New Exaktbox Speaker Mappings

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

New Exaktbox Speaker Mappings

Post by rowlandhills »

Through the Exaktbox (either 6 way Klimax boxes or 10 way Akurate box), Linn are now supporting a much wider range of speakers for Exakt. The full list is here (http://www.linn.co.uk/systems/technology/exakt#upgrade) and now includes the first non-Linn speakers (B&W Nautilus).

As per this thread (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=28140) Linn are keen to know what other speakers should have Exakt mappings, and have noted that anything with an external/removable crossover is easier, of course.

Anyone fancy a pair of Exakt Klångedang T1s?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Andrew L

Re: New Exaktbox Speaker Mappings

Post by Andrew L »

This sounds very much like Devialet's SAM speaker mapping model.
rowlandhills wrote:Through the Exaktbox (either 6 way Klimax boxes or 10 way Akurate box), Linn are now supporting a much wider range of speakers for Exakt. The full list is here (http://www.linn.co.uk/systems/technology/exakt#upgrade) and now includes the first non-Linn speakers (B&W Nautilus).

As per this thread (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=28140) Linn are keen to know what other speakers should have Exakt mappings, and have noted that anything with an external/removable crossover is easier, of course.

Andrew L
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Keilidh..? That would be a true source-first system! What about The pair of Index 2 I have standing in the attic?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Azazello wrote:Keilidh..? That would be a true source-first system! What about The pair of Index 2 I have standing in the attic?
When Linn come out with the digital crossover for your Index 2s, you could mount them on Exakt Dorik Stands for just £9,500 ;) Sadly, you'll be stuck with Akurate level amps... Otherwise you'll need the £10k Klimax Exaktbox, to match the level of your Tundra amps :)
CJ1045

Re: New Exaktbox Speaker Mappings

Post by CJ1045 »

No, the SAM technology runs with the passive crossover still in place. As far as I am aware it does not do any of the critical phase adjustment that the Exakt technology does.

CJ

Andrew L wrote:This sounds very much like Devialet's SAM speaker mapping model.
rowlandhills wrote:Through the Exaktbox (either 6 way Klimax boxes or 10 way Akurate box), Linn are now supporting a much wider range of speakers for Exakt. The full list is here (http://www.linn.co.uk/systems/technology/exakt#upgrade) and now includes the first non-Linn speakers (B&W Nautilus).

stefan

Post by stefan »

Azazello wrote:Keilidh..? That would be a true source-first system! What about The pair of Index 2 I have standing in the attic?
I still have your old Index Plus :-)
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

stefan wrote:I still have your old Index Plus :-)
That's great to hear :)
dubselect

Post by dubselect »

tokenbrit wrote:
When Linn come out with the digital crossover for your Index 2s, you could mount them on Exakt Dorik Stands for just £9,500 ;) Sadly, you'll be stuck with Akurate level amps... Otherwise you'll need the £10k Klimax Exaktbox, to match the level of your Tundra amps :)
I heard that Linn Klimax Aktiv speakers use some hybrid power amps (between Akurate and Klimax).
So I suppose that Akudorik stands use hybrid Akurate-Majik amps. They include 4 X 100W amps. While Akurate 4200 - 4 X 200 W.

The alternative way is Akurate Exaktbox (£4.000) + any power amps you want.

This makes me think that 212 powered by Akurate Exaktbox + a pair of Akurate 4200 amps will outperform Akudorik (212 + Dorik stands).
CJ1045 wrote:No, the SAM technology runs with the passive crossover still in place. As far as I am aware it does not do any of the critical phase adjustment that the Exakt technology does.

CJ
Right. And SAM works only with low frequencies up to 150 Hz.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

A quote from Linn's Q&A last night:
Question: How does the amplification in Exact Akubarik compare to the current range of Akurate level amplification (e.g. 2200 or 4200)?

LINN Dan E: The power amplifiers in Exakt Akubarik are 100W amplifiers with a performance level that is slightly better than the Akurate range of amplifiers.
EDIT: Sorry, reading that again, I had been thinking that this was a quote about the Akudoriks, not the Akubariks, but it seems likely that they are similar spec.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
dubselect

Post by dubselect »

Thank you rowlandhills.
If this is actual for Dorik stands then Akudorik should be a margin and they might come close to K320A in performance.

If so, we are waiting when K320A will be upgraded to Exakt version or may be paired (used) with Dorik stands. :)

The only one problem that nowadays it is impossible to use any Linn subwoofer in Exakt system. I think that sub would be very helpful when used with Akudorik as they just can not produce low bass notes with needed authority.
Last edited by dubselect on 2014-10-01 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

dubselect wrote:Thank you rowlandhills.
If this is actual for Dorik stands then Akudorik should be a margin and they might come close to K320A in performance.

If so, we are waiting when K320A will be upgraded to Exakt version or may be paired (used) with Dorik stands. :)
Don't you mean K320P? Not sure how you could use 320A with external amps...
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
dubselect

Post by dubselect »

rowlandhills wrote:Don't you mean K320P? Not sure how you could use 320A with external amps...
The problem is that there were no Klimax 320 passive versions in production.
So there are only owners of K320A. And I am sure they would like to experience Exakt technology advantage in their systems as well as other Linn speakers owners.

But I think Linn can just substitute Aktiv modules of K320A to passive so that they can be used with Dorik stands. But I doubt Linn will do this.
Most likely Linn may convert K320A to Klimax Exakt 320A by replacing Aktiv modules to Exakt Aktiv modules.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Ah. I see what you mean. Actually, I do think that K320a might be made Exakt capable by using the Dorik stands. It would certainly be less work for Linn to just do the mapping and supply a simple connection plate than to build an entire amp array!
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
dubselect

Post by dubselect »

rowlandhills wrote:Ah. I see what you mean. Actually, I do think that K320a might be made Exakt capable by using the Dorik stands. It would certainly be less work for Linn to just do the mapping and supply a simple connection plate than to build an entire amp array!
Yes. That is true.
But K320A are very similar to K350A. The only one exception is low bass modules which use 350 versions. So Linn can just copy almost all the Klimax Exakt 350A tehnology and transfer it to KE320A.
But K320A are out of production. So... yes, Dorik stands version for K320A (which may include the stands themselves and a pair of passive modules for 320) is quite probable if Linn are not planning to recommence K320 production or just release a new Klimax range bookshelf speaker.
ZincAlloy

Post by ZincAlloy »

dubselect wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:
I heard that Linn Klimax Aktiv speakers use some hybrid power amps (between Akurate and Klimax).
So I suppose that Akudorik stands use hybrid Akurate-Majik amps. They include 4 X 100W amps. While Akurate 4200 - 4 X 200 W.

The alternative way is Akurate Exaktbox (£4.000) + any power amps you want.

This makes me think that 212 powered by Akurate Exaktbox + a pair of Akurate 4200 amps will outperform Akudorik (212 + Dorik stands).
CJ1045 wrote:No, the SAM technology runs with the passive crossover still in place. As far as I am aware it does not do any of the critical phase adjustment that the Exakt technology does.

CJ
Right. And SAM works only with low frequencies up to 150 Hz.
The Akurate 242s are now SAM enabled and I've been playing about with them for the last week or so. Even through the DSP is only active up to 150HZ, the improvement in the midrange and soundstage dimensions as nothing short of staggering. Maybe its because it does actually work on phase alignmnent and other paramters of the loudspeaker. Full description on Devialet website, full review of my experience of Devialet 200, plus Akurate 242/SAM on the Devialet Chat forum.

ATB, Ken