Kinos vs. Akurate Kontrol vs. AV5103 as a stereo preamp

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Kinos vs. Akurate Kontrol vs. AV5103 as a stereo preamp

Post by rowlandhills »

I've been musing about upgrading my AV5103, which is in use purely as a stereo preamp, although I'd like to have at least an option for a 6 channel input to support possible future AV usage.

I'd been heading towards an Akurate Kontrol, but may have an option to get a Kinos for similar money (both options would be ex-dem/second-hand). Can anyone give any comments on how the two units would compare, both from a tune-dem perspective for analogue stereo usage, and in terms of flexibility for future AV upgrades?

Many thanks.
poppop

Post by poppop »

Rowlandhills,

Im sure there will be, as always, some variation with this.

Ive owned all three at different times. IMO the way you have titled the thread is my order of preference. Kinos - Akurate - 5103. Big step from 5103 to Akurate, less but still a fairly big improvement moving from Akurate to Kinos.

I think, but cant absolutely remember, that the kinos has more video options and has some of the control features of the Kisto which could be useful. To be honest, like you, I mostly used it for 2 channel ;CD/DS/Turntable.

Ive often thought the kinos is a forgotten gem in Linns line up - but I know there are others who dont!

Good luck
steve.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Oh well...I missed out on winning the Kinos auction by £50 :(

Doesn't seem like I'd be missing much by getting an Akurate Kontrol instead though, as I've got no intention of sending video anywhere near it!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Poppop is right that the Kinos is better sounding than the Akurate Kontrol. As far as audio functions they are basically the same with support for all the popular audio formats: DTS, Dolby Digital and ProLogic II with support for 5.1 and 7.1 channel output. The analog and digital inputs and outputs on the back panel are the same on both of them. The Kinos has video switching for composite, S-Video and component video and on-screen menus which are not available on the Akurate Kontrol. The Kinos also has a door on the front with inputs for composite video, stereo audio, S-Video, 2 optical digital and a PC style keyboard plus a headphone output which are not available on the AK. Neither unit supports the decoding of Dolby True HD or DTS HD formats from BluRay discs which would also require a HDMI connection which neither have. But both have a 5.1 channel analog input so they can take those formats where decoded by the BluRay player.

As far as the functions go it sounds like either would function equally well in your application so you just have to make your judgement on the price, availability and sonic differences.
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

poppop wrote:Big step from 5103 to Akurate, less but still a fairly big improvement moving from Akurate to Kinos.
Steve,

I had an Exotik+DA on loan while my 5103 was being repaired. I'm told Exotik+DA = Akurate Kontrol. I was somewhat disappointed with the Exotik - it was roughly on par with the 5103, and in many ways the 5103 had more tune and rhythm.

Funds permitting (and this will be a long-term upgrade) I'll go to Klimax Kontrol and keep the 5103 for surround duties.

Dave.
LP12/Lingo/Ittok/Klyde
Uni1.1 / 5103 / 2250->Espek / 2250->Ekwal / 5105-> Katan