New active ATCSCM40 has phase correction

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Per A

New active ATCSCM40 has phase correction

Post by Per A »

Hi,

I like my Akurate Exakt and I am convinced that one big improvement is due to the phase corrective function that makes bass and treble better syncronised. I was therefore thrilled to se that ATC:s newest model has this feature too, at least that is my interpretation of "Filters : 4th Order critically damped with phase compensation."

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/ ... es/scm40a/

As some may remember I recently went back to Linn speakers after having owned ATC active 10 and then passive SCM20.

/Per
Macallan

Re: New active ATCSCM40 has phase correction

Post by Macallan »

Per A wrote:Hi,

I like my Akurate Exakt and I am convinced that one big improvement is due to the phase corrective function that makes bass and treble better syncronised. I was therefore thrilled to se that ATC:s newest model has this feature too, at least that is my interpretation of "Filters : 4th Order critically damped with phase compensation."

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/ ... es/scm40a/

As some may remember I recently went back to Linn speakers after having owned ATC active 10 and then passive SCM20.

/Per
To me it looks different: The ATC seems to use an analog crossover, albeit with some sort of phase compensation (not sure if it is possible to compensate all phase offsets over the entire frequency range in the analog design- would be interesting to see a diagram). Exakt has digital filters before the D/A, as you know, with many more degrees of freedom regarding phase optimization.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This is not actually a new thing. ATC has been using active crossovers with phase compensation for decades. I know it is in my 100ASL units and the 50s and 150s, as well as others. Linn also has had phase compensation in at least some, if not all, of its Aktiv crossovers starting with the original Isobarik Aktiv crossover. It is one of the advantages of an active crossover that a more correct phase alignment can be obtained than with a passive crossover. In the Linn Exakt crossovers it is not that this is a new idea, the claim is just that it is more, shall we say, exact.
Per A

Post by Per A »

OK I did not know that, thank you for sharing.