Advice for speaker stand feet onto tiled concrete floors

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Geoff

Advice for speaker stand feet onto tiled concrete floors

Post by Geoff »

I need some advice on feet for stands onto tile over concrete. As you can see from the photos in this link:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid344182

I did a quick fix with some erasers bolted to the bottoms, ingenious as this is, it isn't the best obviously. I've got a friend who will make me some nice marble bases to bolt to the thin bottoms of the stands, but my question is what feet to contact the porcelain tile? I'm thinking I want something like hard rubber or urethane?

I intend to fill the stands with sand, or ideally lead, but in the country I currently reside, firearms are illegal, so I'm having trouble finding the lead shot.

Any other ideas?
AEDSM,Akurate Exaktbox-i Kat,Akudoriks,K600
Netgear108T,QNAP TS451+,BJC CAT6a
Majik 126,Exakt subbox
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Hi Geoff,

My first thought was 'what are you trying to achieve'? Improving musicality may need a different approach to finding a solution to just protecting your floor (although it's possible to do both).
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Your best bet musically is likely to be using your spikes into Linn Skeets.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I was hoping someone would invoke skeets. I don't understand them. Are skeets a hard ceramic like material? Do they attach to stands, or are the spikes of a stand supposed to sit in a small depression in the top of them while the skeets sit on the floor? What is on the bottom of the skeets? If this is the case then skeets and skeets-like solutions are out because I live in an earthquake prone area. I actually lost a pair of Kan's to a 5ish quake several years ago because they fell off these same stands. So now I religiously take them off the stands to a safer shelf, and stow the stands when not in use. For this reason I want the stands to be a single unit, rather than having to fiddle with floor protectors and stands each listening session. Basically I want to have something that can be bolted to the bottom of the stands (with a nice screw recess) that has a slightly grippy and non-marring finish to protect the tile.

As my setup is relatively humble, and my room horrendously bad for audio, while yes, my main goal is to try to get the stands to do the best job, and sound the best they can. The floor, and ease of use, are equal considerations along with sound for this project. I've played with location, so I basically know the best spot, and I plunk them down there and play, but perfection will never be achieved.

So am I correct that this rules out skeets?

Will heavier marble bases "probably" help as well (on the basis of weight and heft add stability/solidity), or will that be a waste of effort and money?
Majik 126,Exakt subbox
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Hi Geoff,

Soundcare spikes could be the answer for you. Effective and sounds good. I used to have them for my Spendor floorstanders at the time.

http://www.soundcare.no/
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Also try M8 round headed coach bolts instead of the spikes. Put them also on tap washers for a different presentation.
Don beautiful downtown York.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The soundcare things look cool, I've contacted the local distributor, a bit pricey, but would seem to be exactly what I want. Thanks
Majik 126,Exakt subbox
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Geoff wrote:The soundcare things look cool, I've contacted the local distributor, a bit pricey, but would seem to be exactly what I want. Thanks
Your welcome. Good luck!

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

One option to consider if cost is a concern: buy two decent floor tiles that match your flooring, and are big enough to accommodate the spikes on the base of the stands. That way the spikes scratch the tiles, not your floor. If the tiles are big enough, you would be able to place them in the right area, then fine-tune the position of the stands & speakers on the tiles, without damage to your flooring.