Akurate/Klimax DS FAQ!?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Well, switching to a D-Link Gigabit switch did not solve the problem with the 24/96 files....

BTW, the DS only connects at 100Mb/Full. There is no option in LinnConfig to force it to a higher rate.

I'll install Twonky on my notebook and see how it behaves.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Akurate/Klimax DS FAQ!?

Post by sommerfee »

Music Lover wrote:Any more news regarding this?
Maybe my sentence was sounding a little bit too optimistic, so I changed it. :wink:

Any news? Well, I heard about a private project for a DS-GUI on Nokia N800/N810, but there is no time schedule yet.
Seems the best option today is to use a PC wth LinnGUI SW- who like gaps between the tracks? :roll:
If you use a PC as media server, you can use the VNC viewer on a Nokia N800/N810, so you are actually using LinnGUI on the PC, but wireless.

(VNC: http://www.realvnc.com/, VNC viewer for Nokia OS2008: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vncviewer/)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi vicdiaz,

If you've replaced the hub with a switch then it's looking less likely to be a network issue, but there are networking areas that could still be the cause: -

1. There could be a faulty Ethernet cable causing link errors, so it's worth swapping these out.

2. It's probably worth trying to obtain interface statistics from the switch. See if you can find if the interfaces are showing any CRC errors, alignment errors, runts or collisions.

3. You said that the DS is set to 100Mbps / Full-Duplex. I would expect any switch to auto-negotiate to these settings, but it's worth double checking in case there is a duplex mismatch causing link errors. Also, ensure that the link between PC and switch is also 100Mbps / Full-Duplex. Half Duplex is designed to work with collisions, but from what you've said, it sounds like the DS can't tolerate the accumulated effect of these tiny delays.

4. The Network Interface Card (NIC) within the PC could be faulty. Checking statistics for errors could be tricky and I've no idea how you go about it. However, you can check in Windows that the NIC is set to 100Mbps / Full-Duplex by going into its properties.

Rgds, Charlie
blom

Post by blom »

Axel, maybe this link could be included in your FAQ? Have a look:

http://www.lossless-music.net/

can probably give some hints about these things in general.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Charlie1 wrote:Hi vicdiaz,

If you've replaced the hub with a switch then it's looking less likely to be a network issue, but there are networking areas that could still be the cause: -

1. There could be a faulty Ethernet cable causing link errors, so it's worth swapping these out.

2. It's probably worth trying to obtain interface statistics from the switch. See if you can find if the interfaces are showing any CRC errors, alignment errors, runts or collisions.

3. You said that the DS is set to 100Mbps / Full-Duplex. I would expect any switch to auto-negotiate to these settings, but it's worth double checking in case there is a duplex mismatch causing link errors. Also, ensure that the link between PC and switch is also 100Mbps / Full-Duplex. Half Duplex is designed to work with collisions, but from what you've said, it sounds like the DS can't tolerate the accumulated effect of these tiny delays.

4. The Network Interface Card (NIC) within the PC could be faulty. Checking statistics for errors could be tricky and I've no idea how you go about it. However, you can check in Windows that the NIC is set to 100Mbps / Full-Duplex by going into its properties.

Rgds, Charlie
1. Maybe. Will try swapping cables (if I can find some spare ones...)
2. No stats since it is an unmanaged switch...
3. All interfaces are either 100/Full duplex or 1000/Full duplex, except the DS of course which cannot be checked (AFAIK).
4. Since it is a NAS box (D-Link DNS-323) I need to telnet the unit and check the stats. Will do as soon as I get back home.

16/44 files play wonderfully and no errors at all!
Vic
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

blom wrote:Axel, maybe this link could be included in your FAQ? Have a look:

http://www.lossless-music.net/

can probably give some hints about these things in general.
Links to this site should however comment that some technical informaton might be inaccurate or at least incomplete.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

vicdiaz wrote:3. All interfaces are either 100/Full duplex or 1000/Full duplex, except the DS of course which cannot be checked (AFAIK).
Hi Vic, I think whilst you are experiencing issues, it would be best to ensure all segments between DS and PC are 100Mbps / Full Duplex and not a mix of 100 and 1000Mbps. I don't see what problem this could cause, but simple is usually best! And speaking of which, can you connect the DS directly to the NAS box? That would rule out even more of the network.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Charlie1 wrote: And speaking of which, can you connect the DS directly to the NAS box? That would rule out even more of the network.
And how do I control the DS if not in the network? Remember that my NAS is not a PC and cannot add a 2nd NIC card...

Doh!

The supplied remote control, but its a huge step backwards...
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

An update!

I just downloaded 24/96 Flac files from Linn and they play with no issues at all!!!!
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

It just keeps getting better and better!!

If you Google for "Free FLAC music download" you'll find lots of places with free and LEGAL FLAC downloads!!!

I've just downloaded the whole "Brandenburg Concertos" from the New Czech Radio and plays beautifully!!!

BTW the URL is:

http://www.rozhlas.cz/d-dur/download_eng

Enjoy!!!
Vic
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Since some questions came up about the Nokias, I will try to answer some questions here:

What is the difference between the Nokia 770, N800 and N810?

The Nokia 770 has a slower processor than the N800 and N810, furthermore it has only half the RAM: 64MB instead of 128MB. Furthermore it's no longer supported by Nokia and while the operations OS2007 and OS2008 are avail for the Nokia N800/810, it's only the two years old OS2006 for the Nokia 770. (There are so called "hacker editions" of OS2007 and OS2008 for the Nokia 770, build up by freaks, but they have limitations and not all OS2008 application will work on it.) At the very moment I run a Nokia 770 with OS2008HE and at least the Nokia Media Streamer seems to be surprisingly stable on this unit. But I will report again after a longer test period...

The N810 has a GPS modul inside (for the N800 this is only avail as external unit), furthermore it has a hardware keyboard.

What do they cost?

The Nokia 770 costs about 100 Euros (used), the N800 about 250 Euros (only very few units are available, since Nokia has dropped the production of this unit), the N810 about 400 Euros.

Does the LinnConfig or LinnGUI application will run on the Nokias?

No, the Nokias are running a Linux operating system which is incompatible to Microsoft Windows, so no Linn app will run on them.

What is the Nokia Media Streamer?

It's an application similar to the LinnGUI. But you have a very short but annoying gap between the tracks, you can't use fast forward, and the volume setting is small and therefore very unsatisfactory.

Some pictures can be found here:
http://net9.blogspot.com/2006/09/media- ... a-770.html