genki
Karik (latest generation)
Majik CD
Uni SC
Ikemi
Akurate CD
Uni 2.1
Uni 1.1
CD12
poppop

Post by poppop »

Eric,

Majik cd above Ikemi. Akurate cd above 1.1 IMO!

Steve.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

poppop wrote:Akurate cd above 1.1 IMO!
I was able to do this comparison a few times in the past with different units and my impression was that the result depends on the age, the software version (for older units the newest software is not the best), the software settings, and the unit itself - so I see them on par instead.

About the rest: IMHO Unidisk SC is better than Ikemi in terms of tune-dem.

Axel
ericpike

Post by ericpike »

Thanks guys. This is all very interesting, as the Ikemi, SC, and Majik CD all are within a similar price range (used) here in the US. I now have a Naim CD5i, but as I move back to Linn, I might eventually consider changing my digital source. The SC has a lot of extra parts that I wouldn't need, but it would also offer some additional disc formats, which would be nice. How does the preamp section of the SC compare to a late serial # Kairn? Does the SC have unity gain for use with a more modern home theater processor?
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Most people seem to rate the Unidisk SC preamp very poorly, regarding it as the worst part of the package.

I'd think that a Kairn would walk all over it!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linn CD player rankings

Post by lejonklou »

I agree with Axel about the 1.1 vs Akurate. It seems as if all shops run the 1.1:s on latest software, which makes the Akurate win. Fix the software and they are roughly on par.

Regarding the preamp section in SC, it's about as good as the 5103, which means better than any Kairn.

This is my CD ranking from worst to best:
Mimik
Karik/Genki - depends on age/condition/internal cabling/etc
Uni SC/Ikemi - depends on age/condition/internal cabling/software/etc
Majik CD
Uni 2.1
Uni 1.1/Akurate CD - depends on software/internal cabling/condition/etc
CD12
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Overall I agree with Fredrik's listing with the one warning that the first Majik CD player we got in for demo was not as good (tuneful) a player as my personal Ikemi which was one of the last ones made. The Majik CD on demo now and those we have sold since have been noticeably better than the first one. We also preferred the Ikemi to the UniDisk SC but it was very close - close enough that some of the best ears here had to give them a couple of listens to determine which was best.

I also agree that the UniDisk SC preamp is a definite step above the Kairn.
ericpike

Post by ericpike »

Thanks again, to everyone. It seems like the SC might be the most economical choice, since it comes with the pre. I believe it would be good enough for my needs, if it is as good as my old 5103.

The key will be whether the SC can work in conjunction with an A/V processor. In essence, the SC would need to have the option for me to pass through the low level output from the A/V processor (front 2 channels only) to the amp connected to the SC, without the SC affecting the volume. (The volume would be controlled by the A/V processor for A/V sources.) 2 Channel sources would be connected directly to the SC, and the SC would control volume no differently than a traditional set up. I believe the Karin and other 2-channel Linn pre-amps accommodate this with a unity gain option on the Aux input. Anyone know if the SC has this feature? If so, the SC might be the clear answer.

Thanks,
Eric